Madness!!! (Togo banned from next two Africa Cups of Nations)

Thespence

Guest Geordiesned

I think the Togolese Government knew better as I can't see how the players were making the decision to stay with their heads. It was made with their hearts. They wanted to stay to honour their dead colleagues but the Government saw sense and said get the hell out of there. If the same had happened to the England team at a tournament, in whatever sport, I'd expect our Government to tell them to leave as well. The Government interference rule was surely not introduced for matters such as this but rather where Governments have been interfering with team selection, etc as was the case with Iran. (think it was Iran banned recently?)

I would think being shot at by armed militants is a good enough reason to make an exception, even if it's only on compassionate grounds.

I can't imagine how the players could have played games of football in the few days after the incident anyway.

They wanted to play, though. How come everyone else supposedly knows better?

Well the Togo government might know better. It boils down to a matter of opinion. The issue is - does the government have the right to overrule the players, and I'd say yes, in this case. It's not just a matter for the players when they're representing their country.

Are you sure you're not getting a bit NE5-ish here, Ozzie? ie digging yourself deeper into a weak position?

Strange argument, Bob.

I hardly see that I'm being NE5-ish just because...

a) I correctly explained why this is happening,

b) I think the players and or the Togo FA had the right to participate in the competition, if they wanted to continue, whatever their government says, and

c) I think the independence of football from political authority is a good thing.