Bordeaux for Luque?

Guest ticaL

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=429057&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=4161&title=Bordeaux+reveal+Luque+interest

Bordeaux have revealed that they failed with a bid to sign Albert Luque in the summer, but are ready to revive their interest in January.

Luque failed to make any sort of impression at Newcastle last term, having picked up a serious hamstring injury shortly after his arrival from Deportivo La Coruna.

A change at the helm has failed to revive his fortunes, as Glenn Roeder has opted to keep Luque on the bench despite the dearth of options at his disposal.

The Spaniard has remained on the fringe of the first team, aside from a match-winning display at Palermo in the Uefa Cup, despite injuries to Michael Owen, Shola Ameobi and Obafemi Martins. 

Luque said recently that he would look to move on if his situation failed to improve and Bordeaux are ready to offer him a lifeline.

"We asked for him last year, but I don't remember why the deal collapsed," Bordeaux chairman Jean-Louis Triaud told But!

"Last summer, Newcastle were okay for an eventual loan deal.

"Luque is a player we know very well and we still follow.

"If Ricardo (Bordeaux coach) asks me to, I will see if it is still possible to make him come."

Loan wouldn't be too bad an option, if he does well, bring him back after Glenn is sacked and see how he fairs.

Barcelona lure Luque

Nov 15 2006

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Albert Luque

Barcelona have confirmed they are interested in Newcastle United misfit Albert Luque but have denied they are set to make a bid for the Spaniard who appears to have finally fallen out with manager Glenn Roeder.

Luque is seething at Roeder's decision to drop him after he scored the crucial winner against Palermo in the Uefa Cup a fortnight ago and has admitted his time is almost up on Tyneside, having started just three games all season.

Roeder has publicly talked of not giving up on the temperamental forward but, given the players' omission from a squad dangerously light on strikers for the trip to Manchester City last weekend, his actions appear to suggest otherwise. Newcastle's manager preferred to play the unfit Shola Ameobi at the City of Manchester Stadium and did not even name Luque on the bench in arguably his biggest snub to the Spanish international yet.

As a result, Barcelona's interest will come as a big relief to both player and manager and it is highly unlikely there will be any objection if the European Champions follow up their interest with a firm offer.

However, the Catalan giants appear to only want the £9.5m signing from Deportivo La Coruña on loan until the end of the season to cover for the injured Eidur Gudjohnsen, Samuel Eto'o and Javier Saviola.

Newcastle would - as Roeder, it seems, does not want him - prefer a permanent deal when the transfer window opens in January to help finance their own vital recruitment programme. Barcelona president Joan Laporta has admitted that Luque is a player that has interested them but added they need more time to assess their options, with the transfer window still six weeks away.

It is a measure of Luque's reputation in his homeland that, despite a horrendous time in the Premiership, a club of Barcelona's stature is still interested in signing him. However, there other players who have been mentioned at the Nou Camp, including German international and Newcastle summer transfer target Miroslav Klose, as well as former Celtic and Barca striker Henrik Larsson.

Meanwhile, Roeder will be interested to learn that Birmingham City have resigned themselves to the fact they will have to sell centre back Matthew Upson in January.

Upson is still recovering full fitness after a serious knee injury but has been linked with a move to St James's Park in the past. The 27-year-old will only have 18 months left on his contract in January and has previously resisted attempts to get him to sign an extension.

United are in dire need of defensive re-enforcement and are likely to renew their efforts to sign left-back Wayne Bridge in the New Year. But Roeder also needs to strengthen the centre of defence, having missed out on Robert Huth and Jonathan Woodgate in the summer, as well as turning down the chance to sign Sol Campbell on a free transfer from Arsenal.

Upson, who has been capped seven times by England, is arguably the best centre-back playing outside of the top-flight and is keen to return to the Premiership.

Blues boss Steve Bruce said: "Of course we want our best players to remain at the club. I will try my utmost to keep him. But I am not going to lie or pull the wool over anyone's eyes. It is Matt's prerogative is to keep his options open.

"He could have had the security of a big five-year contract but he decided not to take it. He's got 19 months left of his current contract and, if he's not going to sign a new one, then I can't just let an asset walk away for nothing.

