Insurance claims

ross magoo

Somebody crashed into my car yesterday. Totally his fault which he admitted at the time. He was driving a company van and gave me his work's details so I could contact them about claiming for repairs.

I've taken today off work and phoned them earlier and was given the name of a person to ask for. Every time I phone to ask for this person they've "nipped away from their desk for a minute, try again later". I tried leaving a message on their voicemail but no reply. I'm now pretty much convinced that they're trying to give it the bodyswerve.

I've never been in this situation before. I've got the guy's registration number but I don't want to go to my insurance company because I don't want to do anything that will look like an admission of responsibility on my part. What should my next step be?

Somebody crashed into my car yesterday. Totally his fault which he admitted at the time. He was driving a company van and gave me his work's details so I could contact them about claiming for repairs.

I've taken today off work and phoned them earlier and was given the name of a person to ask for. Every time I phone to ask for this person they've "nipped away from their desk for a minute, try again later". I tried leaving a message on their voicemail but no reply. I'm now pretty much convinced that they're trying to give it the bodyswerve.

I've never been in this situation before. I've got the guy's registration number but I don't want to go to my insurance company because I don't want to do anything that will look like an admission of responsibility on my part. What should my next step be?

Nip round and wait for him after work.

I don't follow your logic there at all. Surely if you don't want to do anything that looks like an admission of responsibility on your part then contacting your insurance company is precisely what you should be doing, rather than getting yourself embroiled in phone calls to the driver's company...that's just madness. Leave it to the insurance guys, they know what they're doing.

Similar thing happened, was turned left with indicator on when a van drove straight into the back of the car.

Admitted he wasn't even looking and it was his fault at the time as did his mate in the passenger seat.

Went through insurance and the other persons work/insurance company tried to claim it wasn't his fault, went on and on and finally a few weeks before we were due to go to court they admitted fault.

If I was you I would contact your insurance company right away as GM said, doing anything else and trying to contact them directly suggests that you have something to hide from your insurance company.

mate , very similar thing happened to me a few years ago, when a load of paint fell out the back of a Van, and splashed my car. I had to get a bodywork company to remove it. They said they would pick up the bill, then , were never there unavailable etc. The bodywork co started hastling me , i simply rang the company involved, spoke to the Area manager, explained the situation. Never heard from them or the bodywork company again.

Just make sure that once the other side admit guilt through their insurers that your policy is 'wiped clean'. When you ring up the incidnet will be logged as a pending claim, and is only reset (so that it doesn't affect your no claims) when the other side have coughed up the dough.

Happened to me, absolutely no guilt on my part, told my insurers but when my next premium came in I had a claim noted. One phone call and sorted, but just keep an eye out for the premium next year