Players you were wrong about

Astroblack

Saw this on another board, sorry if done before.

Jose Enrique - After his first few games I was really dissapointed but now when I see him in the team sheet, I'm reassured.

Michael Owen - Was overjoyed when we signed him, thought we'd be playing Champions League football. Boy was I wrong.

Kluivert - I personally think he was a flop here, but I didn't think that when he signed.

Bassong - Didn't know who he was and wasn't willing to give him a chance but he was the best player last season.

Yours?

Josep Guardiola - thought it was a Messiah signing to appease the fans after two bad seasons and mounting criticism of the board (Laporta's antics became more questionable without the trophies), and boy was I wrong. Never doubted he would put all his effort, just thought he lacked the experience.

Javier Saviola - thought he would take Europe by storm. Well, he didn't. And the saddest part is that he had the talent.

Marc Overmars - absolutely loved, loved him at Ajax. When we finally landed him after losing Figo I was giddy. We won f*** all for the next 5 years.

Iván de la Peña - one of the most exciting and overhyped young players to ever come out from our youth setup until Messi. His first games had everyone (and me) thinking we really had a star. He was never able to deal with the pressure and expectations, though, and crashed and burned in spells with us and Lazio. However, I'm glad he rebuilt his career at Espanyol and even managed a few caps. Genuinely loved the little bald fella.

Pedro Rodríguez - you can even dig up some of my posts here at the start of the season of me saying he wasn't anything special. He's been quite instrumental for us this season.

Rafa Márquez - the first game I saw him at Camp Nou he was a shambles. Slow, caught out of position... a dud. He went to become pretty instrumental in bringing back silverware in 2005 and 2006.

Robert Prosinecki and Georghe Hagi - the best players to ever play for FC Barcelona in friendlies. In both cases preseason had us thinking we had the League and Champion's League doubles sewn up with ballon-d'or-like performances every week. They ended being big-time duds.

Cuéllar: not really his fault. Very promising Spanish forward than went and had an ACL in his first league game for us. His career never recovered.

Alfonso: Spanish international and former Real Madrid golden boy that we bought off Betis for a handsome sum. Great technique and eye for goal that he seemed to have left in the train when coming from Sevilla. He was a total dud.

Edgar Davids: only played for 6 months after getting him on loan in January 2004. I groaned when we signed him since he was old and "past it". The guy really turned our season around, taking us to second after being 10th on January (with Rijkaard about to get the sack). That recovery is always thought of the moment that turned the club around and prepared us for the great years we are living. The morale boost the club and the fans gained from that second half and #2 finish was huge. Funnily enough, he snubbed us for Inter at the end of the season.

Josep Guardiola - thought it was a Messiah signing to appease the fans after two bad seasons and mounting criticism of the board (Laporta's antics became more questionable without the trophies), and boy was I wrong. Never doubted he would put all his effort, just thought he lacked the experience.

Javier Saviola - thought he would take Europe by storm. Well, he didn't. And the saddest part is that he had the talent.

Marc Overmars - absolutely loved, loved him at Ajax. When we finally landed him after losing Figo I was giddy. We won f*** all for the next 5 years.

Iván de la Peña - one of the most exciting and overhyped young players to ever come out from our youth setup until Messi. His first games had everyone (and me) thinking we really had a star. He was never able to deal with the pressure and expectations, though, and crashed and burned in spells with us and Lazio. However, I'm glad he rebuilt his career at Espanyol and even managed a few caps. Genuinely loved the little bald fella.

Pedro Rodríguez - you can even dig up some of my posts here at the start of the season of me saying he wasn't anything special. He's been quite instrumental for us this season.

Rafa Márquez - the first game I saw him at Camp Nou he was a shambles. Slow, caught out of position... a dud. He went to become pretty instrumental in bringing back silverware in 2005 and 2006.

Robert Prosinecki and Georghe Hagi - the best players to ever play for FC Barcelona in friendlies. In both cases preseason had us thinking we had the League and Champion's League doubles sewn up with ballon-d'or-like performances every week. They ended being big-time duds.

Cuéllar: not really his fault. Very promising Spanish forward than went and had an ACL in his first league game for us. His career never recovered.

Alfonso: Spanish international and former Real Madrid golden boy that we bought off Betis for a handsome sum. Great technique and eye for goal that he seemed to have left in the train when coming from Sevilla. He was a total dud.

Edgar Davids: only played for 6 months after getting him on loan in January 2004. I groaned when we signed him since he was old and "past it". The guy really turned our season around, taking us to second after being 10th on January (with Rijkaard about to get the sack). That recovery is always thought of the moment that turned the club around and prepared us for the great years we are living. The morale boost the club and the fans gained from that second half and #2 finish was huge. Funnily enough, he snubbed us for Inter at the end of the season.

