Beeb: Togo pull out of ACN

Dave

Adebayor hailed the security who were trying to protect the team.

"To be honest without the security then I would not be here talking. Maybe you would be talking to my dead body. The security have done their job quite well," he told the BBC World Service.

They saved his life and all he could compliment them is by saying "quite well".  :rolleyes: :lol:

translation, i imagine

Why do people talk about Africa as if it's one homogeneous country? It's a fucking huge continent.

It's about 1600 miles from where this happened to South Africa, that's as far away as Libya or the Ukraine is from here. Should Euro 1996 have not been played in England because there was a conflict going on in Kosovo? Of course not that's a ridiculous thing to say, this incident has nothing whatsoever to do with the World Cup in South Africa.

Why do people talk about Africa as if it's one homogeneous country? It's a f***ing huge continent.

It's about 1600 miles from where this happened to South Africa, that's as far away as Libya or the Ukraine is from here. Should Euro 1996 have not been played in England because there was a conflict going on in Kosovo? Of course not that's a ridiculous thing to say, this incident has nothing whatsoever to do with the World Cup in South Africa.

true. there are plenty of other reasons not to have the world cup in south africa mind.

It's a good tournament, but irrespective of the time, no players should be going to a tournament in which their safety is not 100% guranteed.

You could never guarantee anyone's security 100% ever, anywhere.

Ok then shall I rephrase.

They should not put in an enivronment that is currently the subject of a conflict, as was mentioned in the BBC article.

Well, they were driving to Angola from their training camp in Congo-Brazzaville, through a conflict-ridden exclave of Angola. Whose fault was that?

Say, there was a tournament in Scotland, and a team bus travelling from their training ground in the Republic of Ireland got attacked by terrorists in  conflict-ridden Northern Ireland. Would that be a reason to cancel any tournament held in Europe?

games are being held in that conflict ridden region i believe whos fault is that?

They are? That detail escaped me. I thought they were just passing through. Angola's fault, then, I suppose. OTOH, teams had been told by the CAF to fly, not travel overland -- a stipulation that the Togo team ignored.

:facepalm:

They weren't told to fly, the CAF merely "expected" them to fly.

Oh yeah?

There was controversy last night over the fact that the Togo team had travelled into Angola by land, despite the Confederation of African Football stipulating that teams should fly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article6981351.ece

The AFC was at pains to stress last night that the Togolese team did not follow its guidelines on travelling to host cities.

Suleimanu Habuba, director of communications for the AFC, said: "What the regulations state clearly is that all the teams fly to Luanda, or into their host city.

"At no point was the confederation told that the Togolese were going by road."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/08/togo-football-team-ambushed-angola

So they deserved to be shot at and their driver killed?

Christ man, just because they chose to go by bus, doesn't mean they're to blame for what happened.

The issue was about whether security measures could have prevented this happening. I'd say such measures as were supposed to be in place would have stood a better chance if they hadn't simply been ignored, wouldn't you?

It's a good tournament, but irrespective of the time, no players should be going to a tournament in which their safety is not 100% guranteed.

You could never guarantee anyone's security 100% ever, anywhere.

Ok then shall I rephrase.

They should not put in an enivronment that is currently the subject of a conflict, as was mentioned in the BBC article.

Well, they were driving to Angola from their training camp in Congo-Brazzaville, through a conflict-ridden exclave of Angola. Whose fault was that?

Say, there was a tournament in Scotland, and a team bus travelling from their training ground in the Republic of Ireland got attacked by terrorists in  conflict-ridden Northern Ireland. Would that be a reason to cancel any tournament held in Europe?

games are being held in that conflict ridden region i believe whos fault is that?

They are? That detail escaped me. I thought they were just passing through. Angola's fault, then, I suppose. OTOH, teams had been told by the CAF to fly, not travel overland -- a stipulation that the Togo team ignored.

:facepalm:

They weren't told to fly, the CAF merely "expected" them to fly.

Oh yeah?

There was controversy last night over the fact that the Togo team had travelled into Angola by land, despite the Confederation of African Football stipulating that teams should fly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article6981351.ece

The AFC was at pains to stress last night that the Togolese team did not follow its guidelines on travelling to host cities.

Suleimanu Habuba, director of communications for the AFC, said: "What the regulations state clearly is that all the teams fly to Luanda, or into their host city.

"At no point was the confederation told that the Togolese were going by road."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/08/togo-football-team-ambushed-angola

So they deserved to be shot at and their driver killed?

Christ man, just because they chose to go by bus, doesn't mean they're to blame for what happened.

The issue was about whether security measures could have prevented this happening. I'd say such measures as were supposed to be in place would have stood a better chance if they hadn't simply been ignored, wouldn't you?

should the tournament be held anywhere where teams have to fly for general safety from this sort of thing ?

Why do people talk about Africa as if it's one homogeneous country? It's a f***ing huge continent.

true. there are plenty of other reasons not to have the world cup in south africa mind.

True, but they're unrelated to this.

Security will need to be tight in SA for the world cup, but that's to deal with crime. Some people will obviously get robbed or whatever, but there'll be nothing similar to this, they've held other major sporting events (Rugby World Cup, etc) in the past and had no major problems. Don't think there's a good reason not to have the WC there really and it's about time Africa got the chance.

They should just cancel the tournament imo, no way can they guarantee the safety of the players.

Just seen video of the Togo players at the hospital, ambulance staff carrying around a body on a stretcher, could'nt see if the person was alive or not.

Best cancel all international sport while we're about it, after all, remember Munich 1958 etc. Let's all be scared of everything.

They should just cancel the tournament imo, no way can they guarantee the safety of the players.

Just seen video of the Togo players at the hospital, ambulance staff carrying around a body on a stretcher, could'nt see if the person was alive or not.

Best cancel all international sport while we're about it, after all, remember Munich 1958 etc. Let's all be scared of everything.

munich 58 is a poor excuse. munich 72 is far closer.

Guest Roger Kint

I really think you can't compare an European held tournament with an African one.

The amount of s*** going on over there wont be stopped for a very long time.

In terms of infrastructure, security and overall organisation etc theres no way you can compare for the near future..

Garth Crooks has just said the players should 'come home' about five times. Where exactly is 'home' for the Togo players you daft cunt.