Vinyl and Tapes to MP3

Robster

I am looking at ways to convert my old Tapes and Vinyl into MP3 files.

I know you can buy specific Turntables and Tape Decks now but they seem a bit of an extravagance as you are only likely to use them once.

I saw some software on Ebay for £3.00 that says it does the same thing but that seems to cheap.

Has anyone else done this? Bascially just looking for the least expensive way of doing it.

Guest guinness_fiend

This is the cheapest and easiest, if not the best, way - use your existing amp: http://www.wikihow.com/Transfer-Cassette-Tape-to-Computer

You can do the same thing with your vinyl.

You can also find software on the web that will allow you to press play once and convert a whole side, splitting the digital recording into individual tracks once it has finished (i.e. still do steps 1-4 of the above walkthrough, but use something a bit more user friendly that Windows Media Player to do the rest).  The Ebay software will probably do the trick and is worth a punt.  Basically, you are doing a glorified tape-to-tape, so it's not rocket science.  Some pieces of software allow you to master your final recordings, but it's a bit techy and largely unneccesary if the original recording is decent.

Personally, I would suggest first making a list of your music and trying to "find" it on the internet, as a downloadable version (from strictly legal sites, obviously, as one would not want to condone piracy...) would save you a great deal of time and effort and would likely be ripped from a higher-quality CD source in the first place.

Hope this makes sense!

(as an aside, if you choose this option - rip all of your music to .WAV files and then do a batch convert to MP3 afterwards to save fannying about, at VBR 128-256 quality)

Guest guinness_fiend

Thats absolutely brilliant GF. Thank you.

I have a load of REM bootleg live LP's from early 80's.. so a fair bit of stuff probably wont be accessible on the web for download.

Really appreciate your help  :thup:

Not a problem.  Drop me a PM if you get stuck and I'll see if I can help you out.

(it's worth looking for the bootlegs by the way - I have a "friend" that managed to pick up a lot of 70s/80s live recordings a while back, as someone had posted the lot to a fan forum)

Guest guinness_fiend

Before I forget, when recording from the source to your PC, make sure the volume is set up so your graphic equalizer (any third-party software will include one) shows the input volume as *just* touching the top red bar (watch out, as it stays on red you may find that the recording sounds distorted).

The lower the input audio volume, the more likely you'll have to play with it = increased possibility of hiss on the recording.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l316/killsy_/graphic-equalizer.gif

• 4 weeks later...