"The Bosman situation is in my thoughts. We will address things and see what happens either in January or in the summer. I would have thought most clubs would want to see him playing week-in, week-out before they offered us any money for him."

---------------------------------------------------------

Newcastle have lost a fourth member of their backroom staff since the start of the season after fitness coach Paul Winsper announced he is to quit the club.

Winsper, who came to Newcastle from Durham County Cricket Club, follows assistant manager Kevin Bond, reserve-team coach Tommy Craig and physio Paul Ferris through the door at United.

Roeder has appointed Adrian Lamb from the club's academy to take Winsper's place.

Guest Village Idiot

It's in our (Barcelona) papers too. They are close to the club and thus it's quite reliable than they are at least looking at him as an option.

The official word of the club is that they "are examining several options".

I'd love to have him here, he's Barça through and through and we need bodies upfront after losing Messi, Eto'o and Saviola for months.

Guest shaun11177

Lets be clear no one is thinking of paying us 9m.

Sevilla offered 2.5m which we turned down.

This is without doubt Viana all over again.To get a new striker in we need to get someone of the wage bill.

What benefit would a loan deal have to us?

If they pay his wages from January to June it would save us over/around £1.5m (if he's on between 50 and 80k a week) and then give him a stage to increase his value before a potential sale in the Summer. We're going to get nowt for him at the current time so it might make sense to try and put him in the shop window, while saving money in the process.

Surely a loan couldn't decrease his value further... or further reduce the number of clubs who are interested in him for a fee, so it might be the best option available. It has got to be better than him playing the odd reserve game and making the odd first team appearance for us.

Loan him to Barca, hopefully he'll settle there, revive interest from other Spanish clubs as well as them and sell him for about £5m in the summer.

Or swap loan him with Cassano.

He needs to go back to his home, not hide his talent in a shit French division.

Guest theunis

Loan move will save us some nice wages because he must be close to 100k a week. But why Rouder does not want to play him is beyond me especialy now that we are short of bodies up front

Loan move will save us some nice wages because he must be close to 100k a week. But why Rouder does not want to play him is beyond me especialy now that we are short of bodies up front

:lol:

I highly doubt it, try 50% of that sum.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/internacional/es/desarrollo/709920.html

EL DELANTERO DEL NEWCASTLE SUENA PARA REFORZAR EL BARCELONA

Albert Luque: "Mi prioridad es volver a España"

Radio Marca.

"Soy catalán y le tengo aprecio al Barcelona"

"Si sigo así me gustaría buscar una salida"

Albert Luque, delantero catalán que en la actualidad milita en el Newcastle y que en los últimos días ha sonado para reforzar a la maltrecha delantera del Barcelona, ha reconocido que le gustaría regresar al fútbol español ante la falta de oportunidades que está sufriendo en la Premier League.

El catalán atendió a Pablo López y Pablo Juanarena en Radio Marca, y explicó su actual situación en Inglaterra. "Veo que en Inglaterra está pasando el tiempo y que no juego tanto como me gustaría, por lo que no descarto volver a España", dijo el jugador.

"El Barça es un equipo grande, y sería un placer volver a España. Yo me formé en el Barcelona, y como catalán que soy siempre he tenido aprecio al Barça. Mi prioridad es volver a España, Tuve oportunidades de salir de Inglaterra para ir a Grecia o a Francia, pero yo si dejo Inglaterra es para ir a España", sentenció.

"Cuando llegué estuvo lesionado cinco meses, y luego el entrenador no me ha concedido tres partidos seguidos. Si las cosas siguen así me gustaría buscar una salida, pero mientras tanto sólo me queda trabajar duro", dijo Luque, que dejó el Deportivo siendo indiscutible en la Selección y que ahora le cuesta jugar en el Newcastle.

"Llevo más de un mes sin hablar por la prensa de Inglaterra, por lo que me extraña que salgan cosas sobre mí (sobre su posible salida al Barcelona). Prefiero pasar página y no buscar quién ha sido el que se lo ha inventado todo. Es la primera vez que veo una entrevista mia inventada", explicó Luque a 'los Pablos'.