Macbooks

Tooj

Thinking of investing in a decent laptop and pretty much everyone I know has one of these and say they are the dog's danglies. I know the initial outlay is more than a laptop, I was just wondering if anybody could tell me the pro's etc of owning such a thing.

The only reason I want one is because I would use it for audio work and maybe video work. They last a lot longer in general than laptops and if you treat it well and get a fairly high end one then it will be fast enough for quite a while. They don't really get viruses ever and are also a joy to use in my experience. You can get windows on them too which is useful.

I've got a MacBook Pro and it's excellent. Can't compare it with anything except my previous Mac, though. On the extremely rare occasions when I have to work on PCs, I find them clunky and annoying. The one friend of mine who prefers PCs says she likes the clunkiness.

Same, I use it for audio and I swear they're a dream (I have an imac, not a macbook).

I nearly shelled out for  a Macbook recently but they've stopped making them with firewire ports, which is proper shite for what I do. Something to consider.

I've got a MacBook Pro and it's excellent. Can't compare it with anything except my previous Mac, though. On the extremely rare occasions when I have to work on PCs, I find them clunky and annoying. The one friend of mine who prefers PCs says she likes the clunkiness.

It's funny like cos I've had to use the gf's Mac for the last few days and I find it extremely awkward compared to my laptop.  I always read about how user-friendly and intuitive Macs are but I'm yet to see it myself.  Her's is about 5 years old mind, plus I'm a computer novice as I say and I guess it's what you're used to to an extent.

I basically have nothing to offer here, sorry. :lol:

I just got a MacBook Pro after having to send my HP laptop back for repair due to never-ending crashes and video failure (they basically replaced the innards without ever explaining exactly what was wrong). The Mac's operating system takes a little bit of getting used to when switching from a PC, but once it clicks it makes sense and is really easy to use. So far the Mac has been very stable and everything is incredibly quick -- no more cursing at the HP while it takes forever to wake up from sleeping. Also, as mentioned above, no anti-virus concerns for Macs (at least for now, we'll see in the coming years).

Theres an apple shop opening in the new bit of eldon square in a couple of weeks.

Yup, their certainly is, it opens on the 16th, which is a week on Tuesday. It would be a good idea to go there and try it out while asking questions about it etc to all the staff who will be able to help you more then the staff at Comet or PC World. I've been considering one for a little while now and I think when I get the money (job first) and the time comes to replace my laptop it will be for a Mac.