Do You Believe

Kaizero

Do you believe in intelligent life in space?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in intelligent life in space?

• Yes
    • No

Do you believe in intelligent* life in space?

* By "intelligent" I mean on the same level of intelligence as humans or more intelligent than humans. Also, saying humans does not count. Yes, humans live in the universe, but I mean lifeforms other than earthbound humans.

As side questions, do you believe we'll encounter some (if existent) within the next 100 years? Do you believe they've been here? Do you believe that the UN and such know about this, but covers it up for us mere mortals?

And why do you believe/not believe in intelligent life in space?

No - if there was something as intelligent as ourselves we would have communicated by now.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/3-1.jpg

Everyone of those are galaxies with planets revolving around a "sun". Isn't it almost unprobable that not one of them have had the same amount of coincidences leading to the formation of life, and the chance of developing into intelligent life? Seeing how that's just 0.001% (probably even less) of all galaxies out there?

kiezzy...eveyone of them galaxies is actually billions of suns with plants revovlving around them

Language barrier :( I of course meant galaxies with tons of solar systems in them. :blush:

the size us actually incomprehensible

* By "intelligent" I mean on the same level of intelligence as humans or more intelligent than humans. Also, saying humans does not count. Yes, humans live in the universe, but I mean lifeforms other than earthbound humans.

As side questions, do you believe we'll encounter some (if existent) within the next 100 years? Do you believe they've been here? Do you believe that the UN and such know about this, but covers it up for us mere mortals?

I'd like to think it's out there though I'll admit I don't have any grounded basis for believing it other than the observation that we're obviously here so it's possible. 

I don't think we'll encounter any for the next 10,000 years nevermind 100.  Unfortunately, the distance is too great between us and stars with planets on which life as we know it could flourish, even accounting for the possibility of near-speed-of-light vessels. 

I'd like to think it's out there though I'll admit I don't have any grounded basis for believing it other than the observation that we're obviously here so it's possible. 

I don't think we'll encounter any for the next 10,000 years nevermind 100.  Unfortunately, the distance is too great between us and stars with planets on which life as we know it could flourish, even accounting for the possibility of near-speed-of-light vessels. 

What if we assume wormholes exist, and this alien civilization is so advanced they know how to take use of them?

What if we assume wormholes exist, and this alien civilization is so advanced they know how to take use of them?

That's asking a lot really.  But even then, given the unfathomable vastness of the universe, what would lead them to our remote little speck?  Pure chance?  The odds are so overwhelmingly against that I can't seriously consider them. 

Maybe they picked up our radio signals, ala Contact?  Well now we're saying there's an alien civilization within ~120 light years or so advanced enough to pick out our (compared to them) primitive signals from all the galactic noise, open up a wormhole, and pop out in our gardens. 

Yeahhhh ... not believing in that possibility too strongly.

That's asking a lot really.  But even then, given the unfathomable vastness of the universe, what would lead them to our remote little speck?  Pure chance?  The odds are so overwhelmingly against that I can't seriously consider them. 

Maybe they picked up our radio signals, ala Contact?  Well now we're saying there's an alien civilization within ~120 light years or so advanced enough to pick out our (compared to them) primitive signals from all the galactic noise, open up a wormhole, and pop out in our gardens. 

to be fair if they picked up our radio signals, given the time they would take to get there, they'll probably have got simon bates or dave lee travis so will have decided to leave us well alone

Yeah, not saying there's a massive chance myself, mind :lol: But we only consider what we can comprehend, for all we know these civilizations could have been around for millions of years compared to our meager 10000-ish, who knows what technical advances they could have made and so on?

It's all guesswork, coincidences and so so very incomprehensibly unlikely to happen, but I still find it interesting to think about.