UK Terror Threat Level "Severe"

GM

Oh shit... :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

UK terror threat level 'severe'

The UK terror threat level is being raised from "substantial" to "severe", Home Secretary Alan Johnson has said.

The new alert level means a terrorist attack is considered "highly likely". It had stood at substantial since July.

It is in response to the perceived increased threat from international terrorism following the failed Detroit airliner bombing on Christmas Day.

Mr Johnson stressed there was no intelligence to suggest a terrorist attack was imminent.

The decision to raise the threat level was made by the UK's Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC).

THREAT LEVEL SYSTEM

# Low - attack is unlikely

# Moderate - attack is possible, but not likely

# Substantial - attack is a strong possibility

# Severe - attack is highly likely

# Critical - attack is expected imminently

Mr Johnson said JTAC kept the threat level under constant review, making its judgments based on a broad range of factors, including the intent and capabilities of international terrorist groups in the UK and overseas.

He said: "We still face a real and serious threat to the UK from international terrorism, so I would urge the public to remain vigilant and carry on reporting suspicious events to the appropriate authorities and to support the police and security services in their continuing efforts to discover, track and disrupt terrorist activity."

Mr Johnson said the new level meant people needed to be "more aware".

The decision to raise the threat level was not specifically linked to the failed Christmas Day bomb attack on a plane bound for Detroit or to any other incident, he said.

He said the government would not reveal specific intelligence details.

"We never say what the intelligence is and it would be pretty daft of us to do that," he said, adding: "It shouldn't be thought to be linked to Detroit or anywhere else for that matter."

But the UK had not reached the highest threat level of "critical", which would mean an attack was imminent.

Move mirrors US

He added: "We have a very adept and very focused counter terrorism facility in this country, which consists of many police officers as well as security officers, so the public should be reassured by that."

The US Department of Homeland Security said the move meant the UK would be on a similar level of alert to America.

In a statement it said: "The UK is raising their measures to effectively where we are with the airport security measures that we have taken and announced over the last few weeks.

"We have enhanced our security measures and communicated specific information to industry, law enforcement and the American people."

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford said the perceived threat from Yemen since the Christmas day attempted attack may be one factor behind the decision to raise the threat level.

But he added that there might be additional factors which have not been revealed by the government.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown announced on Wednesday that direct flights between Yemen and the UK were to be suspended over fears about their safety.

The change in threat level comes days ahead of two major international conferences on Yemen and Afghanistan in London on Wednesday and Thursday.

There are five levels of terror threat, ranging from low - meaning an attack is unlikely - to critical - when an attack is expected imminently. Severe is the second highest level on the scale.

The threat level was first made public on 1 August 2006, when it was set at severe. It was raised to critical on 10 August that year after a series of arrests over an alleged plot to blow up transatlantic aircraft but lowered to severe again the following week.

The threat level was last at critical in June 2007, following the attack on Glasgow Airport and the failed car bombings in central London.

Story from BBC NEWS:http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/8476238.stm

Published: 2010/01/22 22:01:29 GMT

© BBC MMX

Would it be horribly cynical of me to suggest this threat level being raised has more to do with Labour polling so badly at the moment than it does to any specific or real terror threat? ???

Would it be horribly cynical of me to suggest this threat level being raised has more to do with Labour polling so badly at the moment than it does to any specific or real terror threat? ???

depends how the news goes over the weekend tbh.

:sadnod:

Also a bit unsure why they can raise the level despite not having any idea if a terrorit attack is going to take place. Bit hitty-missy isn't it?  ???

to be fair i think the level goes up and down all the time.

No, it's been at substantial since July last year.

The following is what I posted on another forum.

So, unless they can give an indication of where a strike is going to happen theirs no real point in the terror threats for the general public, for the social services but not for your average Joe. I highly doubt many people actually go onto the website regualry to see what the threat level is in anyway, unless it's across the front page of every newspaper and on all the TV channels no one would really know.

Too cynical, there's nothing to gain really.  If anything, it's just Alan "Play It Safe" Johnson, er, playing it safe.  Doddery old cunt.

Perhaps it's a message to the terrorists.

What sort of message would that be then? ???

"Not right now, lads. We've been worrying about all this terrorism so much that it's gone and given us the most almighty migraine"

Perhaps it's a message to the terrorists.

What sort of message would that be then? ???

"Not right now, lads. We've been worrying about all this terrorism so much that it's gone and given us the most almighty migraine"

Divvent ask me. Perhaps the 'chatter' that our protectors are overhearing is affected in some way by this. I can only imagine it's the terrorists who give a toss about the Terror Level Threat in the same way it was only the Ruskies who ever gave a fuck about the Defcon threat.

So the "threat" level had previously been "substantial" since July, and in that time we had zero terror-attacks, right? Therefore their definition of "substantial" is "no threat whatsoever", or in other words, there is no substance to their "substantial". Well forgive me if I don't immediately run out into the garden and start digging a bomb-shelter, but on that scale "Armageddon!!!111" probably equates to some Asian bloke wandering past the gates to Buckingham Palace. Alan Johnson says that they have no intelligence to justify this, so the WOPR, sorry I mean JTAC, have basically had a bit too much to smoke, got the fear and changed the bulb from amber to red. It's total bullshit.

