SJP calculations

Stifler

I've been doing some calculations to see what capacity SJP would have if the Gallowgate extension was to ever go ahead, and this is what I have came up with.

If the Gallowgate end was extended to a mirror image of the Leazers end, that would add another 8,102 to the Gallowgate, which at a current capacity SJP of 52,387 would take capacity to 60,489. This would make SJP bigger then the Emirates Stadium which has a capacity of 60,355. This would mean that as things stand, SJP would be the 2nd biggest club ground in England.

However what I have not taken in to consideration is the fact that thier is a gap in the Gallowgate corner for Ambulance access, it is not known how many seats would be added if this gap was not there, so I cannot include that into the new Gallowgate. However I do imgaine it would more then likely be around the 1,000 mark, which if I'm correct would take capacity of SJP to 61,489. This would give SJP a bigger capacity then Celtic Park which has 60,837, which would then make SJP the 2nd biggest club ground in Britain as things stand.

It's defo just over the 60k mark, taking into account the second L7 corner that would be created. Remember a thread like this a good while ago.

Think we'd be looking at about 80k in the realms of fantasy, where the entire ground would be built up.

Doubt we'd ever fill an 80,000 seater stadium, certainly not on a regular basis.

Would look fucking special though. Surely the Gallowgate could be extended - from a physical (not financial) point of view?

Doubt we'd ever fill an 80,000 seater stadium, certainly not on a regular basis.

There is zillions of scummy charvas & uemployed people who given the right pricing, pay on the day & of course a decent team to watch would gladly sit in sky seats.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I know it would be a waste of money because we'd never fill it but I would love to see it done, just to see how epic it would look.

I've been doing some calculations to see what capacity SJP would have if the Gallowgate extension was to ever go ahead, and this is what I have came up with.

If the Gallowgate end was extended to a mirror image of the Leazers end, that would add another 8,102 to the Gallowgate, which at a current capacity SJP of 52,387 would take capacity to 60,489. This would make SJP bigger then the Emirates Stadium which has a capacity of 60,355. This would mean that as things stand, SJP would be the 2nd biggest club ground in England.

However what I have not taken in to consideration is the fact that thier is a gap in the Gallowgate corner for Ambulance access, it is not known how many seats would be added if this gap was not there, so I cannot include that into the new Gallowgate. However I do imgaine it would more then likely be around the 1,000 mark, which if I'm correct would take capacity of SJP to 61,489. This would give SJP a bigger capacity then Celtic Park which has 60,837, which would then make SJP the 2nd biggest club ground in Britain as things stand.

Not sure what point you're trying to make?

If we built a new tier on the Leazes, and extended it round at that height all the way, could make us the second biggest club ground in the world. But it's about as likely as what you're suggesting.

IF SJH had had his way, we would have had a 75,000 seater retractable-roof stadium back in 1996/97 - his illness and withdrawal from the Chair meant that the City Council were given an easy ride by Fletcher & Co, hence the success of Potty Dollar & co in blocking the Leazes Park project.

We would have had the biggest stadium in Britain as this was before Man U expanded OT.

As things have turned out, its perhaps just as well it didn't happen, but those claiming we wouldn't have filled it should remember that when it was first mooted, we had a permanent sell-out of STs. and a waiting list of 20,000....

A bit different now boys, isn't it..!!???

Guest Roger Kint

As things have turned out, its perhaps just as well it didn't happen, but those claiming we wouldn't have filled it should remember that when it was first mooted, we had a permanent sell-out of STs. and a waiting list of 20,000....

Suppose that comment matches the daftness of this thread, would that be the same 1996/97 in which SJP held under 37000? Now i dont need to be a genius to see that 20000 + 37000 still comes a fair bit short of 75000 ;D

The whole point I was trying to make is that, if we get promoted, establish ourselves as a Premiership club again, with the right backing this is the capacity we could realsiticaly have at SJP. If we can manage that, plus us hosting games in the 2015 Rugby world cup, and hoefully the 2018 football world cup and hoefully within the next couple of years, an owner who will back us, this is highly possible.

Guest Roger Kint

I'd rather we kept a 52,000 we can fill every week than have a 80,000 we never fill.

:thup:

This

Although if it ever became possible to rebuild the East stand then fair enough just to modernise it

I see what youre saying chris, just over 60k is an ideal capacity for us to have should we be challenging on a consistent basis. I have no doubts we would fill it every week with all the glory hunters etc.

Challenging on a consistent basis is the never going to happen dream, though.  :lol:

I'd rather we kept a 52,000 we can fill every week than have a 80,000 we never fill.

:thup:

This

Although if it ever became possible to rebuild the East stand then fair enough just to modernise it

Fuck that shit man. Modernising football grounds and stands is part of what has changed football so much over the years. Keep it old school.

Is the East Stand still the biggest canteliver (sp?) stand in Europe? Can remember me Dad telling me once that it was.

That could be wildly inaccurate. Can't find out about it on the net.

EDIT: Wiki says yes. Cool.