"Late Kick Off" - BBC Coming Soon

Optimistic Nut

I really like watching all the highlights from the football league but the format of that show is absolutely horrific. Some puffter going round all the grounds using stupid innuendos is bad enough but reading out emails, christ.

This will be great...imagine watching highlights of Leeds, Huddersfield, Bradford, Barsnley, Wednesday, Sheff Utd and Donny on a Monday night! Oh and don't forget the Spireites!

Get out me Sombrero and sip on a Caipirinha for some samba football!

Yeah, hardly going to get the viewers in. Think they'd get a lot more if they replaced The Football League Show with regionalised highlights, because at the minute those fans of the above clubs are hardly going to stay up until 1am just to see a couple of goals, but with extended highlights of their own matches in each region, then just the goals from around the country, they'd get more viewers.

I don't give a toss tbh. Fingers crossed we'll be out of this division and I can get back to watching extended highlights of every game on Sky next season.

Three cheers for Sky plus! Huzzah!  :clap2: :cheesy: :clap2:

Guest KeithKettleborough

So far the revelations about it aren't that enticing but can't be any worse than the Football League rubbish on a Sat night.

The way the Beebs standards are falling with regard to football though, it wouldn't surprise me if they have Roger Tames doing the commentaries!  :kasper:

Whats wrong with the Football League show?

whats right?

Ive never seen it myself, which is why I asked.

Everything about it is just poor. For a start off, the two chaps that head it are insipidly clueless and mundane. Manish Bhasin is the less shit of the two, but together they just conjure meaningless chat that they try and pass off as serious intellectual debate. Clardige doesn't watch the game, obviously - how could he watch 50 games of football within a few hours of full time? Yet they both make out all matches have been watched in depth, when infact, their analysis is painfully generic.

There's the direction and setting itself. It's almost as if by having moving cameras and having the presenter gallop about the studio, they think they've modernised Match of the Day into something more interesting, or something. When no, the audience doesn't care - just show us the goals.

And that represents the main fault, really. They spend so much time either talking (or switching to some woman reading out people's text messages - "i fink noocarsul shud av won today" being about as interesting as it gets), that they chop down the time for highlights that the football itself almost becomes second priority.

The general coverage of the games are shite n'all. They're either clipped ridiculously short (due to all of the above), or the cameras are zoomed in about two metres of the ball itself, restricting the viewer's perspective of what's actually going on.

And Mark Clemmit.