25 Years ago today - Varadi

Guest cassidy3-1

Guest cassidy3-1

Noticed earlier on nufc.com that 25 years ago today, we beat Charlton 4-1. 

Does anyone else remember Imre Varadi's brilliant solo goal where he ran from well inside the Gallowgate half, beating 4 or 5 players before putting in the net?  I was there, but the memories fade a little when there is no tv footage to help you!

He scored another fantastic goal the following week against Luton, making it 3-2 in the last minute, just after Luton had fought their way back from 2-0 down.  I don't think that was on tv either (difficult to believe now in the days of wall to wall tv football)!

I'd been going to matches for about four years by then, and he was the most exciting player I'd seen in a black and white shirt up till then!!  Things got even better though as Keegan signed the following season.

Anyone elso got any Imre memories?

Noticed earlier on nufc.com that 25 years ago today, we beat Charlton 4-1. 

Does anyone else remember Imre Varadi's brilliant solo goal where he ran from well inside the Gallowgate half, beating 4 or 5 players before putting in the net?  I was there, but the memories fade a little when there is no tv footage to help you!

He scored another fantastic goal the following week against Luton, making it 3-2 in the last minute, just after Luton had fought their way back from 2-0 down.  I don't think that was on tv either (difficult to believe now in the days of wall to wall tv football)!

I'd been going to matches for about four years by then, and he was the most exciting player I'd seen in a black and white shirt up till then!!  Things got even better though as Keegan signed the following season.

Anyone elso got any Imre memories?

Yep, I remember the Luton and Charlton games.........he was playing alongside Alan Brown and they looked superb together but Brown then failed his medical IIRC. Can distinctly remember going absolutely beserk in the benches with my old man, after the Luton winner.