What a great post.  Love reading your stuff about Barcelona (and everything else as it happens).  Keep it coming.  :thup:

Alan Smith - Yeah, I wanted him. I was just being naive.

Danny Guthrie - Didn't want him initially, he's turned out pretty good.

There's a few others a lot of people are high on that I'm not outside of the club, but I've yet to be proven wrong on them.

Obi Mikel

Flamini

Hleb

Kuyt (Okay, maybe Kuyt)

Barton: was well pleased to ship Parker out and get Barton in at the time. Thought he'd do really well for us. He hasn't.

Batty: I clearly didn't know what he was all about at first. I was about 12 when we signed him and thought he was a clogger to begin with, but he showed me how important it was to win the ball and keep it simple. Became one of my favourite players at that time.

Bellamy: I thought Bellamy was a complete waste of £6m when we signed him. He hadn't looked particuarly great for Coventry and Robson signed Cort the summer before in similar cirumstances, and that signing wasn't really working out. I thought Bellamy was average when we signed him and he turned out being absolutely integral to our upturn in fortunes under Robson. Bellamy's a truly gifted player and in all honesty I think it's a shame he's not settled down somewhere and been recognised as such. At the end of his career, he'll probably be looked back on as a journeyman who had his moments, but injuries aside, ability-wise he's up there with some of the best matchwinners of the last 10 years.  Loved him.

Parker. Thought he was the fucking business when we first signed him... but a really limited footballer by the end of it all. There's a few others which stand out like sore thumbs; i thought Amdy Faye was decent when we first signed him, and i liked Carr in his first season too.

In recent times, I thought Parker was a very good signing. At one point, Chelsea paid about £13 million for him, so he's disappointed a few people.

I thought Bramble and Duff would do better, though I don't think either of them were as bad as is sometimes made out.

Chris Waddle is the all-time misjudgement. At first, I couldn't see anything in him at all.

For the pot, I didn't think Sir Bob was going to prove a success.

Guest Boqueron

Keegan - i thought he signed for us for the money and was past his best . . . oops.

Keegan as a manager the first time -  i am on record as saying " he will never be a manager as long as he has a hole in his arse . . ."

Barton: was well pleased to ship Parker out and get Barton in at the time.  Thought he'd do really well for us.  He hasn't.

Batty: I clearly didn't know what he was all about at first.  I was about 12 when we signed him and thought he was a clogger to begin with, but he showed me how important it was to win the ball and keep it simple.  Became one of my favourite players at that time.

Bellamy: I thought Bellamy was a complete waste of £6m when we signed him.  He hadn't looked particuarly great for Coventry and Robson signed Cort the summer before in similar cirumstances, and that signing wasn't really working out.  I thought Bellamy was average when we signed him and he turned out being absolutely integral to our upturn in fortunes under Robson.  Bellamy's a truly gifted player and in all honesty I think it's a shame he's not settled down somewhere and been recognised as such.  At the end of his career, he'll probably be looked back on as a journeyman who had his moments, but injuries aside, ability-wise he's up there with some of the best matchwinners of the last 10 years.  Loved him.

Imagine if he was still at liverpool, torres and bellamy would be dynamo

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

I was completely wrong about Luque, but I'm still not convinced that the manager (s) wasn't to blame for that. However, seeing how his career has gone down the drain, perhaps he fell out of love with the game when he joined us.

well he is scoring goals again back in spain.  I personally think he is/was a good player (maybe not for us) but was injured 1st game and then kept being rushed back as per usual at this club and never let his injuries fully heal. You also have to look at the manager also,  Souness = :(     I bet Luque would have done ok in england if he was at Arsenal, Man United, Spurs ect.

Not a Newcastle Player but Danny Cadamateri - thought he was going to be brilliant.......he wasn't

Fucking Boumsong - "he's an amazing athlete" said the papers. Maybe, but he's a shit defender

Oguchi Onyewu - I was just pleased at the time that we were signing a massive CB at the time but he turned out to be rubbish

Chopra for us was very disappointing after all the hype. I still think he would've done better had he been given more of a chance though  and his goal scoring record for the reserves

I know how it sounds but I'm NEVER WRONG in my judgment if I've seen enough of a player.. HA! (yes, Ronaldo, I'm always right, you're wrong maafaka)

The couple I can think of are Nolan and Milner. Never expected Nolan would score that much. But still.. it's evident that the team carries him.

Milner.. he's performing above my expectations, but I'd still bet that N'Zogbia would be the better player in a couple years time..

Luque-thought he was decent for Depor...

Bassong-shining light when everything was going wrong

Enrique-at first he just didin't adapt to the pace

Owen-always thought he would stick them in for us...shame