Sony re-boots Spider-Man

Kaizero

http://www.screendaily.com/news/production/sony-reboots-spider-man-as-raimi-maguire-leave-franchise/5009541.article?referrer=RSS

Sony has abandoned plans to release Spider-Man 4 in summer 2011 and will reboot the franchise a year later following the departure of Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire.

The development follows recent reports that production delays had pushed back the original May 6 2011 release date – a prestigious slot that was quickly filled by Paramount/Marvel’s Thor, which commenced principal photography today [January 11].

Today it emerged that Sam Raimi was leaving the franchise because he felt he would not be able to come up with a suitable screenplay in time for a summer 2011 release.

The franchise has grossed more than $2.5bn worldwide since it launched in May 2002 with what was at the time a record North American weekend opening of $114.8m that currently ranks as the sixth highest in history.

In a statement issued today Sony said it and Marvel Studios would move forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt, adding that Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin would put together a “new cast and film-making team.” Sony must keep developing ideas for the franchise or else it risks losing the rights to Disney/Marvel.

“A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three Spider-Man films that set a new bar for the genre,” Sony’s co-chairman Amy Pascal said. “We’re very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter’s [Parker] roots…”

Raimi added: “Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job.”

Raimi is understood to be looking at an adaptation based on the World Of Warcraft online gaming phenomenon.

Guest Stephen927

They majorly fucked up the third movie with the amount of villains they tried to cram in. The first two were absolutely spot on, the third tried way too hard. There is a need for a re-boot in the sense that Maguire won't be Spider-Man and Raimi won't be director again, just hope the new guys don't fuck it up by needlessly changing what made the first two so good just so they can make their mark and say they tried something different in their style.

Can't see a point in a re-boot so soon after the 'original' trilogy.

As for why Sony don't pick another super hero, Marvel set up their own studio in the last year or two and they now make their own films so they don't sell the rights to their characters any more. Sony must still have the rights to making Spider-Man films.

As for why Sony don't pick another super hero, Marvel set up their own studio in the last year or two and they now make their own films so they don't sell the rights to their characters any more. Sony must still have the rights to making Spider-Man films.

This has pretty much been why the latest Marvel character based films have been pretty decent, and tie into each other.

I never really thought that much of the Spidermans, not even sure I finished watching the third one.

This has pretty much been why the latest Marvel character based films have been pretty decent, and tie into each other.

I never really thought that much of the Spidermans, not even sure I finished watching the third one.

First two were really not bad. Third was dogshit, tbh.