Sir John Hall and Shepherd - One of the biggest football legacies

James

Now I know these two are generally contentious figures when it comes to this club and hopefully this thread wont dig up old board stuff.

However, I was thinking recently, that while the likes of Liverpool, Everton, Portsmouth have failed very badly to upgrade their stadiums, Southampton completely bankrupted themselves doing theres, other clubs moving location and only filling out half capacity, Newcastle United and Hall and Shepherd rebuilt St. James' Park to meet the demands of the modern world.

I've often wondered what would have happenned without the stadium. Regardless it is not something to worry about.

Truth is that now the period of football is very much over, we are left with a great stadium that can get the 3rd highest attendance in the country every other week, where Newcastle fans can go to see the club play.

That alone is a huge legacy that not many chairman in the football club will leave behind.

SJH's legacy was failing to see beyond the £ signs and selling to Mike Ashley, leaving the club in the hands of a care free buffoon.

For all the good SJH did, he ruined it for me with that one act.

Insisting on involving his boneheaded son wasn't overly bright either.

SJH's legacy was failing to see beyond the £ signs and selling to Mike Ashley, leaving the club in the hands of a care free buffoon.

For all the good SJH did, he ruined it for me with that one act.

Insisting on involving his boneheaded son wasn't overly bright either.

Yes, but that is just a temporary thing. People come and go, but St. James' Park is forever.

The previous board and owners did plenty of things right to go with the things they did wrong. I don't think anyone's ever argued otherwise.

St James' Park is excellent and I'm immensely proud of it.

Credit where it's due. Thanks to the Hall - Shepherd era, we have a large, top-class stadium. I'd also add, thanks to Ashley, there's no longer a large debt attached to it. I don't think there's any other club which can make both those claims.

The foundations are there for a revival in time, however bleak things might seem now.

Plenty of clubs now have either improved stadia or brand new ones. I just think whats on the pitch, dugout and boardroom matters more than the stadium.

The previous board and owners did plenty of things right to go with the things they did wrong. I don't think anyone's ever argued otherwise.

I personally think it is the best thing any non-bankrolled by oil board has achieved at any higher level club in the last 20-30 years.

Something that deserves giant plaudits, not the light credit it gets now.

I personally think it is the best thing any non-bankrolled by oil board has achieved at any higher level club in the last 20-30 years.

Emirates? Old Trafford?

Despite the turmoil we've suffered in the last few years, in many ways we're not in bad shape compared to other big clubs.

Bob Murray was extremely unpopular down the road but he also made some brave decisions and did a lot of hard work for his club which has worked out well.

I love the modern SJP and with it's city centre location is justifiably most opposition fans favourite away trip.

Guest toonlass

I really love St James Park and appreciate it all the more after going to soulless identikit out of town stadia around the country. 

Amongst all the outrage about the naming rights being sold, people seem to forget that SJH's plan A was to knock St James' down and build a new ground on the town moor & that he settled for plan B of renaming the Leazes End after himself.

Pleased plan A didn't come off, would hate us to be playing in a huge version of all the new 'flat pack' stadiums.

Despite the turmoil we've suffered in the last few years, in many ways we're not in bad shape compared to other big clubs.

Bob Murray was extremely unpopular down the road but he also made some brave decisions and did a lot of hard work for his club which has worked out well.

I love the modern SJP and with it's city centre location is justifiably most opposition fans favourite away trip.

more so down to the nightlife and shopping than SJP methinks.

SJH nad fred gave us some fantastic times and the best football i've seen in my life....but they left no legacy.

The stadium at the Castle Leazes site would have been fantastic. The book Fortress St James' has the architect designs that were knocked back thanks to the No Business on the Moor meddlers.

So Shepherd didn't put the club at risk by overspending, making s*** managerial appointments, spending the sponsorship money for 4 years in one go?

if thats aimed at me?

I'll think you'll find that the Halls were still majority share holders, and as such ALL the crap regards managers etc had to be agreed by them also!!! its been done to death man. ffs

As chairman, the decisions were down to him.

At Arsenal, who do you think makes the footballing decisions? Major shareholders Usmanov & Kroenke, or chairman Peter Hill-Wood?

Now I know these two are generally contentious figures when it comes to this club and hopefully this thread wont dig up old board stuff.

However, I was thinking recently, that while the likes of Liverpool, Everton, Portsmouth have failed very badly to upgrade their stadiums, Southampton completely bankrupted themselves doing theres, other clubs moving location and only filling out half capacity, Newcastle United and Hall and Shepherd rebuilt St. James' Park to meet the demands of the modern world.

I've often wondered what would have happenned without the stadium. Regardless it is not something to worry about.

Truth is that now the period of football is very much over, we are left with a great stadium that can get the 3rd highest attendance in the country every other week, where Newcastle fans can go to see the club play.

That alone is a huge legacy that not many chairman in the football club will leave behind.

Good OP. While I've slagged of Shepherd plenty on these board - and with good reason - both he and especially SJH were men with big visions. The execution might have left a bit to be desired but you can't knock the conviction. Personally i thought things went downhill when SJH stepped aside and Freddie took the reins, but we have a lot to be proud of it's true.

The stadium at the Castle Leazes site would have been fantastic. The book Fortress St James' has the architect designs that were knocked back thanks to the No Business on the Moor meddlers.

Yeah I remember that...tree hugging bastards!

Yesterday's announcement comes five months after Newcastle City Council took the unusual step of inviting the club to submit a planning application for the Castle Leazes site amid growing fears the club was set to quit the city boundaries for a new home in Gateshead across the River Tyne.

That would have gone down well.

Yesterday's announcement comes five months after Newcastle City Council took the unusual step of inviting the club to submit a planning application for the Castle Leazes site amid growing fears the club was set to quit the city boundaries for a new home in Gateshead across the River Tyne.

That would have gone down well.

:nods:

more so down to the nightlife and shopping than SJP methinks.

SJH nad fred gave us some fantastic times and the best football i've seen in my life....but they left no legacy.

Sure, many factors make Newcastle a top venue for away fans.

Some have even told me they got their breakfast made for them next morning ???