Blu-ray Advice

MidfieldGeneral

I've just bought my first Blu-ray player and someone has told me that if it doesn't have the latest profile (profile 2.0, bd live) then it won't play the latest disks. I've checked and it appears to have profile 1.1.

I've spoken to someone at Philips and, although he sounded pretty clueless for a tech support guy, he said that it would be easy to upgrade so that it could play everything.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct and also if the latest players have anything else on them other than the new firmware that I might need ?

Ta muchly :)

Plug it in to your modem via a Ethernet cable and it will update itself within 24 hrs.

They don't all have Ethernet ports do they?

Mine does and its 14 months old, would have thought they all do. My TV does as well, again upgrades overnight when plugged in. (which reminds me i should do both, haven't for 6 months)

Btw I've just read your original post again and you've been told bollocks. With 1.1 they'll still play, you'll just not have the Live features, like online content etc.

So that should be the only thing that I cant do with an older player then mate ?

Dont know if I'd bother with the online content so if thats the only added bonus of having a later model I might aswell stick with this rather than fork out more money for something I'll probably never use.

Btw I've just read your original post again and you've been told bollocks. With 1.1 they'll still play, you'll just not have the Live features, like online content etc.

So that should be the only thing that I cant do with an older player then mate ?

Dont know if I'd bother with the online content so if thats the only added bonus of having a later model I might aswell stick with this rather than fork out more money for something I'll probably never use.

The only other thing is larger local storage for content and updates, which you might be able to upgrade on yours using the USB port.

I really wouldn't worry about it. :thup:

Plug it in to your modem via a Ethernet cable and it will update itself within 24 hrs.

They don't all have Ethernet ports do they?

Mine does and its 14 months old, would have thought they all do. My TV does as well, again upgrades overnight when plugged in. (which reminds me i should do both, haven't for 6 months)

They only need one for 2.0 compatibility, by the looks of things. Some TVs do upgrades over the air btw, like that Panny I tried buying.

The only other thing is larger local storage for content and updates, which you might be able to upgrade on yours using the USB port.

I really wouldn't worry about it. :thup:

Cheers for that mate, and TT for replying. Much appreciated :)