Broadband and your local telephone exchange

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Wholesale Broadband Connect means virtually nothing for end users. All it means is BT Retail have the option of rolling out the same ADSL2+ services already offered by O2, Sky etc from the Benton exchange.

At your line length (ie getting 2.4Mbps at present), you won't see much improvement until they bring FTTC there. You might already be on ADSL2+ anyway.

Wholesale Broadband Connect means virtually nothing for end users. All it means is BT Retail have the option of rolling out the same ADSL2+ services already offered by O2, Sky etc from the Benton exchange.

At your line length (ie getting 2.4Mbps at present), you won't see much improvement until they bring FTTC there. You might already be on ADSL2+ anyway.

Btw 2.4Mbps is a million miles from lousy.

I agree but should have said, that is during the day when it's at it's quickest. Oh well, role on the day of faster broadband for all.

It took me 5 hours to download the AVP demo (which is 780mb) to my Xbox 360. I've no idea why it take so long for downloads to the Xbox. My PC downloads as quickly as you'd expect a 2.4Mbps connection to work.

Try looking at a company called plusnet who use the adsl network, there top product runs full speed (of you line) 24/7. no slow down and always give top speed for gaming data packets, used them for over 3 years now only running at 1.4mb and it's been faultless

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/pro.shtml

All traffic prioritised at all times

Low latency and pings

Reliable and stable connection

Access to our gaming servers

Up to 20Mb1 download speeds

Get a static IP and turn interleaving off if you need to

20GB usage allowance

Free usage between midnight-8am (perfect for scheduling large downloads)

Award-winning 24/7 support, online and by phone

Free 4-Port wireless router available

240 minutes of VoIP calls to make at any time2

if you like what you seen then give me a shout, and i can get a referal discount for you.

PS don't be put of by the 20GB cap, thats daytime usage, after midnight you can download as much as you wish

I agree but should have said, that is during the day when it's at it's quickest. Oh well, role on the day of faster broadband for all.

It took me 5 hours to download the AVP demo (which is 780mb) to my Xbox 360. I've no idea why it take so long for downloads to the Xbox. My PC downloads as quickly as you'd expect a 2.4Mbps connection to work.

It's quicker during the day because fewer people are online. You share your connection with anything up to 50 other people.

The speed on your Xbox is more likely to be a slow server at their end than your connection, and is certainly if your PC is quicker at the same time of day/night.

Guest elbee909

FUPped to fuck and a stupidly long contract. ;)

What do you currently get on ADSL2+?

ADSL2+ = fuck all, really, round here at least.  All measurements of the line top-out at 7 Mb and it's usually more like 4 in practice.  So I don't really have a choice round here.  I've gone with the unlimited one at £25 a month, obviously still going to have a fair-use policy but then who doesn't have one these days?

I'll let you know how it goes, they claim it'll be about 30 Mb so will see.

Guest elbee909

Hang on, you must be on right next to the exchange if there's no ADSL2+ and you can get 7Mbps. In which case FTTC should get you 40Mbps.

I mean, my ADSL2+ gets me about 7.  It's helluva-slow - sorry if it wasn't clear, just don't get good speeds with ADSL 2+ which is what I meant.  I hope I'll get ok figures with fibre, a lot depends on where the bottleneck really is.

Ah. :thup:

2.4Mbps is 'lousy' and now 4-7Mbps is 'helluva-slow'. You people. :(

I quantified that 2.4Mbps as the best of the best that I get. I was getting 300Kbps a few weeks ago for some reason. It was almost worse than dial up.

I have been trying to download the 'Battlefield: Bad Company 2' demo on the Xbox 360. It took around 3 hours to download 27% (of a 1.3GB total). A friend who is on Talk Talk free broadband downloaded it in 20 minutes. Another friend with 10Mbps connection said it took him 5 hours. I don't get how Xbox 360 downloads work speed wise.

Maybe it's your ISP capping speeds at busy times, I'm with TT and it takes about 15-20 mins a gig at any time of day. 3 hours to download that much is absolutely ridiculous, have you rang your provide? they might have a solution.

Maybe it's your ISP capping speeds at busy times, I'm with TT and it takes about 15-20 mins a gig at any time of day. 3 hours to download that much is absolutely ridiculous, have you rang your provide? they might have a solution.

It only seems to occur on the Xbox. I can download a big file with the PC in the time you'd expect it to take on a 2.4Mbps connection.