Going back to learn

Stifler

I've been thinking for a while now that I should take up some part time courses. I'm only 20 but failed to get any good grades in my GCSE's, only getting 1 C which was my highest with a few D's, E's, and F's. I really think that I need to get my math's, English and Science to GCSE level C atleast and I'm intersted in going back to college part time. The adult equivlent to GCSE's, I.E. Level 1,2,3 means fuck all to anyone out there. I also want to learn a skill, I'd love to learn to drive wagons as it's something that my family in the past have been heavily involved in, and also it's a great career if I want to move abroad (which I do) in the future, but unfortunatly as I'm currently unemployed and the dole is no longer funding these courses that one will have to wait. I went to college for one year and gained a BTEC First Diploma in IT, but in all honesty it also means fuck all to anyone out there.

So I was woundering, has anyone ever done night classes like I wish to, how did it go, and was it worth while?

I did AS Level Maths and Film Studies in the evenings whilst working full-time, I found it a bit hard to motivate myself to do homework and stuff when I'd been at work all day and I'm a bit of a lazy fucker to start off with, so if you're going to do it part time then my advice would be not to take on too much as one or all will suffer as a result. I ended up with an A for Film Studies and a U for Maths! :lol:

Very, very, ungood. Think it stands for "ungraded". I remember getting a dirty look from the invigilator for laughing in the exam at how crap I was going to do, it was a really sunny day so I left as soon as you were allowed and went to the pub instead. Was quite a nice day really, day off work, sat with a pint in a beer garden, what more could you want?

It can be extremely hard to fit it all in and maintain the motivation, especially at your age where you're likely to have mates pressurising you to go out on the piss etc. I'd strongly recommend looking into full-time education... But if you do go part-time, look into doing a degree through the open university -- pretty sure you don't need previous qualifications, and you can start from the very basic building-blocks of a subject and work your way up.

I did AS Level Maths and Film Studies in the evenings whilst working full-time, I found it a bit hard to motivate myself to do homework and stuff when I'd been at work all day and I'm a bit of a lazy fucker to start off with, so if you're going to do it part time then my advice would be not to take on too much as one or all will suffer as a result. I ended up with an A for Film Studies and a U for Maths! :lol:

A level film studies is always a top laugh. Watch a lot of films in the evening and make like you're Godard.

Guest toonlass

I've been thinking for a while now that I should take up some part time courses. I'm only 20 but failed to get any good grades in my GCSE's, only getting 1 C which was my highest with a few D's, E's, and F's. I really think that I need to get my math's, English and Science to GCSE level C atleast and I'm intersted in going back to college part time. The adult equivlent to GCSE's, I.E. Level 1,2,3 means fuck all to anyone out there. I also want to learn a skill, I'd love to learn to drive wagons as it's something that my family in the past have been heavily involved in, and also it's a great career if I want to move abroad (which I do) in the future, but unfortunatly as I'm currently unemployed and the dole is no longer funding these courses that one will have to wait. I went to college for one year and gained a BTEC First Diploma in IT, but in all honesty it also means fuck all to anyone out there.

So I was woundering, has anyone ever done night classes like I wish to, how did it go, and was it worth while?

I would encourage you to go back and try to at least get your GCSE's in maths and english. Also look at what driving licences you need and how you can get that. You are young, you can get this sorted out. Set yourself a goal, work out how to get there and do it. Your local college will do GCSE's in the evening, but you probably won't be able to start now until September, but don't let that stop you. Use the time from now to then to work out your end goal (if its being a lorry driver then cool) and how you are going to get there. And let us know how it is going.

:lol: Damn. I've failed a lot of tests in my time, but I never got a U. I'm almost jealous of that.

Worst I got was 24% in higher level maths in mocks last year. Droped back to Ordinary Level and got between 85 and 89% in that :snod:

One of my mates from work had poor GCSE results and went back to resit Maths (twice until she got a B) and then English (also got a B) after that. It was hard work, but she was so pleased at the end of it. I think she's now doing another course as well. Definitely go for it, but you'll need to be prepared to work hard at it, which I'm sure you are.

If you want to be a lorry driver then somehow get yourself a £2500 loan and take both your class 2 and then class 1 licence. then go round visiting every company you can find in the NE and ask them to consider taking you on. You will get loads of knock backs due to age and experience but somewhere at somepoint you will get your foot in the door.

:thup:

If you want to be a lorry driver then somehow get yourself a £2500 loan and take both your class 2 and then class 1 licence. then go round visiting every company you can find in the NE and ask them to consider taking you on. You will get loads of knock backs due to age and experience but somewhere at somepoint you will get your foot in the door.

:thup:

Unfortunatly it's not an option to borrow money, as I don't currently have a job, butonce I get one the plan will be to save up for it.

Did you enjoy the IT BTEC?

IF so you could get in to do a Foundation Degree in Applied computing at somewhere like Tynemet (2 years and funded like a FT degree) then go to uni for the last year and top up to a full degree. It's what i'm doing, the final year top up now, but i wish i just bailed out at the end of the FD tbh.

IF so you could get in to do a Foundation Degree in Applied computing at somewhere like Tynemet (2 years and funded like a FT degree) then go to uni for the last year and top up to a full degree. It's what i'm doing, the final year top up now, but i wish i just bailed out at the end of the FD tbh.

Not really, some of it was fun, but some of it I struggled with. As it happens some of my friends went on to the 2 year course and are nearly finsihed, they finish in June, July time. They have also decided that they won't take it further, I.E. Uni, infact one of them is going to become his grandads apprentice as a Labourer.

Not really, some of it was fun, but some of it I struggled with. As it happens some of my friends went on to the 2 year course and are nearly finsihed, they finish in June, July time. They have also decided that they won't take it further, I.E. Uni, infact one of them is going to become his grandads apprentice as a Labourer.

Aye we had a load of BTEC's coming on to our course, was about 10-15 of them, by the end of the year there was 5 left, 3 of them had to resit the year, one quite and one went on with us to the second year, and he like me is doing the final top up degree. It's hard work like, but anything worthwhile is.

The biggest divide in our class was age group, those above 24 about 50% made it to the final year of the FD, whereas those under 24 about 12% made it, if that.

Maybe there's a FD with your name on it, the BTEC should get you on any subject really.

A level film studies is always a top laugh. Watch a lot of films in the evening and make like you're Godard.

Yeah, it was class, I loved it.

What qualifications did you need to study for FD? (HND is it?) Because I was planning to study HND in Business Management (then top it up for a BA), but unfortunately my local college decided to take off that course for next year. So I was left with no choice but to apply to study for a BA directly. Having doubts to whether I will be accepted now.  :undecided: