Can they do this?

Dokko

Richersounds...AKA total cunts.

Been looking for a 32" 1080p set for a while now, really only want to pay £300 but don't mind paying £350 is special cases.

Anyway, Richersounds dropped the price of their 5 series Samsung from £400 to £350 in the last couple of days, so i thought i'd take advantage.

Rang up only to be told they do not have any, in any of the branches and will not be stocking them at all, while also informing me that they've not had any in stock for weeks nationwide and some stores never had any.

WTF!!?

So basically they are advertising a product they don't have, don't plan to get in stock and never had many when they were £400 nevermind then price dropping it to £350 knowing they can't honour their deal.

Total fuking cunts.

Are you never going to shop with them again?

It's an old trick, PC World used to do it all the time but I'm sure there's some legislation against it.

If there's a way i'd like to cause as much trouble for them as possible. I'll never shop there again and ?I will make sure as many people I know will know of these types of tricks and avoid them also.

(Contacted Watchdog like)

Guest icemanblue

Did the same with the Sony Blu-Ray players after Christmas. Lots of advertisements for an £80 player, even had one in the window marked as such. When I asked for one I was told that they were out of stock and it was a limited offer. They just so happened to have a £100 multi region version of the same player in stock though.

Yeah, so, I bought it anyway - it's a good price!

I've bought quite a few things from Richer Sounds in my time. It has to be said though that more or less every time I've gone in to buy a specific product they haven't had any left and I've bought something else instead. I guess their excuse is that they often sell end of the line stuff so numbers are limited.

They pissed me off recently though. I bought a mini hifi off them for £120 in late November. I told the guy it was a Xmas present and that I wouldn't be opening it until Xmas day so could he start the warranty from then. He said he'd write on the receipt that it was a Xmas present. Well, a couple of weeks later I noticed they'd dropped the price £20. I rang up and explained the situation and they basically said tough. They have a 14 day (I think it is) return policy. Even though I hadn't opened the box I couldn't return it or get a £20 refund. In future I'll probably buy from John Lewis or Fenwick's where they operate a fairer system.

Guest diddimz

Common trick really, advertise something with limited stock at a cheap rate, staff buy it out before the store even opens, no stock left, people come in, look for said stock, and instead decide to buy something more expensive, happens all the time over here.

Richersounds...AKA total cunts.

Been looking for a 32" 1080p set for a while now, really only want to pay £300 but don't mind paying £350 is special cases.

Anyway, Richersounds dropped the price of their 5 series Samsung from £400 to £350 in the last couple of days, so i thought i'd take advantage.

Rang up only to be told they do not have any, in any of the branches and will not be stocking them at all, while also informing me that they've not had any in stock for weeks nationwide and some stores never had any.

WTF!!?

So basically they are advertising a product they don't have, don't plan to get in stock and never had many when they were £400 nevermind then price dropping it to £350 knowing they can't honour their deal.

Total fuking cunts.

Website says they have some in stock in:

London Chelsea  - 1 left

London Chiswick - 2 left

London Holborn  - 1 left

Milton Keynes   - 1 left

Preston              - 1 left

Southampton      - 1 left

Strangely, even if they had it there in the store with a price tag on it, they're under no obligation to sell it to you for the price they're advertising. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/441740.stm

A shopkeeper has a television for sale. He puts it in the window with a large sign advertising the price. A customer sees it in the shop window and offers to buy it.

The shopkeeper does not have to sell the television if he does not want to. At that stage there is no contract.

The shopkeeper is making what lawyers call an 'invitation to treat', an invitation to the customer to make him an offer.

So the customer cannot insist on buying the television at the advertised price. If the shopkeeper has put an unusually low price on it - deliberately or by mistake - he can refuse to do a deal with the customer.

Guest Stephen927

Are you never going to shop with them again?

It's an old trick, PC World used to do it all the time but I'm sure there's some legislation against it.

If there's a way i'd like to cause as much trouble for them as possible. I'll never shop there again and ?I will make sure as many people I know will know of these types of tricks and avoid them also.

(Contacted Watchdog like)

Toons Taylor,

f*** YEAH!

Coming again, to save the mother f***ing day yeah,

Toons Taylor,

f*** YEAH!

Freedom is the only way yeah,

Richer Sounds your game is through cause now you have to answer to,

Toons Taylor,

f*** YEAH!

So lick his butt, and suck on his balls,

Toons Taylor,

f*** YEAH!

What you going to do when he comes for you now,

he's the dream that we all share; he's the hope for tomorrow

Strangely, even if they had it there in the store with a price tag on it, they're under no obligation to sell it to you for the price they're advertising. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/441740.stm

A shopkeeper has a television for sale. He puts it in the window with a large sign advertising the price. A customer sees it in the shop window and offers to buy it.

The shopkeeper does not have to sell the television if he does not want to. At that stage there is no contract.

The shopkeeper is making what lawyers call an 'invitation to treat', an invitation to the customer to make him an offer.

So the customer cannot insist on buying the television at the advertised price. If the shopkeeper has put an unusually low price on it - deliberately or by mistake - he can refuse to do a deal with the customer.

Hagling then.

"I will give you these two fine sheep for that fine TV in your window"

Arrgggh invitations to treat. Fucking contract law.

Blame Boots! It was them wanting to sell drugs that started all of it.

USed to love it when smart arses would claim that I had to sell them something at price x as it was under a special price banner (yeah I saw your kid put it there just before you picked it up) and I would just quote this lovely piece of law at them.

I'm pretty sure that there is some consumer protection now though, where if a price isn't obviously wrong then the shop is on less firm ground

Arrgggh invitations to treat. Fucking contract law.

Blame Boots! It was them wanting to sell drugs that started all of it.

USed to love it when smart arses would claim that I had to sell them something at price x as it was under a special price banner (yeah I saw your kid put it there just before you picked it up) and I would just quote this lovely piece of law at them.

I'm pretty sure that there is some consumer protection now though, where if a price isn't obviously wrong then the shop is on less firm ground

Ugh that Boots case, still always the first case law that springs to mind for me (regardless of what area of law I'm thinking about  bluelaugh.gif )