Standard of Refereeing

ChrisMcQuillan

It seems to be falling drastically, across the board.

The other week at SJP I brought along a friend of mine, a uni student who's a qualified ref and has refereeed Man United reserve matches for one thing.

He got every call right, even though they looked wrong to me.  He saw everything the actual referee couldn't.

So the question is, how are these incompetent morons getting to ref these matches?  They're ruining the game for everyone.  Decisions lately have been utterly woeful, and not just for us.  The Bellamy penalty the other night is a prime example.

It's a fucking disgrace, like.

Is this based on today by any chance?

Not particularly.  I know the ref was supposed to be awful today, but I haven't seen the highlights so I can't judge.

However, watching games on the tele from PL and Championship, and also from what I'm seeing at SJP just suggests a nonsense quality of ref.

I watched Jonas get rugby tackled to the ground right in front of me at St James and the ref gave nothing.

Is this based on today by any chance?

Not particularly.  I know the ref was supposed to be awful today, but I haven't seen the highlights so I can't judge.

However, watching games on the tele from PL and Championship, and also from what I'm seeing at SJP just suggests a nonsense quality of ref.

I watched Jonas get rugby tackled to the ground right in front of me at St James and the ref gave nothing.

Jonas probably got a 5 though for all of the extra roles he added on top of it.

I've been whinging about referee's for a few years now. How many games do we see decided by refereeing decisions? The sport is a joke.

Not very many.

every game, where he awards a goal tbh.

Cheers mate. ;)

Reffing from the stands is a lot easier than from the pitch, but we do seem to have had a run of shockers in the past few games.

We're never going to get perfection from referees, but we need to try and limit mistakes. I don't think the standard is any worse than it's ever been though, I think we just have more scrutiny and TV coverage, as well as players becoming better at cheating.

I've been whinging about referee's for a few years now. How many games do we see decided by refereeing decisions? The sport is a joke.

Surely every sport is decided by refereeing decisions? Football, rugby, cricket, gymnastics..- I can't see what point you're trying to make there.

That fucking prick today was the worst i've seen since Gerald Ashby in the league cup a t Arsenal.

Referees can make bad decisions but when the are inconsistent they can only look like they're cheating.

Regardless of whether he thought Shola was fouled he should have stopped the game as he was injured because that's what he did all afternoon before and after.

Is it really any worse than it has been? Or is it the fact that due to the sheer amount of technology we have nowadays every mistake comes under the spotlight and is scrutinised enormously.

One thing for the refs on here as well; are referees being hamstrung by the rules? Can they not use their own decision making ability if they feel a rule is wrong and let games flow at times? Or if they do this do they get reprimanded at all by the top bosses?

Is it really any worse than it has been? Or is it the fact that due to the sheer amount of technology we have nowadays every mistake comes under the spotlight and is scrutinised enormously.

One thing for the refs on here as well; are referees being hamstrung by the rules? Can they not use their own decision making ability if they feel a rule is wrong and let games flow at times? Or if they do this do they get reprimanded at all by the top bosses?

Definitely, on both counts.