The "rules of association football" thread

James

I was having a debate in the pub earlier. One guy reckoned that if an opposition defender was behind the opposition goalkeeper, and the attacker was between the two when the ball got passed to him, then the attacker would be offside. I think that's wrong, but thought I'd pass it on to someone who knows the rulebook better than I do.

I was having a debate in the pub earlier. One guy reckoned that if an opposition defender was behind the opposition goalkeeper, and the attacker was between the two when the ball got passed to him, then the attacker would be offside. I think that's wrong, but thought I'd pass it on to someone who knows the rulebook better than I do.

Offside, there needs to be 2 players between attacker and goal. It's usually assumed to be 1 because it's unlikely that the keeper wouldn't be the last man back...

I think...  :undecided:

2 defending players between last attacker and goal line. End of thread.

He bears the truth. Being onside requires of two defenders between the attacker and the goal, people tend to think it's only one because they don't count the GK, which is usually always there.

Offside, there needs to be 2 players between attacker and goal. It's usually assumed to be 1 because it's unlikely that the keeper wouldn't be the last man back...

I think...  :undecided:

this

Put another way - there has to be two defenders between the attacker and the goal-line for the attacker to be onside. It doesn't matter whether the defender is a goalkeeper or an outfield player.

Actually, I've probably confused things there. Hopefully not.

Put another way - there has to be two defenders between the attacker and the goal-line for the attacker to be onside. It doesn't matter whether the defender is a goalkeeper or an outfield player.

Actually, I've probably confused things there. Hopefully not

Its the use of the word "Defender" that's unneccesary. It shold just be referred to as "Any 2 players of the Defending Team".