EC 2012 Qualifying

Village Idiot

Time to beging the title defense  :)

The draw is this Sunday, probably after a gruelling and cruelly drawn out ceremony.

Pot One: Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.

Pot Two: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.

Pot Three: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Pot Four: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.

Pot Five: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia,Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.

Pot Six: Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Malta, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino.

Amusing to see Liechtestein *not* in pot six.

That's all I have found about the seeding process:

The UEFA co-efficients are decided by taking into consideration a team's performance in the 2006 World Cup finals and preceeding qualifying campaign, Euro 2008 and the preceeding qualifying campaign and 2010 World Cup qualifying, though UEFA do stress that "more recent results are given greater consideration".

Croatia is a somewhat surprising top seed.

Guest Stephen927

I hope we get a challenging group, teams like Turkey and Bulgaria who won't lie down and give us something to think about.

Romania, Austria, Cyprus, Liechtenstein, San Marino. 10 wins out of 10, shirley.

In terms of away destinations how about:

Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Cyprus, Iceland, Malta. Nowhere that you are likely to get attacked and some nice places to visit.

Guest schmuck

Pot 5 and 6 (and the lowest ranked from pot 4 if my maths is correct) should really have to pre-qualify to make one pot, we don't even smash these teams any more, they're just grinding processions to the inevitable 2-0 win, UEFA make far more competitive teams qualify for the Champions League so why not these?

I hope we get some proper games Czech Republic, Serbia or Turkey and at least one of the home nations would be pretty juicy

Seeding is pretty stupid. Should be done on past performances in the competition/qualification surely? Given that we failed to qualify in the 2008. Would guarantee us one pretty exciting game (which England games rarely are) n all but at least we can't get Croatia & Russia so we'll face some new teams.

A decent group:

England, Turkey, ROI, Wales, Montenegro, Faroes

An easy group:

England, Czech Rep, Austria, Wales, Liechtenstein, San Marino

I would love to get Scotland. Other then that I don't really care, though staying away from Denmark is a good idea, we don't have a good record against them sincethe World Cup in 2002. Staying away from Serbia would also be good since we play them in the group stage of the World Cup. To be honest though, every possibility that we have we should be able to beat both home and away despite some games away from home being rather tricky.

I would love to get Scotland. Other then that I don't really care, though staying away from Denmark is a good idea, we don't have a good record against them sincethe World Cup in 2002. Staying away from Serbia would also be good since we play them in the group stage of the World Cup. To be honest though, every possibility that we have we should be able to beat both home and away despite some games away from home being rather tricky.

???

Genuinely think Scotland would have beaten England in the 2008 qualifiers at Hampden and maybe got something at Wembley. There was a real sense of Unity under Mcleish and the match atmosphere was out of this world, whilst England were shakey to say the least. Glad not to have seen England in the 2010 WC qualifiers as that would have been even more embarrassing than it was. Hopefully things will change under Levein and unity will bring us up to another level again but very worried if we met England at the moment we would get pumped. Having said that, the intensity at Hampden when the big nations turn up could shake up any side.

???

Sorry, I meant Slovenia.

???

Sorry, I meant Slovenia.

Slovakia and Slovenia confuse me, they are basically the same country

Turkey would be a fiery affair, we need something like that tbh.

We need a piss-easy draw tbh. In the real thing, i agree entirely - you need someone decent in your group otherwise, once you come up against the big guns, you're under-prepared. That's how i see it anyway and that's why i was quietly disappointed with our World Cup draw.

But in terms of qualifiers, who gives a fuck. Just need to get through.

And besides, the last Turkey affair was a fucking farce (but a cracking game, my first England one).