If you were Owen Coyle, would you leave Burnley to manage Bolton?

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bolton are such a horrible club, but still bigger than Burnley will ever be.

Can't blame him for leaving if he does. If it were any other club at Bolton's level, I would do it also.

How do you quantify that? Given that most on here claim that we are a "big club" based on historical success rather than current achievements I find this quite funny!

As an interesting aside I was at the Burnley V Bolton game on boxing day and the Bolton fans were chanting for Coyle throughout the game .... brought back memories of the SJP crowd trying to woo Kluivert

Bolton could with the right manager stay in the division for years (as they have done) Burnley will go down and never come back within the next two, or they might get a fluky run and keep up for two and go down in the third like Hull (prays for that or even this season) and the likes. This is Burnley's tidemark, it wont get any better, especially if they lose their manager.

Alternatively I could see a situation where Bolton go down this season and fade into Championship mediocrity. They get fuck all fans as it is in the Premiership, how many would they get for a home game against Plymouth?

Burnley on the other hand are a team who will keep the majority of their fans. I think it was mentioned about the possibility of expanding stadiums etc earlier, well tbh neither would expand their stadiums. Bolton don't have the fans, and as for Burnley the town is just too small to warrant a bigger stadium.

Are you aware that Burnley used this seasons TV money to pay off all of their debts, buy back Turf Moor and the training facilities, rather than spunk the lot on wages for mercenaries. That would leave a sizeable chunk to spend on the playing staff next season should they remain in the premier league.

Either way, I don't think it should be overlooked just how good a job Coyle has done. Graham Alexander playing PL centre mid for god's sake!

I wouldn't - not a big enough move - better biding his time till something better comes along.

pretty much this.  If he can keep Burnley up, better offers will present themselves in due course.

Like they have for Phil Brown and Tony Pulis?

I wouldn't - not a big enough move - better biding his time till something better comes along.

pretty much this.  If he can keep Burnley up, better offers will present themselves in due course.

Coyle comes across as a more likeable person than Phil Brown, and tries to get his team playing a better style than Tony Pulis.

No. I can't see why any manager would swap places between those two clubs at the moment.

I wondered whether Coyle was hoping to use Bolton's interest as a way of getting a better contract at Burnley. I hope I'm not doing him an injustice, but that sort of thing happens all the time.

yes, getting burnley to the top flight is an amazing achievment but thats the limit of what it can do either this season or next they will go down due to their overall budget being small by championship standards never mind premier league standards. Bolton as detestable as they've been in the past are perfectly capable of getting mid-table security something burnley is not and coyle will make more money there for himself.

Also boltons facility's are far superior (stadium and training ground)

Bolton average attendance 21438

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/stats?id=358&season=2009&league=eng.1&leagueId=23&cc=4716

Burnley average attendance 20344

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/stats?id=379&cc=4716

The difference is not significant !?

Bolton's training facility might be far superior - does it really mean anything ?

How would the budget in Bolton be any meaningfully higher than Burnley ? It is not that Bolton have any foreign following that Burnley don't. Once Burnley & Bolton are both in the Premiership - shouldn't their financial income be on the same par given their similar average home attendance ?

If Coyle succeeds in keeping Bolton up - he won't enjoy anymore adulation compared to him keeping Burnley up

If Coyle fails in Bolton - he will be gambling away his Bolton popularity

In Burnley, if they stay up, Coyle will be hailed as the newest miracle

If they are relegated, Coyle will still be a massive hero

Coyle will have all the priviledges in the world to experiment, learn and fail in Burnley. He won't be afforded the same priviledge in Bolton

Unless Coyle is eyeing the potentially lucrative personal wages Bolton could offer, having read through all the posts in this thread, I am still not convinced at all moving to Bolton is a sound move ?

In fairness would you want to employ Phil Brown for any thing?

In fairness would you want to employ Phil Brown for any thing?

He'd make a decent Tango salesman.

Guest Heneage

Are the budgets really as close at both clubs as was suggested though. I mean Bolton spent £8.2 (danke Wiki) on Elmander, and Cahill was what £5m? Muamba £5m, so they have spent money in their time. It's just  the attendances where Burnley seem to match Bolton and have potential to out-do them.

Are the budgets really as close at both clubs as was suggested though. I mean Bolton spent £8.2 (danke Wiki) on Elmander, and Cahill was what £5m? Muamba £5m, so they have spent money in their time. It's just  the attendances where Burnley seem to match Bolton and have potential to out-do them.

Bolton's finances are in a hideous state though whereas Burnley run roughly within their budgets

The problem with Bolton is the fanbase.  Their expectations are incredibly high due to a hangover from the Allardyce era.  Most Bolton fans will be dead by the next time that anyone has Bolton playing European football again(if it actually ever happens), but they still expect to be a midtable Premiership team.  They're a midtable Championship side at best, but the fans don't act like it.  Megson did well to keep them in the Prem as long as he did. 

You have to consider that Bolton have been in the Premiership for many years - naturally they have bigger chips to play.

Burnley have just been promoted to the Premiership. Next season Burnley (assuming they are not relegated) will be on similar financial footing with Bolton, with similar share of TV money, similar share of prize money (assume similar league positions), similar match day income (similar attendance and assuming spend per head is similar). Even if Bolton get more revenue than Burnley, do they get more profit (if at all), considering the overhead, player wages, depretiation and transfer loss?

Both Bolton and Burnley as far as I am aware do not have other source of significant income. Some clubs get shitloads from foreign fans, some clubs get regular big attendance, some clubs have rich local fans, some clubs make profit from player sales, some clubs a combination of all above. Bolton & Burnley as far as I am aware don't really have any of above. So the only factor differentiating them is attendance. And the difference between them is not significant.

Guest firetotheworks

I think it would be a daft decision. Still, if it means Burnley going down and us being able to get Chris Eagles then Im happy.

Anyone that answered "No" really hasn't thought about the bigger picture at all.

Bolton have a wage bill believed to be around 4 times bigger than Burnleys. It was reported that Burnleys top earners are on £12k a week and that Coyle was struggling to match the wages of transfer targets..... from the Championship.

There is far more scope at Bolton for him to achieve things and take another step up the managerial ladder in future.