Harassment at work

davy_fulla

Anyone ever experienced it?  I've suspected it for a while but have came to the conclusion today that I'm being harassed/bullied by my boss and other people around him.  It's took a lot for me to say that but seeing as I don't know yous personally it seems a bit easier to do.  It's having a real effect on my family life and it's gonna get me depressed if it carries on.

I've been looking for a new job for ages but never had any joy.  I'd leave if I could but as the main earner in the house and another baby on the way I've got to stick at it.

Advice please  :-[

Guest toonlass

Sorry to hear about that mate. Is there anyone senior to your boss, or someone in human resources you could speak to? What kind of thing (if you don't mind me asking) is happening? You must be feeling really low at the moment. Keep on looking for that other job, but make sure you have someone you can talk to about this, because it can drag you right down.

It's been an accumulation of things over the months.  It feels like they're playing mind games to force me out - why I don't know.

It's got really bad this week after I had 2 days off because I was snowed in.  My manager was on leave last week and his stand-in (cunt of a bloke) made it clear he thought I was trying it on - even though I'd already said I'd be working the days back so I haven't gained anything.  When I got back to work this week I find out from staff in other departments that my bosses stand-in had made a point of going round telling people I couldn't be arsed to come in and I was just trying it on.  This was even though I'd texted him photos of the car stuck in the snow as evidence.

He's obviously been slating me to my proper boss as he's had it in for me all week.  Without going into the details of each conversation everytime I've spoken with him this week he's made a point of trying to make me look like a twat.  His deputy tells me to do something, I do it then get shot down off my manager saying I shouldn't have done it.  They sit together most of the day so he knows what I'm being told to do before he shoots me down for it.

Today was the clincher.  They decided 2hrs before my finish time that there was too much snow on the roof weighing it down and I would have to get a group of lads together to shovel the snow off the rooftop which is about the size of 4 football pitches.  Funny that this snow was OK last week when it was twice as deep.  My boss also made a point of dragging me down by asking loudly in front of colleagues if I 'knew the difference between a spade and a shovel.' We were slipping about all over the place and I told my boss it was dangerous to work I was ignored and told to get on with it.  We grafted like dogs and had to stop when it got dark.  I got an absolute toasting when I told him we had cleared all we could for the day.  Basically got accused of being incompetent and told I would have to clear it myself tomorrow or they would have to close the building down.  I'm basically being given impossible jobs and being ripped to bits when I can't complete them.

I've maybe gone on a bit and it maybe sounds like I'm being petty but these are just a couple of examples of things.  All I know is it's having a bad effect on me and I need out sooner rather than later.

Guest toonlass

You have to start making notes of this stuff to be honest. With dates and times the things are happening. If he makes you go up on the roof to shovel snow tomorrow (which is just ludicrous imo) take a photo of the roof with your phone as evidence. If they the sack you or you decide to leave because of this shite you can do them for bullying. Is your boss the head man or is there someone above him?

HR or senior management(above your boss) is the best bet matey

if you can send an email to your boss, HR and a senior manager expressing your concerns

that way your boss is aware that your feeling the way you do and have involved HR.

hope it works out for you man

You have to start making notes of this stuff to be honest. With dates and times the things are happening.

:thup:

What's your grievance procedure? Ideally you need to explore every possible option before taking it further (i.e. making a claim against them).

Also read the ACAS stuff in the link above. I'd offer more advice, but it's a few years since I did (basic) employment law so don't want to tell you any lies.

You have to start making notes of this stuff to be honest. With dates and times the things are happening. If he makes you go up on the roof to shovel snow tomorrow (which is just ludicrous imo) take a photo of the roof with your phone as evidence. If they the sack you or you decide to leave because of this shite you can do them for bullying. Is your boss the head man or is there someone above him?

:nods:

Do you have any sort of union representation?

HR or senior management(above your boss) is the best bet matey

if you can send an email to your boss, HR and a senior manager expressing your concerns

that way your boss is aware that your feeling the way you do and have involved HR.

hope it works out for you man

Once HR get a whiff of Harrasment its like the spanish inquisition.  Becareful and monitor what happens next week, if they really do start taking the piss bring HR in and if you are in a UNION contact them straight away.

You have to start making notes of this stuff to be honest. With dates and times the things are happening. If he makes you go up on the roof to shovel snow tomorrow (which is just ludicrous imo) take a photo of the roof with your phone as evidence. If they the sack you or you decide to leave because of this s**** you can do them for bullying. Is your boss the head man or is there someone above him?

I'm gonna get a video commentary on my phone tomorrow to show what the conditions are that I'm being basically forced to work in.  I used to keep a diary a while ago when I worked in a different part of the business and was working crazy 15 or 16hr days with 10 min lunch breaks.  I stopped keeping that when I moved into my current role as it seemed to be going OK for the first week or two.

Basically, there's me then my boss then the Regional Director above him.  But you wouldn't believe the working environment if you'd never worked there yourself.  They don't recognise any union and the only way we have to raise issues is by visiting the Personnel and Welfare Co-ordinator who just happens to have the office right next to the RD.

You have to start making notes of this stuff to be honest. With dates and times the things are happening. If he makes you go up on the roof to shovel snow tomorrow (which is just ludicrous imo) take a photo of the roof with your phone as evidence. If they the sack you or you decide to leave because of this s**** you can do them for bullying. Is your boss the head man or is there someone above him?

I'm gonna get a video commentary on my phone tomorrow to show what the conditions are that I'm being basically forced to work in.  I used to keep a diary a while ago when I worked in a different part of the business and was working crazy 15 or 16hr days with 10 min lunch breaks.  I stopped keeping that when I moved into my current role as it seemed to be going OK for the first week or two.

Basically, there's me then my boss then the Regional Director above him.  But you wouldn't believe the working environment if you'd never worked there yourself.  They don't recognise any union and the only way we have to raise issues is by visiting the Personnel and Welfare Co-ordinator who just happens to have the office right next to the RD.

I take it its a small company then?

Nah it's a massive company mate.  I'm actually a manager myself.

Dude, you might be complete cunt for all I know, but no one deserves to be treat like that, especially at work when all you're trying to do is make money for your family. Blef's given you some good advice there, even if it doesn't mean anything legally, taking notes on it and dates/times means whoever you end up complaining to (higher management) will know you're serious about ending this.

You shouldn't be embarrassed to admit it, I'm pretty sure GM has talked about stuff like this in the past, He'll probably have something to contribute. Good luck anyway mate.

Situation sounds ridiculous. Nobody should be trapped doing stuff at work that makes them feel like you do - especially when your financial status is critical (baby etc).

As well as doing what others have said, you should seriously consider redoubling your efforts to find a new job. Widen your horizons if you're not having much luck.

Nah it's a massive company mate.  I'm actually a manager myself.

So if its a massive company why are your colleagues acting linke small time cunts??

If its a massive company you should have a code of conduct document etc.

you said your boss doesn't recognise a union, go to HR then.