Newcastle United vs Cardiff City - Friday Feb 5th @ 19:45

Skirge

Not sure Shola is the exception, his shooting is generally awful. The last couple of decent strikes he's had have been his first in years!

You're right though, we don't have anyone who looks direct for goal really... I love a striker who just looks to hit it at any opportunity. Defoe's probably the best example around.

That's just nonsense about Shola tbh. In fairness to him he's spent seasons out with injury/being fifth in the pecking order of strikers. He's always been a very good finisher of the ball, and it's no surprise having Shearer alongside him for the first five/six years of his career.

Really, though? Like, seriously?

He's struck a few decent shots in his time but he's never 'a very good finisher'.

I'd say he's a decent finisher but he doesn't really hit that many decent strikes. So I don't agree with either of you  :coolsmiley:

:lol: You people. Just cos it's popular to dislike him and he's generally wank at everything else - don't take everything else away from him.

I'm not even gonna have this argument tbh. It's just cos it's Shola - i'm sorry but that's literally all it is.

Give him the ball, facing the goal, in the box - i'd put money on him scoring more often than not.

Guest icemanblue

:lol: You people. Just cos it's popular to dislike him and he's generally wank at everything else - don't take everything else away from him.

I'm not even gonna have this argument tbh. It's just cos it's Shola - i'm sorry but that's literally all it is.

Give him the ball, facing the goal, in the box - i'd put money on him scoring more often than not.

I agree. By confusing the keeper with a wicked slice.

It's not because it's Shola by the way, I actually like the guy. He's just not what I'd call a 'very good finisher'.

I agree. By confusing the keeper with a wicked slice.

It's not because it's Shola by the way, I actually like the guy. He's just not what I'd call a 'very good finisher'.

Is lyk.

:lol:

I don't hate Shola, it's just struck me how bad his shooting is.

I'm not talking about 'finishing' by the way, I'm talking about striking the ball hard - that's what the original point was.

A possibility for trouble with this one I reckon. Cardiff came up and burned the wheatsheaf down in Sunderland on a Tuesday night a few year ago. Add this to the fact that they'll probably bring a few more up, it's a Friday night and many wont be going straight home after the game... I hope there inst like.

i'm afraid i don't understand this bit in bold.  is it an expression or a pub...  help!  :icon_scratch:

A possibility for trouble with this one I reckon. Cardiff came up and burned the wheatsheaf down in Sunderland on a Tuesday night a few year ago. Add this to the fact that they'll probably bring a few more up, it's a Friday night and many wont be going straight home after the game... I hope there inst like.

i'm afraid i don't understand this bit in bold.  is it an expression or a pub...  help!  :icon_scratch:

Yeah its a pub full of mackems in Sunderland. I think it's kind of their shittier version of the strawberry pub outside SJP.

Smith saying we have 19 cup finals from now to the end of the season. They said the same last season around this time of the year but lost most of them. Hopefully this season everyone will play like if it really was a cup final.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2010/02/04/newcastle-s-alan-smith-ready-for-the-battle-91466-25757515/

Newcastle’s Alan Smith ready for the battle

Feb 4 2010 by Steve Tucker, Western Mail

Comments (2)

Recommend

NEWCASTLE midfielder Alan Smith believes the Magpies have 19 cup finals left until the end of the season – starting with the visit of Cardiff City to St James’ Park tomorrow evening.

The Magpies might well have topped the Championship for the last three months.

But just one win in their last five league outings has seen Chris Hughton’s men starting to glance back nervously over their shoulders.

Second-place Nottingham Forest are just four points behind them with third-place West Brom also on the trail.

And, although the fourth-placed Bluebirds are 11 points off the top spot, former England international Smith insists he and his team-mates are taking nothing for granted as the race for Premiership promotion hots up.

“We’ve got 19 games left, if we can win 10 or 12 of them, we won’t be far short of making sure we get one of the automatic promotion places which was the only objective we had at the start of the season,” said 29-year-old Smith.

“But I wouldn’t say we’re in touching distance of that yet.

“No, it’s a fair way off, 19 games to go and it’s going to be 19 cup finals because every team wants to do well against Newcastle, whether it’s in front of their own fans or when they come to St James.’

