Windows 7 - Unused RAM?

Guest cfhpantera27

Guest cfhpantera27

Hey guys,

I bought a new HDD and installed Windows 7 evaluation copy and just noticed in My computer properties that My computer only sees half my RAM as usuable - Installed 2GB (0.99GB usable)

My system supports upto 4GB, anyone knows whats going on?

Unfortunatley there seems to be no Mem settings in my BIOS.. any ideas?

cheers

On an identical system if Vista could only use 3.6 gB, then Win7 will only be able to use approximately 3.6 gB

This is because certain devices reserve address space for their use below the 4 gB limit.  So if .4 gB is reserved, then you'll only be able to use 3.6 gB before you hit the 4 gB limit.  This means that the 4 gB that you have will have .4 gB above the 4 gB limit (where you can't use it).

You can view the devices that do this by opening Device Manager and selecting Resources by Connection in the View Menu, and expand the Memory node.

<Stolen from another site as that was worded better than what I had written>

Guest cfhpantera27

cheers the for replys,  :thup:

I'm getting a full version of windows 7 soon, so ill try 64bit, to b honest my machine is quite outdated, an hp from about '03 that i got cheap off a mate, put a bigger hdd in it and doubled the ram and with Windows 7 evalution copy it's running pretty good for all i use it for (web, itunes, photoshop, etc) compared to xp, just thought it was wierd its only showin half the ram usuable, and when i take half ram out it uses it all..  ???

Guest cfhpantera27

Did XP pick up all of the RAM?

For certain boards RAM needs to be added in pairs otherwise it does not work.

I.E did you install two 1 GB modules or one 2 GB module?

I only had 1gb of RAM when XP was installed, now in the 4 slots I have 1x 1gb, 1x 512mb and 2x 256mbs ...old school baby  :rolleyes:

Guest cfhpantera27

use this tool - http://www.crucial.com/

and it will tell you how your RAM should be installed.

ran the scanner and got this:

* Currently Installed Memory:  2048 MB

* Available Memory Slots:  N.A.

* Total Memory Slots:  4

* Dual Channel Support:  N.A.

Your onboard video will be nicking most of it. You don't have a dedicated video card do you ?

It isn't a fault, you need more ram. Nothing to do with your o/s

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble at the minute, tried to upgrade to 3gb from 3gb but win 7 doesn't seem to like 6gb.  It will run at 4gb no problem but with 6gb it crashes to BSOD.

You got 64 bit version ? If not the max you can have is 4GB. Also check the pairs are matched up properly, I had an issue a while back when I didnt match the ram and it caused to to crash on startup.