Right footed left wingers, left footed right wingers!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Becoming increasingly popular

City have done it with Bellamy and petrov, Villa have it with Young and Downing, England do it with Gerrard, Cole and Newcastle do it with Jonas :) to name but a few

There is definately something in this, i remember how effective Ginola was cutting in off the left, particularly remembering the Man U goal.

As a right footed player i would much rather tackle with my right foot so if i was a right back i would want the winger to go on the outside as much as possible, and vica versa if i was a left footed left back. If you are a right footed, left winger you would be more inclined to cut in off the left, with a view to unleashing a shot on goal, playing a slide ball or switching the play, however, if you do decide to go on the outside most players at that level have the ability to stand a cross up with their weaker foot. Defenders would have to make most of their tackles with their weaker foot, which would cause more uncertainty. Jonas is far more effective on the left than he is on the right for this reason, he is obviously more confident on his right side but he can stand the occasional effective cross with his left.

I make this thread because:

- I dont necessarily think a right footed Right winger is the way forward, Jerome Thomas proved the other night how effective a right footed left winger could be.

- Loven might be a good option on the right if we can get a speedy forward in

Guest toonlass

City have done it with Bellamy and petrov, Villa have it with Young and Downing, England do it with Gerrard, Cole and Newcastle do it with Jonas :) to name but a few

There is definately something in this, i remember how effective Ginola was cutting in off the left, particularly remembering the Man U goal.

As a right footed player i would much rather tackle with my right foot so if i was a right back i would want the winger to go on the outside as much as possible, and vica versa if i was a left footed left back. If you are a right footed, left winger you would be more inclined to cut in off the left, with a view to unleashing a shot on goal, playing a slide ball or switching the play, however, if you do decide to go on the outside most players at that level have the ability to stand a cross up with their weaker foot. Defenders would have to make most of their tackles with their weaker foot, which would cause more uncertainty. Jonas is far more effective on the left than he is on the right for this reason, he is obviously more confident on his right side but he can stand the occasional effective cross with his left.

- I dont necessarily think a right footed Right winger is the way forward, Jerome Thomas proved the other night how effective a right footed left winger could be.

:facepalm:

No, no, a million times no! Lovenkrands is a striker, first and foremost. He plays in the middle when he has to, and does not really like it, and has spoken about it before.

Guest sicko2ndbest

It all depends what system you want to play, if you want your wingers to cut inside then you change them around but this only tends to be used in 4-3-3 formations from what i've seen. However if you want your winger to work as an old fashioned wide midfielder then he goes outside and whips crosses in.

It all depends what system you want to play, if you want your wingers to cut inside then you change them around but this only tends to be used in 4-3-3 formations from what i've seen. However if you want your winger to work as an old fashioned wide midfielder then he goes outside and whips crosses in.

Thanks for that, Mr. Hansen.

Thanks for that, Mr. Hansen.

:lol:

there's still width, people getting to the touchline to deliver a cross, but increasingly now it tends to be full-backs more than wingers. When Arsenal had Pires and Cole down the left they were a good example of this.

there's still width, people getting to the touchline to deliver a cross, but increasingly now it tends to be full-backs more than wingers. When Arsenal had Pires and Cole down the left they were a good example of this.

Doing so increases pressure on the opposition's box, since with the wingers cutting in the defenders have more players to mark and it increases the likelihood of mistakes.

Main issues are with not being able to switch the play from left to right unless Simpson has pushed on BUT without the ball we have our right back totally exposed.

Main issues are with not being able to switch the play from left to right unless Simpson has pushed on BUT without the ball we have our right back totally exposed.

Having both fullbacks pushing forward is quite dangerous, even Barça doesn't do that. If we want to switch play we usually do it via one of the central midfielders drifting and offering an outlet (this is commonly done with Iniesta going to the left when Alves pushes on the right)

What you need if you're going to take up this option is have a winger who is actually ABLE TO KICK THE FUCKING BALL WITH SUFFICIENT STRENGTH AND ACCURACY WITH EITHER THEIR WEAKER OR FAVOURED FOOT AND NOT MAKE PEOPLE THINK WHY THE FUCK WAS LEE CLARK NICKNAMED 'JIGSAW' WHEN THIS CUNT WOULDN'T BE TRUSTED TO GET ALL OF THE FUCKING PIECES BACK IN THE FUCKING BOX FROM AN INCH AWAY.  That's just what I think anyway.