“Every game we’ve had this season has been difficult and every one we’re going to have will be difficult as well because that is the way it is in this division, really.”

Newcastle have been boosted in the January transfer window by the arrival of a clutch of fresh faces.

Amongst those arriving on Tyneside have been striker Leon Best, defender Fitz Hall and former Cardiff wideman Wayne Routledge (right).

Smith insist the shake-up to the Magpies’ squad is going to act as a big boost ahead of the arrival of Dave Jones and his men tomorrow.

“It’s given everyone a boost, the last couple of lads came in only a few days ago and a couple of them played against Leicester,” said Smith.

“That can be difficult, but they’re all really good lads, to be fair.

“They know what we expect and they know how difficult this league is because they’ve all played in it before.

That’ll really stand us in good stead.”

Guest toonlass

Smith saying we have 19 cup finals from now to the end of the season. They said the same last season around this time of the year but lost most of them. Hopefully this season everyone will play like if it really was a cup final.

I hope not, we've won fuck all in cup finals for eons.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2010/02/04/newcastle-s-alan-smith-ready-for-the-battle-91466-25757515/

Newcastle’s Alan Smith ready for the battle

Feb 4 2010 by Steve Tucker, Western Mail

Comments (2)

Recommend

NEWCASTLE midfielder Alan Smith believes the Magpies have 19 cup finals left until the end of the season – starting with the visit of Cardiff City to St James’ Park tomorrow evening.

The Magpies might well have topped the Championship for the last three months.

But just one win in their last five league outings has seen Chris Hughton’s men starting to glance back nervously over their shoulders.

Second-place Nottingham Forest are just four points behind them with third-place West Brom also on the trail.

And, although the fourth-placed Bluebirds are 11 points off the top spot, former England international Smith insists he and his team-mates are taking nothing for granted as the race for Premiership promotion hots up.

“We’ve got 19 games left, if we can win 10 or 12 of them, we won’t be far short of making sure we get one of the automatic promotion places which was the only objective we had at the start of the season,” said 29-year-old Smith.

“But I wouldn’t say we’re in touching distance of that yet.

“No, it’s a fair way off, 19 games to go and it’s going to be 19 cup finals because every team wants to do well against Newcastle, whether it’s in front of their own fans or when they come to St James.’

“Every game we’ve had this season has been difficult and every one we’re going to have will be difficult as well because that is the way it is in this division, really.”

Newcastle have been boosted in the January transfer window by the arrival of a clutch of fresh faces.

Amongst those arriving on Tyneside have been striker Leon Best, defender Fitz Hall and former Cardiff wideman Wayne Routledge (right).

Smith insist the shake-up to the Magpies’ squad is going to act as a big boost ahead of the arrival of Dave Jones and his men tomorrow.

“It’s given everyone a boost, the last couple of lads came in only a few days ago and a couple of them played against Leicester,” said Smith.

“That can be difficult, but they’re all really good lads, to be fair.

“They know what we expect and they know how difficult this league is because they’ve all played in it before.

That’ll really stand us in good stead.”

I cringe when i hear players come out with comments like this.

Excellent;

Harper

Simpson    Williamson    Colccini    Van Aanholt

Smith

Nolan

Routledge                                            Jonas

Best          Shola

Is what i expect, although he may start with Shola on the bench. It's hard to predict who he will play up front.

Harper

R. Taylor    Williamson        Coloccini  Van Aanholt

Guthrie      Smith      Butt      Nolan        Routledge

Best

Subs: Krul, Hall, Ameobi, Jonas, Lovenkrands, Carroll, Simpson

Most likely.

Harper

R. Taylor     Williamson         Coloccini   Van Aanholt

Guthrie       Smith      Butt       Nolan         Routledge

Best

Subs: Krul, Hall, Ameobi, Jonas, Lovenkrands, Carroll, Simpson

Most likely.

God I hope not, what a central 3.......

Guest Stephen927

Is their going to be cash turnstiles tomorrow?

To be confirmed.

We'll go to the box office earlier tomorrow, come on MSN mate.