Should Commonwealth citizens be free to immigrate to other commonwealth nations

Stifler

Should Commonwealth citizens be free to immigrate to other commonwealth nations?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should Commonwealth citizens be free to immigrate to other commonwealth nations?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Since we have a similar set up within the EU, should Citizens of Commonwealth countries be free to move about and work in each Commonwealth country without the need of going through the immigration process or the need to have work/study permits?

I think it's a good idea, but I just don't think that other countries would agree, especially when it is fairly easy to gain British citizenship then it is in other Commonwealth countries, hence Britain could easily be used as a stepping stone, so their would need to be strict rules and a more strict immigration policy here before we would be allowed to do that with the other Commonwealth countries. In an ideal world I would say yes, but out of seeing what uncontrolled immigration has done to our country, I wouldn't want to see other countries be given that problem by us.

So for the notice of the poll, I voted yes, but as thing stand and are ever likely to be I would be against it.

No, Australia's point system is tough and we should learn from that.

U.k immigration is a joke, not a surprise to see the aussies distancing themselves from us.

Canada's system is good.

Yup, it certainly is, thats why I feel that it is us with our policy that would ruin it. To be honest Australia and Canada are crying out for more people to fill in the gaps, but have a system which makes sure they don't get taken advantage of, and if all of the Commonwealth nations came together to create something like this then it would be a great thing for Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, expcept that I think they would be against it because of us having a fairly easy system and an open policy with the EU. I think if we got our system up to date with theirs, and stopped with the EU open door policy then they would welcome us, but that is not going to happen, so in all honesty something like this could happen with us being left out of it which would benifit alot of honest people here in the UK.

Since we have a similar set up within the EU, should Citizens of Commonwealth countries be free to move about and work in each Commonwealth country without the need of going through the immigration process or the need to have work/study permits?

I think it's a good idea, but I just don't think that other countries would agree, especially when it is fairly easy to gain British citizenship then it is in other Commonwealth countries, hence Britain could easily be used as a stepping stone, so their would need to be strict rules and a more strict immigration policy here before we would be allowed to do that with the other Commonwealth countries. In an ideal world I would say yes, but out of seeing what uncontrolled immigration has done to our country, I wouldn't want to see other countries be given that problem by us.

So for the notice of the poll, I voted yes, but as thing stand and are ever likely to be I would be against it.

No its bad enough with the kiwis in aus

No its bad enough with the kiwis in aus

I've got 3 cousins who were born in hastings(nz) and they all now are in aus making a living.

There's nowt to do in nz sheep or post office is where it's at. Church as well, i nearly forgot.

i think countries with similar economies and shit like that should open up more, ie EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, US, Canada, Aus, NZ, Japan, Korea, Chile, Singapore, HK, Malaysia, Qatar etc. If not full freedom of movement then at least greater opportunities to work abroad, make it far easier to marry, gain a work permit, studying and so on. even if it is just longer and more easily obtainable tourist visas. We have agreements with the likes of Aus for people under a certain age to work there for 2 years if they like. I'd like to see schemes like that introduced for more and more countries, and be open to anyone of any age rather than just young people. The commonwealth is obsolete so i wouldn't really base anything specifically on that.

the world is getting more and more international with loads of global connections opening up, in people's lives, relationships, work, trade, culture, ideas and so on. don't think it makes sense to restrict the movement of people when everything else is going in the other direction.

We used to have sommat  like that but when a load of Indians and Pakistanis started to come in during th early '60's they introduced curbs and it sgot tougher and tougher since

the Oztralians had a load of curbs to stop the "yellow peril" and then, to appear non-racist, extended it to WASP's as well