24 yr old Referee

Belfast Boy

Guest Phil K

To coin the old saying, if you're good enough, you're old enough.

Beat me to it.

Had to hurry - knew there'd be LOADS going to post the same

Springs to mind, didn't it ?

Maybe so, hard to believe he has enough experience though. Stuart Atwell is utterly shit and much the same was said about him. At 24 I thought I knew everything, at 42 I am certain I know fuck all. Experience counts for a hell of lot when youre dealing with the media as well as the prima donnas on the pitch.

Guest Phil K

Maybe so, hard to believe he has enough experience though. Stuart Atwell is utterly s*** and much the same was said about him. At 24 I thought I knew everything, at 42 I am certain I know f*** all. Experience counts for a hell of lot when youre dealing with the media as well as the prima donnas on the pitch.

Well, some of the worst refereeing performances I have ever seen was from experienced refs in their late 30's. Trelford Mills, Neil Coddington, Graham Ashby. (The names stay with you for the damage their awful performances did to team and fans)

Guest Stephen927

Lot of pressure on his shoulders, 24 and refereeing in the biggest and best league in the world. Sometimes experience is not always everything, we've been relying on experienced referees and time after time they drop clangers, time for a change. Good to see he's got a chance.

Guest Phil K

Rob Styles had over 20 years experience, didn't seem to stop him being a plank.

I was trying to think of one more. That was him.

There was another - from Barnsley who i absolutely hated.

Can't recall his name. He sent off Peacock for Chelseas pen, 95-ish, then DIDN'T send off the Chelsea centre half for an even WORSE from the back tackle for our pen (still burns !)

Lot of pressure on his shoulders, 24 and refereeing in the biggest and best league in the world. Sometimes experience is not always everything, we've been relying on experienced referees and time after time they drop clangers, time for a change. Good to see he's got a chance.

True enough. Personally I would prefer they got the pros who drop out of the league early on to do it rather than some kid. Proper training and all. Maybe he did do that? Atwells decisions have been quite amazing. From the ghost goal to control of players it appears he is well out of his depth. Just not sure that many younger referees have the ability to control seasoned pros. Maybe he is just shit rather than young and shit though.

Still cant figure out how a linesman is meant to do the offside law though. How can you look at two places at once? Easily enough with 10 cameras I suppose, hence decisions hightlighted more .

Rob Styles had over 20 years experience, didn't seem to stop him being a plank.

I was trying to think of one more. That was him.

There was another - from Barnsley who i absolutely hated.

Can't recall his name. He sent off Peacock for Chelseas pen, 95-ish, then DIDN'T send off the Chelsea centre half for an even WORSE from the back tackle for our pen (still burns !)

Stephen Lodge?

Guest Stephen927

True enough. Personally I would prefer they got the pros who drop out of the league early on to do it rather than some kid. Proper training and all. Maybe he did do that? Atwells decisions have been quite amazing. From the ghost goal to control of players it appears he is well out of his depth. Just not sure that many younger referees have the ability to control seasoned pros. Maybe he is just s*** rather than young and s*** though.

Still cant figure out how a linesman is meant to do the offside law though. How can you look at two places at once? Easily enough with 10 cameras I suppose, hence decisions hightlighted more .

I don't think there are many referees out there who can control these big shot players no matter what their experience.

The problem with the ex-pros refereeing games is, though they might know the game first hand from playing it many years, chances are they will have too many mates in the game or people they might have had run-ins with in the past etc.

Guest toonlass

True enough. Personally I would prefer they got the pros who drop out of the league early on to do it rather than some kid. Proper training and all. Maybe he did do that? Atwells decisions have been quite amazing. From the ghost goal to control of players it appears he is well out of his depth. Just not sure that many younger referees have the ability to control seasoned pros. Maybe he is just s*** rather than young and s*** though.

I don't think there are many referees out there who can control these big shot players no matter what their experience.

The problem with the ex-pros refereeing games is, though they might know the game first hand from playing it many years, chances are they will have too many mates in the game or people they might have had run-ins with in the past etc.

Time to give them guns?

I think the difference with this lad is that his Dad was/is a football league referee, Clive Oliver, so he'll be fully aware of the pressures that come from refereeing professional players. He's refereed about 10 Championship games this season aswell as Blackburn, Wigan, Man City and Bolton in cup matches. He's also refereed the Conference Play-Off Final in 2007 and the league one play-off final last year, with a crowd of nearly 60,000.

I think it's good to see him geting a chance. Nobody say's anything these days about players making their debuts in the EPL at 17 so why can't a ref do it at 24.

Talking about those who didnt make it rather than those who do but your point is valid. Mind you every referee must have pet hates from previous games - Clattenburg doesnt seem to like Craig Bellamy for instance. Mind you I doubt Bellamy's own mother finds much of virtue in him.

I think the difference with this lad is that his Dad was/is a football league referee, Clive Oliver, so he'll be fully aware of the pressures that come from refereeing professional players. He's refereed about 10 Championship games this season aswell as Blackburn, Wigan, Man City and Bolton in cup matches. He's also refereed the Conference Play-Off Final in 2007 and the league one play-off final last year, with a crowd of nearly 60,000.

I think it's good to see him geting a chance. Nobody say's anything these days about players making their debuts in the EPL at 17 so why can't a ref do it at 24.

Huge difference really. One has to worry about controlling his own game. One has to worry about controlling 22+ those on the touchline and as we know, kids in teams make schoolboy errors and this will be taken into account by all and sundry. Referees aren't afforded the same luxury (nor should they be).

Time to give them guns?

Tasers/cattle prods at least  :thup: