The "Random question about accessories" Thread

Mike

Anyone have any experience with HDMI to DVI cables? What did you use for audio?

More specifically, I'm planning on picking up a 360 with HDMI output, but I only have DVI on this monitor. Can I still use the big cable for audio, or do I need to come up with something else?

More specifically, I'm planning on picking up a 360 with HDMI output, but I only have DVI on this monitor. Can I still use the big cable for audio, or do I need to come up with something else?

Don't know for definite, but after having a quick look around, this seems to be right. The problem you may run into is that the HDMI cable and component cable may not be able to be connected at the same time (because of their size, and position on the back of the 360). Apparently the newer component cables are thinner, and should work ok...

Don't know for definite, but after having a quick look around, this seems to be right. The problem you may run into is that the HDMI cable and component cable may not be able to be connected at the same time (because of their size, and position on the back of the 360). Apparently the newer component cables are thinner, and should work ok...

Yeah, that was my main concern. So if I pick up an Arcade, the cables that come with it should be OK for the sound, and it won't interfere with the cable I buy for video?

Is there much of a difference in quality between VGA and HDMI/DVI?

You need to upgrade...... to a new face.

:lol: :lol:

I nearly soiled myself.

:lol: I don't get it!

Righteo Mike, I'm going to let you in on a little secret - it's a good one this, and it'll come in handy.  If people on here are basically talking absolute bollocks and laughing and making no sense at all, there's an excellent chance that they're talking in Alan Partridge quotes, a very good chance indeed.

Check this out from about 2:15 onwards.  Actually just watch all of both series, they're all on YouTube and they're superb.

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xytOtEDPaGA&feature=PlayList&p=632935FB2E8F3CDF&index=7

Well shit, the joke makes no sense! I didn't even use the word upgrade!

:lol:

Aye well I can't speak for Tooj but you were implying that you were upgrading in a sense, and you don't need much excuse for a Partridge quote imo.  Will you watch them Mike?  I'd be interesed to hear what you thought, being an American with canny taste.  Watch em man, let me know what you think.

Aye well I can't speak for Tooj but you were implying that you were upgrading in a sense, and you don't need much excuse for a Partridge quote imo.  Will you watch them Mike?  I'd be interesed to hear what you thought, being an American with canny taste.  Watch em man, let me know what you think.

I saw and loved the first series a year or so ago. I've seen bits and pieces of the second, but haven't plowed through them just yet.

Yeah, that was my main concern. So if I pick up an Arcade, the cables that come with it should be OK for the sound, and it won't interfere with the cable I buy for video?

Is there much of a difference in quality between VGA and HDMI/DVI?

I was in same situation. Basically I left my existing cables in, and then put an additional HDMI cable in the HDMI port. The only problem with this is that the casing of the Xbox cables is too chunky. So basically I just took the plastic casing off and then all is gravy.

The other option is to buy the official Xbox HDMI cable, as it includes a weird audio out cable.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/3d/5e/bfd6810ae7a01adc7f2ec110.L.jpg

The official cable is about $50. I know which route I'd be going down. You can't beat a bit of tinkering with shit to make it work. Fuck, I remember making my own crossover ethernet cables when I just started using xbox live. :lol:

The official cable is about $50. I know which route I'd be going down. You can't beat a bit of tinkering with shit to make it work. Fuck, I remember making my own crossover ethernet cables when I just started using xbox live. :lol:

Figure I'd do what Dan did. Grab that HDMI to DVI from somewhere (saw it for 10 earlier) and then just try to gorilla it in there with the cable that comes with the system. I'd only need it for the optical out. I have two cables lying around here, I might just try cutting one of them and seeing what happens.

Bang on.

Bang on.

Wasted it, imo.

• 1 month later...