Software to Recover Lost/Deleted Files After A Format.

Crumpy Gunt

After a format you'll be lucky to recover anything with a free undeleter.

Piriform recuva ?

Depends on a lot of things tbh, not least whether you did a full format or just quick and deleted the headers. what else you've written over the top etc.

Get back data recovery...not free (unless you manage to find it on one of those naughty torrent sites), but it works a charm..had to re-format me laptop a while ago and put the OS back on. lost all me photos and music. ran this program and recovered it all. takes a while to scan the hard-drive, but is worth it

http://www.getbackdata.net/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guinness_fiend

In terms of recovering data from a knackered drive, it might be worth taking it to an indepedent PC store, as I know people who've "lost" data according to PC World but have been able to recover a lot of it once a proper PC nut has had a look at it.

I know that it doesn't help, but it order to minimise problems going forward, it might be worth picking up a cheap second hard-drive and downloading a free file syncroniser (it'd copy certain data from your main drive onto your backup, so that if your PC crashes in the future you won't lose anything).

I use Super Flexible File Syncroniser (it wasn't very expensive, but useful).