Taylor out for season?

Wallace

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6999464.ece

January 23, 2010

Steven Taylor blow for Newcastle’s promotion charge

George Caulkin

Taylor is understood to have suffered knee ligament damage during the 2-2 draw with West Bromwich Albion on Monday after a challenge by Roman Bednar, the Czech centre forward.

The extent of the problem emerged after scans and treatment, with Newcastle’s medical staff expressing concern that Taylor’s campaign could be over.

The club are now under further pressure to sign defenders during the transfer window, with only Danny Simpson having been recruited, from Manchester United.

Having been turned down by Matthew Kilgallon, the centre half who left Sheffield United for Sunderland this week, Chris Hughton, the Newcastle manager, has turned his attentions to James Perch, the versatile Nottingham Forest player, and Mike Williamson, the Portsmouth defender.

Forest, however, have described Newcastle’s offer for Perch as “derisory”, and while Portsmouth accepted a £900,000 bid for Williamson, that deal has been thrown into doubt after it became apparent that selling him was not viable.

Williamson joined Portsmouth from Watford last summer, but has not played for them since his £3 million transfer and the financially troubled Barclays Premier League club would be obliged to pay the outstanding balance on the transfer if he moved to Newcastle on a permanent basis. The clubs were attempting to agree a loan arrangement last night.

Newcastle have a promising young defender in Tamas Kadar, but the loss of Taylor, 23, who has formed a formidable partnership with Fabricio Coloccini and has long been hailed as a future full England international, will be felt keenly. Newcastle have kept 14 clean sheets in the Coca-Cola Championship this season.

Well thats a bit disasterous if true.

Reckon Kadar will have a part to play in rest of the season, hopefully he'll step up. Aslong as Hughton doesnt put Simpson in central defence over him again which is very possible sadly. Obviously a defensive signing is very important now then.

Panic! :frantic:

Why make this public while we are negotiating for defenders?

Surely it just weakens our position. I'm all for freedom of the press but the timing is unfortunate.

We must have been worried that Portsmouth's buffoonery was starting to make us look respectable. Well this has shown them who the real clowns are!  O0

This would explain our obsession with defenders of late.. reckon they knew taylor was injured before the brom game in fairness. Kadar better be at cb back today or I will be livid if they attempt to play either simpson or butt at cb.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Damn.

I reckon we'll see Simpson featuring at CB more than Kadar though, with Hughton in charge and all that.

This is a massive massive blow.

But if we replaced Taylor with a Davies loan and Williamson in as cover, it'd push us slightly away from squeaky-bum time - doubt it'll happen like.

This would explain our obsession with defenders of late.. reckon they knew taylor was injured before the brom game in fairness. Kadar better be at cb back today or I will be livid if they attempt to play either simpson or butt at cb.

They knew he was going to suffer knee ligament damage before it happened? :lol:

Guest Geordiesned

Re: the Curtis Davies link. Read yesterday (end of a Chronicle article I think) that he doesn't want to go out on loan and wants to fight for his place at Villa.

They knew he was going to suffer knee ligament damage before it happened? :lol:

I meant they knew he was carrying a slight knock before he played (cause a few people have already claimed he was struggling during the game). Not saying it has a direct link to what happened with him colliding with bednar. I guess it did sound kind of stupid the way i'd typed it. :lol:

Guest Geordiesned

Ashley has got away with his incompetant transfer policy so far but focus will well and truely be back on him if his failure to invest in a squad sees up drop out of the top 2. Injuries in football are inevitable but Fat Ash is too dense to realise this simple fact. With a huge 10 games coming up over the next 5 weeks, many of which will be played on heavy pitches, it's hard to envisage no further injuries. Then we'll see just how poor Ashley's bargain basement squad really is.

Panic! :frantic:

Why make this public while we are negotiating for defenders?

Surely it just weakens our position. I'm all for freedom of the press but the timing is unfortunate.

He injured himself on Monday night, and it's just became public 4 days later by one journalist. Hardly like we've advertised the fact is it?

Sadly, can't imagine even this getting us into gear. If he's out for the season I can just imagine hughton reeling out the 'well Taylor's back so that's like a new player' when we fail to strengthen before the next campaign as well.

On the plus side it'd mean he'd fail a medical of anyone's still trying to buy him.