If you were Owen Coyle, would you leave Burnley to manage Bolton?

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you were Owen Coyle, would you leave Burnley to manage Bolton?

This is a very subjective issue and there is no right or wrong answer for this. But I really can't see myself leaving Burnley for Bolton in the current circumstances ?

I understand that Bolton is bigger than Burnley, but how much bigger ?

Coyle has built collated his own players and built his own squad in Burnley

Burnley seem capable of staying up

Has Coyle hit the glass ceiling in Burnley ?

I'd stay with Burnley untill atleast the end of the season. Buy a stirker or someone to get some more goals, thats what they seem to need, hopefully keep them up, then go to Bolton or someone else. You then become a Burnley legend and don't jepodise that with the 2nd season syndrome that will no doubt hit them next season if they stay up.

I think I would.

Burnley has done a good first half of the season, much better than people expected. Now though, I don't see them picking up too many points and I wouldn't be surprised if they went down. That said, I don't think they'll go down, just finish one or two places above relegation.

Being a newly promoted "small" team there's basically no real pressure on the manager, all that comes in the second season so once again, if they manage to stay up that's great but it's the next year the shit hits the fan - so why don't get out as the man who took them to the Premier League?

Bolton on the other hand are truly looking awful but it's a slightly bigger club who's now a Premier League regular. There's more money to spend, better facilities and better players to work with. That plus he'll most likely get a decent pay raise, it's a no brainer isn't it?

You'd have to say that player for player Bolton probably have a better squad than Burnley. Also you have to look at future developments. Turf Moor is a ramshackle old style stadium. Their is no room for improvement without moving to a new stadium. The Reebok, whilst a soulless dump, is a modern stadium with decent facilities. Bolton have excellent training facilities and all that modern science stuff that Fat Sam likes, I don't know about Burnley but I'd imagine their training facilities are average at best.

It is also more likely that Bolton will back him with more money in the January/Summer windows than Burnley would. I can see both teams just about avoiding relegation this season and I'd have to say I think he'd find it easier keeping Bolton up next time around than he would Burnley.

With that in mind if I was him I'd head off to Bolton.

Wasn't Coyle a Bolton player for a couple of seasons?

Would that have any effect on a decision as to whether to make the move.

Personally I would stay at Burnley, seems like a club with some passion about it while Bolton seem to have the worst set of fans in the North West, dead and lifeless and a stadium in Tesco's carpark. 

Beat me to it. Alright it was only 54 appearances but there's obviously something there.

Before I knew about this I thought it was a bit of a pointless move for him.

Personally I would stay at Burnley, seems like a club with some passion about it while Bolton seem to have the worst set of fans in the North West, dead and lifeless and a stadium in Tesco's carpark. 

Surely Wigan fans are worse. 5,000 for an all premiership FA Cup game FFS.

Guest Stephen927

I would feel as though I've taken Burnley as far as they can go. With Bolton there is a chance of mid table security whereas Burnley will struggle massively next season.

bloody idiot

Bolton fans have delusions of grandeur almost equal to ours but they don't have the cash flow or support to ever achieve anything

he'll be unpopular and disliked in 3 months because they think they should be in the top 4 whereas at Burnley he stood a chance of building them into a bottom half of the PL club

I would, but it'd be a difficult decision. A visionary would see that Burnley are at their peak (and should still get relegated) whereas Bolton aren't. Right now, it may look silly but come June, Coyle will still be a Premiershipp manager....with Bolton. He'll have a hard job though.

Depends how much confidence he has in his ability as a manager - he has done a wonderful job at Turf Moor, but apart from the fact that he is a former Bolton player, I cannot see why he would go there unless he feels that he has been lucky at Burnley.

If he GENUINELY feels he has done a better-than-average job at Burnley, he should wait for a bigger club to come in - Burnley are unlikely to go down now unless there is a dramatic collapse in the next 3 months and they have done wonders even to BE in the Prem, so if I was him, I would wait ; lets face it, there will be plenty of opportunity in the close season...

Bolton are such a horrible club, but still bigger than Burnley will ever be.

Can't blame him for leaving if he does. If it were any other club at Bolton's level, I would do it also.

How do you quantify that? Given that most on here claim that we are a "big club" based on historical success rather than current achievements I find this quite funny!

As an interesting aside I was at the Burnley V Bolton game on boxing day and the Bolton fans were chanting for Coyle throughout the game .... brought back memories of the SJP crowd trying to woo Kluivert

Bolton are such a horrible club, but still bigger than Burnley will ever be.

Can't blame him for leaving if he does. If it were any other club at Bolton's level, I would do it also.

How do you quantify that? Given that most on here claim that we are a "big club" based on historical success rather than current achievements I find this quite funny!

As an interesting aside I was at the Burnley V Bolton game on boxing day and the Bolton fans were chanting for Coyle throughout the game .... brought back memories of the SJP crowd trying to woo Kluivert

Bolton could with the right manager stay in the division for years (as they have done) Burnley will go down and never come back within the next two, or they might get a fluky run and keep up for two and go down in the third like Hull (prays for that or even this season) and the likes. This is Burnley's tidemark, it wont get any better, especially if they lose their manager.