Nicky Butt fears this could be his last season

LoveItIfWeBeatU

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/06/nicky-butt-fears-this-could-be-his-last-season-61634-25534943/

Nicky Butt fears this could be his last season

Jan 6 2010 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NICKY Butt has revealed this could be his final season as a player as he looks to help Newcastle United make a rapid return to the Premier League.

Butt is no longer a first-choice midfielder at United.

However, the former England international has been a pivotal figure behind the scenes where his vast experience has helped the Magpies mount their promotion push.

And, despite playing his part over the first half of the campaign, the former Manchester United star fears this could be his last hurrah as a player as he admitted that he cannot be certain his body will be able to cope with yet another gruelling campaign.

But the 34-year-old, who has six months left on his Newcastle contract, will not make a firm decision about his future until June as he is determined to enjoy whatever time he has left as a player.

“I know I haven’t got much longer left so I just want to enjoy playing the game while I can before worrying about what to do once I’ve stopped,” said Butt, who is not the sort of person who will carry on playing just for the sake of it. “I haven’t made any decisions about my future yet. I’m just going to take it as it comes. I’m signed until the summer and I’ll see how I feel then.

“If I’m offered another deal here I’ll certainly think about it, but it will depend how I feel. If I feel great, I’ll carry on, if I don’t, that’ll be that.

“I don’t know if the legs have got another season in them yet, but I’m feeling okay at the moment. I did start my coaching badges a couple of years ago, but it’s been put on hold for now.”

Whether United will offer a player who earns more than £50,000 a week another extension remains to be seen, but Butt’s influence is significant and he could be offered a role as a player-coach.

This has been informally discussed by the Newcastle hierarchy, who have been impressed with his conduct behind the scenes, with manager Chris Hughton indicating last month he felt Butt would be interested in becoming a manager or a coach in the future.

In the meantime, Butt is fully focused on Newcastle’s bid to make an instant return to the top flight as he denied the FA Cup was an unwanted distraction. The Magpies’ failure to turn pressure into goals against Plymouth last weekend means they have added an extra game to an already crowded Championship fixture list – although Butt dismissed the argument the goalless draw was a setback.

He said: “We’re more than happy to still be in the draw. I think the FA Cup is only a distraction if you let it be one and it isn’t as far as we are concerned. We have a squad which can cope with it at the moment as we have not got many injuries.

“We’re not trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes, our priority this season is to get back up into the Premier League. If we can do that we’ll be happy, but we want a good cup run as well.

“It’s about confidence and if we carry on winning in the league and the cup, it breeds momentum. You know, we might get a big game if we progress and that will get everyone excited.”

Butt, who came through the same prolific youth system as David Beckham and Ryan Giggs at Manchester United, is also happy to see the competition give some of Newcastle’s promising youngsters a chance to gain some first-team experience.

And he has been particularly impressed with Hungarian centre-back Tamas Kadar and predicts a bright future for the 19-year-old.

“I thought he was superb against Plymouth,” Butt said. “He has been unfortunate with injuries, he had a bad leg break last season, but if he stays injury free he is going to get a few games here and there and he is coming along really well. He has improved immensely this season.

“The club has tried to sign promising young players over the last couple of years and Tamas is one of those who is starting to emerge now.

“You have to be patient when it comes to young players. He is growing in confidence around the place and you can see that on the pitch. It is really encouraging the progress he has made.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle have confirmed the appointment of former Millwall boss Willie Donachie as assistant academy manager to Joe Joyce.

:celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb:

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

:celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb: :celb:

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

What he said :lol:

You just wait til Ameobi gets sold. I've been working on a smiley masterpiece since 2006, adding to it little by little.

Guest Roger Kint

Would quite like to see him stay on as a coach, under no circumstances as a player though

and what would he coach?

I am going out on a limb to say our footballers ???

Would quite like to see him stay on as a coach, under no circumstances as a player though

and what would he coach?

I am going out on a limb to say our footballers ???

i guess we could let him do that, but id sooner we just let him drive the coach

Guest Roger Kint

i guess we could let him do that, but id sooner we just let him drive the coach

I can see  you have though long and hard about this! Butt has a winning mentality, good work ethics, strong personality and clearly gets respect from players. he worked under the best in the business for much of his career and has huge experience to boot, you cant tell what sort of coach he will be but he has the right attributes to do well, he may fail but i would bet otherwise tbh

Guest Roger Kint

i bet he'll still be voted motm every goddamn week even after he retires

When did he last get voted MOTM? ???