Commentators

Astroblack

Most of them are arseholes that just bot man united. Tyler especially. Motty is a bit of a loon who jizzes his kecks everytime Rooney so much as does his laces. As far as I can tell they just have class voices (Motson, Brackley). Andy gray knows his stuff but often has a tendency to be biased towards man utd and wolves as he did when we played in the FA cup a few years back.

It's all about this man....

Stuart Hall  :celb:

Not sure what his name is but the guy who used to do football italia and now does ITV games is good. Also the guy who does the main games on Scottish radio is great. My most hated is the guy who does the ITV champions league games, I honestly can't stand that twat.

Barry Davies - brilliant. knowledgable but without being crap and patronising like Motson who for some reason always was rated higher than him.

Barry Davies was ace, those clipped, BBC tones were a throwback to the classy days of the corporation.

Motson was never a patch on him, but always used to get the big gigs.

Right...here's my fave football commentators.

David Coleman-Would even bring life to a dull nil-nil.Every important match,well live ones mainly,the BBC would give him the job,after Wolstenholme retired.Had the perfect commentating voice.

Barry Davies- Same mould as Coleman really,but with a tad of humour also.Far better than Motson,who he played second string to.

Brian Moore-Another with a great commentating voice.

On the radio-Peter Jones stands out,his reporting of the Hillsborough situation really did bring hairs up on your neck,and apparently,the emotion of that day led to his death,he never got over seeing what he did.

Honourable shouts to Alan Parry,Ian Darke and Gerald Sinstadt.

Will never forget Moore's commentary on our FA SF at Hillsborough when Supermac scored the 2 goals - was spot-on with the excitement. I liked Moore both as a programme host(WC)and a commentator.

Nowadays, Tyler is about the best.

I used to do a bit of commentary when I worked in local radio and it's honestly 1000 times harder than it looks. Trying to idetntity the players and come out with decent sounding stuff is really challenging, especially when you have to talk continuously for 45 minutes.

I think the best commentators are Martin Tyler, Jon Champion, Peter Drury (although he annoys me sometimes) and Guy Mowbray. Best co-commentators are Jim Beglin and Alan Smith IMO.

I used to do a bit of commentary when I worked in local radio and it's honestly 1000 times harder than it looks. Trying to idetntity the players and come out with decent sounding stuff is really changing, especially when you have to talk continuously for 45 minutes.

I think the best commentators are Martin Taylor, Jon Champion, Peter Drury (although he annoys me sometimes) and Guy Mowbray. Best co-commentators are Jim Beglin and Alan Smith IMO.

Totally agree, I tried it out at a broadcasting museum/gallery once and it was impossible!

I think the TV commentators need to realise that they don't have to talk all the time though... people can see what's happening. Radio is different of course, but I think cricket and tennis commentators on telly are pretty good at keeping quiet and letting the action speak for itself.

I don't mind when commentators on TV just name the player who has the ball. I hate the way they think they have to talk non stop and fill the gaps with inane crap they've read in the papers and old clichés. Unfortunately they're all guilty of that. I wish there was an option on the TV coverage to have no commentator but still have the crowd noise. I have no desire to listen to them kiss the arse of ROOOOONEY, Stevie G and the like. I always find that NUFC are cast in the role of the 'baddie' by commentators, no matter who we are playing. It is a fact that if you went to a match and the guy next to you said the stuff commentators come out with for all the match you'd want to kill them.

I've always thought Derek Rae (ESPN US and International) was well-informed, very clear and just generally good at his work.

I liked him too. Him and Tommy Smyth and his onion bag. They were really enthusiastic and made the game feel a bit more epic than it was.

Was bummed when they switched from ESPN to FSC, because we only get some crappy solo commentary on Euro games. There's nothing worse than solo commentary. 

Derek Rae  - Yes - knowledgable and handles games really well

Tommy Smyth's Onion Bag - Terrible - no understanding of the actual LOTG just uses Laws of Tommy Smyth

I also like the Fox Soccer (US) commentator Roger Valdivieso who does the Agentine League games on FSC because he is clearly a Boca Juniors fan and I tune in to watch the Boca games so I don't really mind. But he is knowledgable about Argentine soccer so he is good for the broadcast.