Durham uni.

Menace

Few questions, I applied for Durham, they emailed me recently saying that they cannot offer me the course I requested (which I'm glad for, too much programing), but however they will consider me for another course, which is fair enough.

I replied back stating that I am interested, and today I got a letter from them inviting me to attend one of their campus tours/lessons... but they have still not offered me a place according to UCAS.

Is it just a matter of time, or should I not get my hopes up?

Also, what's the uni like?

Thanks in advance.

I went to Durham and had a brilliant time. And people do consider it a cut above a lot of universities, I've found that on job applications and when I tell people.

There are a lot of posh kids but most of them are fine. There's quite a big divide between students and locals, but I never found it a big problem.

Not sure about your application though, best speak to Durham and ask for confirmation that you have a place, or what the process will be I guess.

Fingers crossed for you mate, it's a great university.

Cheers for the replies fellas, sounds encouraging, how much am I looking at rent if I live away from halls? £70-£100 a week I'm guessing?

I'm paying £79 next year without bills.

Guest Heneage

Durham uni - full of toffs and the city is set up for students.

Expect to get up most mornings with pizza boxes and cans of lager all over the streets.

:lol:

Bollocks.

Expect to get up most mornings with pizza boxes and cans of lager all over the streets.

Bollocks.

What is? Im from Durham and work through Durham every morning to work. Theres an obvious difference in street cleanliness when the uni holidays are on compared with when its term time.

The whole city is set up for students, its got to be the most perfect place to study. Loads of well-priced bars, uni buildings all over the city and great sports facilities at Maiden Castle.

Guest Heneage

Bollocks.

What is? Im from Durham and work through Durham every morning to work. Theres an obvious difference in street cleanliness when the uni holidays are on compared with when its term time.

The whole city is set up for students, its got to be the most perfect place to study. Loads of well-priced bars, uni buildings all over the city and great sports facilities at Maiden Castle.

I've lived here for most of my life. Well over 10 years in fact, and to be honest that was an exaggeration of what the streets are like.

But yeh it is a fantastic student city.

I haven't been back since I left about 5 years ago.

I know as I was leaving there were loads of plans for the city in terms of shops and bars etc... so there's probably better facilities.

Our only club options were Klute and DH1, both absolute dives but loads of fun.

Rob W is right.

So is Chez.

My time there was average.

The night we packed 900 into Van Mildert for the first ever Uni rave was legendary. I met loads of local lads from Durham through going out, being from Whitley obviously helped. Our group of uni friends are still mates with the lads we met from there. We used to all go to Back to Basics in Leeds together. Our group mixed politician's sons from Marlborough with local dealers. My third year was a blur of e-comedowns and first class grades. Nae idea now how i did it tbh.

Guest Heneage

I know as I was leaving there were loads of plans for the city in terms of shops and bars etc... so there's probably better facilities.

I'm sure I did a run down of what options Durham has. Studio, Loveshack, Chase, Jimmy Allens , and Reform bar excusing Yates'.

It has real potential if the bars were owned and managed better.

I got sacked from Klute in 94 for 'always having your fucking mates on the decks'.

Ahh, happy days.

Ah, Klute...where even twats like me were allowed to DJ...mixing Kylie records with Iron Maiden "for a laugh" before getting told off by my mate who was DJing for wrecking his set... :snod:

And Rixy's - where a mate of mine had a revolver pointed at him for picking up the wrong pint.

Happy days indeed. :lol:

They'll want you there as they'll want your money,and you will probably be offered any courses that still have places left to fill,in a kind of pre clearing kind of thing.

I went to Leeds, Durham is very similar Uni (toffs a plenty but that means all your friends are well class, and some toffs are worth meeting, some you will remain friends with). Thing about Durham which has been mentioned is its lack of clubs, bars, shops etc apoparently. I had a couple of mates go there, they just end up going out in Town every week.

Guest Heneage

Got a cousin who goes there and it is full of faggots like.  Her 21 year old boyfriend needs to ask mummy permission to drive his own car.

Of the students I've met it's half and half.

Some are incredibly pompous, obnoxious, and really do see themselves as above others in the city. Some are just pissheads who can't handle much beer but are friendly enough.