What's Your Verdict?

Guest lankybellwipe

Guest lankybellwipe

It seems common acceptance now, that Toon followers are expected to use the term 'Howay' the lads, and Mackem'n Tackems are to use 'Haway' the lads.

Before I went to my first Toon game in the eighties, I always said 'Haway' man! When put under pressure, or duress. I have never, ever,  said 'Howay'..

Why is it, that the SJP match entry tunnel says 'Howay the lads'?  If anything, SJP should have 'Haway', and Mackemandtackem should have 'haweh man, the chips are goin' cold!!"

Howay?

Haway?

Haddaway?

Discuss!

Guest lankybellwipe

Also bear this in mind. When you're in the stands, encouraging the lads, do you shout 'Haway the lads' or 'Howay the lads'?

You shout 'Haway the lads' don't you!!! Cos I and however thousand others in our stand did!

Say 'Howay' to yourself. It doesn't sound right at all.

Sorry to bring another shite thread up, but ......... there y' go!

Also bear this in mind. When you're in the stands, encouraging the lads, do you shout 'Haway the lads' or 'Howay the lads'?

You shout 'Haway the lads' don't you!!! Cos I and however thousand others in our stand did!

Say 'Howay' to yourself. It doesn't sound right at all.

Sorry to bring another shite thread up, but ......... there y' go!

sorry mate but ive been singing howay the lads since the 70s....then again im from north of the river.

its just more stuff the unwashed filth from down the road have stolen from us because they like to think they are geordies when in fact they are stupid sounding 2nd class lifeforms.

Any thing that calls a cUrry a kerry has no leg to stand on when it comes to pronouncing anything

Guest lankybellwipe

its just more stuff the unwashed filth from down the road have stolen from us because they like to think they are geordies when in fact they are stupid sounding 2nd class lifeforms.

Any thing that calls a cUrry a kerry has no leg to stand on when it comes to pronouncing anything

:lol:

At skewl, a mate of mine asked our mackem teacher (Mr. Gordon of Harton Technology college, formerly Comprehensive school :idiot2:) to say curry for a laugh. We got a laugh. My mate however............ did not!

Guest lankybellwipe

More like haway to me, like.  That said, I was born in Ashington so maybe I'm not best positioned to respond.

:lol:

In all honesty, this is not meant to be a funny jab or anything. I have never pronounced it "Howay" and have never heard it that way, and in a few years will never hear anything, because I am slowly going completely and utterly deaf!

(I am now preparing a post response, to reply to a co posters humourous dig :pow:)

a mackem mate of mine says this.  Boils my piss.  I asked him to name that cocaine snorting bint that used to be in Iceland adverts, curious to know whether he'd reply 'Curry Katona'.

I pronounce it Howay but I dont really think it matters in this day and age tbh, Maybe when this whole Howay/Haway thing was created their was a clear difference between how both sets of supporters pronounced the word, but not so much now. There will be mackems that pronounce it Howay and geordies Haway, I think the spelling is more important