Is the defence now of Premier League standard?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's not entirely to do with being quality, it's about having an understanding and operating as a unit. Last season we had a new Centreback, an unsteady back four and constant changing and mixing round of players. Part of our stern defence this year, is the communication and understanding the players now have.

You have Colo and Enrique working with Jonas, all three are Spanish speakers, now I could be wrong, but imo, I think that helps all three, they communicate and have no uncertainty. They know to cover each other, Coloccini knows to hang back as he doesn't have recovery pace. He now lets Taylor be the ball winner and charge out, while he often sweeps up behind him, which works because he's a more compoesd player, and is better technically.

Enrique plays tight to Colo and uses his fantastic pace to cover Colo.

So really IMO, it's a case of we now have a defensive unit, if we could get a similar midfield unit that passes and moves , we could survive comfortably, but it's all 'What ifs ' at this point.

Good post. I hope they all stay clear of injury/suspension because as mentioned in the OP I think we've been chopping and changing the defence too much over the years. Hopefully if we go up, this season will have been a good chance to get a real solid understanding going between them all.

It's not entirely to do with being quality, it's about having an understanding and operating as a unit. Last season we had a new Centreback, an unsteady back four and constant changing and mixing round of players. Part of our stern defence this year, is the communication and understanding the players now have.

You have Colo and Enrique working with Jonas, all three are Spanish speakers, now I could be wrong, but imo, I think that helps all three, they communicate and have no uncertainty. They know to cover each other, Coloccini knows to hang back as he doesn't have recovery pace. He now lets Taylor be the ball winner and charge out, while he often sweeps up behind him, which works because he's a more compoesd player, and is better technically.

So really IMO, it's a case of we now have a defensive unit, if we could get a similar midfield unit that passes and moves , we could survive comfortably, but it's all 'What ifs ' at this point.

Pretty good assesment.

If Taylor ever goes a brain he'd learn his weaknesses as Colo has begin to do and compensate for them instead of running around pointing all over the shop like a moron trying to do everybodies job like he normally does and has done for many years.

Guest toonlass

Got to agree with Kezman, and I think Simpson, despite his bad game on Monday, is a canny little defender and will develop into a decent right back. We have more pressing problems with our midfield, which is crying out for an attacking minded body there, preferably on the right hand side, and a settled strike partnership developed, Lovenkrands and one other would be my prefered choice.

Guest Heneage

Pretty good assesment.

If Taylor ever goes a brain he'd learn his weaknesses as Colo has begin to do and compensate for them instead of running around pointing all over the shop like a moron trying to do everybodies job like he normally does and has done for many years.

It's expected really, he's playing for his club and he wants to impress, and it often leads to 'tries too hard' syndrome. I think with a good manager, or even just a good defensive coach, someone with experience, and a similar game to him, (like Vidic or Terry) the all action crazy CB he could improve drastically, it's all about learning when to go in and not.

We could do with another left back as cover but otherwise yes the defence as a unit isn't half bad. I've seen us compete with a lot worse in the premier, of course then they had far better players in front of them.

We could do with another left back as cover but otherwise yes the defence as a unit isn't half bad. I've seen us compete with a lot worse in the premier, of course then they had far better players in front of them.

Don't matter who you have in defence if you don't have a midfield in front of it.

Don't matter who you have in defence if you don't have a midfield in front of it.

Everyone is making this same point. Obviously the defence comes under a lot more pressure if the game is played in our half, and with midfielders who don't have the legs obviously we end up sitting back for long periods and giving up possession.

It looks like we have it sussed on here.

If we dont sort the midfield out we wont be joining the premier league to test the defence.

WBA looked as though they had more players on the pitch than us the other night.

With their superior mobility closing down the space when we had it and finding space when they had it.

In fact take our 2 outstanding individuals on the left flank of Jose and Jonas away and we would look a very mediocre side. One midfield workhorse is the very least we need to find and quickly.

Regardless of the midfield/rest of the team, it's interesting to see just how split opinions are according to the poll.

I say yes, but I mean we're only talking about PL survival here, right? I mean, it's hardly a top 6 back four or whatever.

Depends entirely on how much protection the 4 in front of them provide. We need to be defending as a team not just a back 5.

That's the only answer to this. As personnel, them five are probably more than capable of competing at a reasonable Premiership standard. But they're not good enough to prevent being utterly pissed on by the majority, down to our shocking midfield.

I think that back 5 is a better set of defenders than most of what the bottom half of the Premier League have, playing together consistently this season is certainly helping them develop as a unit. That said we will definitely need a few more bodies in as there is absolutely no depth.

We all know where the problem is tbh, the midfield has been our achilles heel for about 5 years now. The lack of protection the defence will get from the current bunch of cloggers in midfield will cost us just as it did last season. We need 2 central midfielders at minimum when we go up. They don't have to be world beaters, just fresh, mobile who can pass the ball economically and offer a bit of energy. I really hope the management realises this, because getting in these kind of players along with a Jonas-like threat on the other side (preferrably with crossing ability) and I feel we'd have a balanced side more than capable of staying up next year. Obviously the striking department is very short aswell, but the midfield is the biggest requirement definitely - without improving it we'd be as good as down as far as I'm concerned.

It's such a pity Barton and Guthrie haven't had the chance to forge some kind of partnership this season. The most diverse and footballing game - from our centre-mids - last season, was at home to West Brom, where those two played. We weren't particularly solid through the middle but as i say - that's what could have been useful this year, to have two box-to-boxers playing together and finding their strengths/weaknesses. Barton's such a fucking joke man, i know some injuries can't be helped but this guy's just been beyond injury prone. I don't even assosciate him with the club nowadays.

Best keeper in CCC

x-Man Utd player @ RB

England U21 captain

Argie international

Spanish U21 international

All sounds good to me.

Is "THE WARDROBE" at Portsmouth fucked? Colo & Taylor are not bad they are just over exposed to things such as the high ball from deep as Smith is too small & Butt cant jump. They would really benefit from having a big fucking DM in front of them, that player would  be the 1st player to challenge the high ball, they then could cover other attackers & hold the defensive line better. If Papa is fucked lets find someone else as people who are broke are no use to us.

Barton has blatantly been rushed back too many times. I really want him back in the team though, He's our best central midfielder by a distance.

Fully agree especially with Carr confirming what i've thought for a fair while. A lot of secondary injuries were pretty much self inflicted, people coming back from injury and then going down again.