So the "threat" level had previously been "substantial" since July, and in that time we had zero terror-attacks, right? Therefore their definition of "substantial" is "no threat whatsoever", or in other words, there is no substance to their "substantial". Well forgive me if I don't immediately run out into the garden and start digging a bomb-shelter, but on that scale "Armageddon!!!111" probably equates to some Asian bloke wandering past the gates to Buckingham Palace. Alan Johnson says that they have no intelligence to justify this, so the WOPR, sorry I mean JTAC, have basically had a bit too much to smoke, got the fear and changed the bulb from amber to red. It's total bullshit.

Let's hope you don't end up eating those words though, eh?

Basically it's a load of panic scaremongering to everyone, but it fails because people really couldn't give a shit, sad but true. It's not going to stop people getting on buses, going to football games etc it never will. Whats a sadder fact is that no one really gives a shit if terrorists do attack, unless someone they care about gets caught up with it.

I remember the 7/7 attacks, I rang my dad because he had a chance of being in London at the time, though he didn't really have much of a chance of being on the tube or the bus (I didn't know back then it was only on the tube and bus where the bombs were going off) and when he replied and said he was nowhere near the bombs etc I didn't give a shit about the bombs anymore.

A similar thing happend last year when their was a bomb found at the council offices in Doncaster, I rang family I have who live there tio make sure they were away from the area, fact is most of them didn't even know about. It's a sad fact but it's true, most of us will never give much of a thought to this sort of crap anymore, even so if one went off not many off you would think about the victims if no one you knew was hurt in a bomb, atleast not for long in anyway.

It's like the 4 minute warning for if nukes go off, whats the fucking point? Not one of us knows the 4 minute warning signal, and by the time we worked it out it would be too late, besides who actually knows where the nearest nuclear bomb shelter is, and if it's within 4 minutes of where you are now? Fact is their probs isn't even a nuclear bomb shelter outside of London in the UK, so the 4 minute warning is a load of bollocks. The same reason why this threat level is a load of bollocks, no one knows where the attack is going to take place so why fucking bother telling us one may take place?

I bet you a thousand pounds that you, I, and everyone we know, don't die at the hands of a terrorist within the next 5 years*.

Up for it?

*The only reason I put a time limit on it, rather than saying "ever", is because I want to get my hands on the money before I'm dead. ;)

Basically it's a load of panic scaremongering to everyone, but it fails because people really couldn't give a shit, sad but true. It's not going to stop people getting on buses, going to football games etc it never will. Whats a sadder fact is that no one really gives a shit if terrorists do attack, unless someone they care about gets caught up with it.

I remember the 7/7 attacks, I rang my dad because he had a chance of being in London at the time, though he didn't really have much of a chance of being on the tube or the bus (I didn't know back then it was only on the tube and bus where the bombs were going off) and when he replied and said he was nowhere near the bombs etc I didn't give a shit about the bombs anymore.

A similar thing happend last year when their was a bomb found at the council offices in Doncaster, I rang family I have who live there tio make sure they were away from the area, fact is most of them didn't even know about. It's a sad fact but it's true, most of us will never give much of a thought to this sort of crap anymore, even so if one went off not many off you would think about the victims if no one you knew was hurt in a bomb, atleast not for long in anyway.

It's like the 4 minute warning for if nukes go off, whats the fucking point? Not one of us knows the 4 minute warning signal, and by the time we worked it out it would be too late, besides who actually knows where the nearest nuclear bomb shelter is, and if it's within 4 minutes of where you are now? Fact is their probs isn't even a nuclear bomb shelter outside of London in the UK, so the 4 minute warning is a load of bollocks. The same reason why this threat level is a load of bollocks, no one knows where the attack is going to take place so why fucking bother telling us one may take place?

There's a nuclear bomb shelter where I work. :D

I wouldn't accept that bet indi, but simply because I'm not an arrogant prick who thinks he knows the future. I'm someone who has been chastened by the past few years of his own life experience, to know better than to make such cocksure assumptions about anything.

I bet you a thousand pounds that you, I, and everyone we know, don't die at the hands of a terrorist within the next 5 years*.

Up for it?

*The only reason I put a time limit on it, rather than saying "ever", is because I want to get my hands on the money before I'm dead. ;)

Someone kill him in an act of terrorism and get yourself a hold of a few quid.

I wouldn't accept that bet indi, but simply because I'm not an arrogant prick who thinks he knows the future. I'm someone who has been chastened by the past few years of his own life experience, to know better than to make such cocksure assumptions about anything.

Okay, you spend your time worrying about being killed by a terrorist and I'll spend mine worrying about being killed by a meteor-strike. O0

Mine's slightly less likely, but way more interesting: http://reason.com/archives/2006/08/11/dont-be-terrorized

Do you seriously actually worry about this shite? What a waste of your time if you do.

Reminds me of this: "Sir, try and remain calm. You're experiencing a classic knee-jerk, paranoid reaction to a terror situation. It's essential at this time that we - IT'S THE WALL! [shoots the wall] Shame overload. I... I... I sorry."

Guest toonlass

I used to work at the Ministry and we had a little board with the likelyhood of attack on it. It went from Amber to Black depending on the level of threat. I never saw it change from either of these when I worked there. Never worried me, even when we had the weekly "bomb threat" from some nutter who had nowt better to do.