Whats going on>???

ED209

everyone has hated asley for what seems like ever, now a couple of signings, and talk of him sorting the finances out because other clubs have gone tits up now it seems everone is bumming him??

the world has gone mad!

Who's bumming him? I for one am happy he finally started running the clup properly recently.

1) Were in the press for the right reasons

2) Were getting decent enough transfers in (I mean we need all the bodies we can get)

3) Hes backed his manager in this window so far

4) Our signings have gone under the radar

Hasn't even spent the same amount as he did on one shaky signing...Colo

He is just maintaining his inestment making sure we go up and then back to usual limbo in the summer...mark my words

As long as he makes sure we go up, that's fine. Ashley is like Kevin Phillips - good in the Championship but awful in the Premiership.

Nobody is bumming Ashley, some people are just giving him a small amount of credit for a small number of good decisions.

It must be remembered that you don't have to in any way sympathise or give credit to Ashley to be accused of "bumming" him by many on here. (What a horrible expression that is btw)

Simply not blaming him for the global economic crisis or Africa's starving millions is enough for some.

whats wrong with giving him another chance if he continues to make the right moves. it wont happen overnight, but if we keeping moving forwards and get some stability in the club then i know a lot of people willing to give him time. doesnt mean he's going to be adored.

if we keep up with this absolute hatred of him, and unwillingness to right his wrongs, we're never gonna get anywhere.

if he sells up, who's to say what kind of ideas the new buyer will have. grass isnt always greener.

not saying ashley is anywhere near forgiveness yet but if he proves himself, whats wrong with giving him a bit of a break.

I'm just suspending my opinion at the moment, I think the current moves are good ones but I'm quite prepared for it all to go wrong again.

Obviously if we get promoted we'll see what happens - equally if we don't I suppose!

l

Although we all crave success,  in the longer term clubs who are financially stable will be best placed to succeed in the next decade or two. It seems Ashley is prepared to back his manager in this season's promotion push which is good, because as a club 2 or 3 years out of the PL would render us very unstable financially.

Whether Ashley's motives are based on the better price he will achieve for the sale, or if he has longer term ambitions remains to be seen.

Personally I like the way they go about their business in the transfer markets, resisting temptation to cave in to media and internet pressure and "bigging up" the whole process as we once did.

Whether Ashley's stated policy of buying "young and upcoming" rather than "expensive and established" will work also remains to be seen.

For now there seem to be some positive signs but like you I never get too carried away where this club are concerned.

No one else stepped in with the money, all our local businessmen kept their hands very much in their pockets. Ashley has took the club off the market and looks to be investing quite aggressively despite all the doubts he would do it. I'm not going to argue with that...and if that's bumming him then pass the vaseline.

everyone has hated asley for what seems like ever, now a couple of signings, and talk of him sorting the finances out because other clubs have gone tits up now it seems everone is bumming him??

the world has gone mad!

Could you link me to these posts bumming Ashley?

No one else stepped in with the money, all our local businessmen kept their hands very much in their pockets. Ashley has took the club off the market and looks to be investing quite aggressively despite all the doubts he would do it. I'm not going to argue with that...and if that's bumming him then pass the vaseline.

Be interesting to read the Sunday Sun take on it all this weekend if we did manage to wrap up the Moses deal as well.

Who cares if he's just "protecting his investment"? We both want promotion so his current actions benefit both parties. Even if he does try to sell the club again at least we'll have a bigger and hopefully better squad to try to survive in the Premiership.

There is a very real possibility that he won't find a buyer or even worse, finds a buyer worse than him (like Portsmouth's owner).

The football bubble is bursting. I have no complaints about him making the club run on what it actually earns. At the moment it seems like a club is in the financial shit every week (Portsmouth, West Ham, Hull, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, etc.). We chased the dream and lost under Shepherd.

We chased the dream and lost under Shepherd.

In some ways Shepherd was just as much of a gambler as Ashley, he just gambled the other way.

Ashley has screwed things up badly but if he'd done due diligence and not bought NUFC there's a good chance we'd have done a Portsmouth. After Ashley had bought the club and revealed the debt Shepherd claimed had he stayed in charge he would have refinanced the club. He talked about it as if it would have been easy. As we now know with the Credit Crunch it would have been very hard to refinance. On the one hand Ashley buying us has been bad but on the other hand it might just have saved us.

In some ways Shepherd was just as much of a gambler as Ashley, he just gambled the other way.

Ashley has screwed things up badly but if he'd done due diligence and not bought NUFC there's a good chance we'd have done a Portsmouth. After Ashley had bought the club and revealed the debt Shepherd claimed had he stayed in charge he would have refinanced the club. He talked about it as if it would have been easy. As we now know with the Credit Crunch it would have been very hard to refinance. On the one hand Ashley buying us has been bad but on the other hand it might just have saved us.

Aye, it's hard to say.

Obviously Shepherd's 'death or glory' approach was bound to be more popular because it involves big signings, managerial appointments and a lot of excitement. And if it had led to consistent success, or even a minor trophy, we couldn't have complained.

Ashley's approach was to try and stay up without investment, which if it had worked might have been alright. Obviously it didn't and we got relegated.

I just hope he's learning from his mistakes... the proof of the pudding will be at the end of the season I suppose... whether we go up or not.

Aye, it's hard to say.

Obviously Shepherd's 'death or glory' approach was bound to be more popular because it involves big signings, managerial appointments and a lot of excitement. And if it had led to consistent success, or even a minor trophy, we couldn't have complained.

Ashley's approach was to try and stay up without investment, which if it had worked might have been alright. Obviously it didn't and we got relegated.

I just hope he's learning from his mistakes... the proof of the pudding will be at the end of the season I suppose... whether we go up or not.

But surely he was investing. The idea was to run the club withing its means if possible with any money coming in reinvested, but initially to subsidise it to the tune of £20m a season. If this only covered wages ect so be it, but whatever was left over would stay in the club and was to be used on transfers. At least that is what Mort etc stated from the start, and there is no evidence that wasn't going to happen until the staff and managerial mistakes fucked the whole thing up for him.

Sorry, I meant investing in the playing staff.

Obviously in the current situation he limited his input to the reported £20m - meaning that by definition there would be nothing for new players. Certainly not on the scale of those purchased by the previous regime.