128 days for Fabio to decide: So let us start with goalkeepers...

Ishmael
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've never understood why Kasey Keller is so highly rated by some American fans---some, not all. I've heard some former American players (Alexi Lalas and Eric Wynalda) make positive fools of themselves by praising him to the skies...

A couple of weeks ago Wynalda was carrying on about how the US has the best collection of goalkeepers in the world.   :laugh2: Wow. Just wow. During the same show, he said something about how Leeds might hold out for £10M for Beckford. Totally fucking clueless. If you think that the football pundits are bad in England, you should try watching a little Fox Soccer Channel next time you visit North America.

1878 gets it just right. Friedel really was/is something special. And Howard is decent--- unquestionably the best now available. But beyond that... well, Howard looks to have the job for a while.

Why aren't you flaunting your keepers Mike? One thing that the USA has over the English. Can think of half a dozen yank keepers I would have over the dross listed here.

:lol: little over five months to go, it'd be madness to start in now. Gotta go with the slow burn. Occasional pokes here and there. You can't fuck with these English posters too much, despite topic after topic of arguments, they'll fucking unify in a second to deal with an outsider. They're like fire ants.

Kasey Keller is so good he even has a theme song, like wrestlers!

Okay, probably I stretched it a bit, but 5-6 years ago he was better than anybody you put in an England shirt, and I will fully stand by that.

Spain has the best set of keepers in the tournament (not *the best* starting keeper, mind, Casillas is not who he was 5 years ago, thank fuck)

Okay, probably I stretched it a bit, but 5-6 years ago he was better than anybody you put in an England shirt, and I will fully stand by that.

Spain has the best set of keepers in the tournament (not *the best* starting keeper, mind, Casillas is not who he was 5 years ago, thank fuck)

5/6 years ago Keller was the starting keeper at Tottenham, and they went out and bought Paul Robinson-- because he was the better keeper. Just saying....

Guest schmuck

James and Hart are nailed on for me, going on ability alone Kirkland would walk into the squad too but he can't string 10 games together and fitness problems are the last thing you want to take to the World Cup, third choice would probably be the excellent looking Scott Loach, granted he's unproven at the top level, but when the others are all proven to be average at best it's a risk with few better alternatives. Out of the selection I'd probably plump (pun intended) for Paul Robinson, he has more international experience than anyone else listed bar James, I'd always felt he was overrated on his way up but since his fall from grace I feel it's swung too far the other way and he's become somewhat underrated now. Rob Green has Scott Carson v Croatia written all over him, his reputation benefits greatly from diminished expectations and lack of any real media spotlight or scrutiny on West Ham games (Matthew Upson's too imo). Personally I wouldn't pick Harper but I don't think it's that ridiculous a choice, after all almost all of his best performances for us have been going in at the deep end coming off the bench for Given, which is surely the maximum that would ever be asked of him as third choice.

Anyway, from the list:

James

Hart

Robinson

The way to judge a goalkeeper IMO is on the amount of mistakes they make i.e poor goal kicks, fumbling in the air, parrying into the path of strikers, that sort of thing. It's on this note why i think Harper is a good keeper because he doesn't make daft mistakes.

If you try and judge keepers on good saves and statistics you will never get to the bottom of the situation.

If i was England manager (shudder), i would be looking for someone who wouldn't make the mistakes in the big games.

I voted for Green, Hart and Kirkland. (Kirkland is easily the most gifted keeper we've got)

The way to judge a goalkeeper IMO is on the amount of mistakes they make i.e poor goal kicks, fumbling in the air, parrying into the path of strikers, that sort of thing. It's on this note why i think Harper is a good keeper because he doesn't make daft mistakes.

If you try and judge keepers on good saves and statistics you will never get to the bottom of the situation.

If i was England manager (shudder), i would be looking for someone who wouldn't make the mistakes in the big games.

I voted for Green, Hart and Kirkland. (Kirkland is easily the most gifted keeper we've got)

I'd agree on Kirkland, and fitness permitting, sooner or later I think he'll claim the jersey.

The difficulty at the moment is that none of the keepers of that generation have really established themselves internationally, and a World Cup isn't the place to pitch in an inexperienced keeper.

Hart, James, Robinson.

Kirkland can claim his place ahead of maybe Robinson with good performances and fitness this season...

None of the others have a case to answer, apart from Harper, but he doesn't play in The Premiership...

5/6 years ago Keller was the starting keeper at Tottenham, and they went out and bought Paul Robinson-- because he was the better keeper. Just saying....

They thought he was better, that's for sure.  He also had age on his side unlike Keller.  Oh, and Robinson is English too.

I've never understood why Kasey Keller is so highly rated by some American fans---some, not all. I've heard some former American players (Alexi Lalas and Eric Wynalda) make positive fools of themselves by praising him to the skies...

A couple of weeks ago Wynalda was carrying on about how the US has the best collection of goalkeepers in the world.  :laugh2: Wow. Just wow. During the same show, he said something about how Leeds might hold out for £10M for Beckford. Totally f***ing clueless. If you think that the football pundits are bad in England, you should try watching a little Fox Soccer Channel next time you visit North America.

1878 gets it just right. Friedel really was/is something special. And Howard is decent--- unquestionably the best now available. But beyond that... well, Howard looks to have the job for a while.

Yeah, both said Keller was the best GK in the world at the World Cup...when he was third best in the group. He had the starting job far longer than he should've have, but he was still a very good goalie in his prime.

I think your shortchanging Howard by saying he's decent, I've seen him completely save games multiple times with huge saves throughout, also I don't think any goalie has a better control of his backline. I wouldn't be so sure about him having it for a while though, barring his last two appearances in the LC, Guzan has been really impressive.