The airship is making a comeback

Kaizero

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/dsjd.jpg

London - New York would take 37 hours, whilst London - Shanghai would take 90 with the top speed at 150km/h. They say the first one would be ready in 2015, would you fly in one of those across the Atlantic? :nope:

:lol: You know, thinking about it, I think it would be great. I'd wait for the first few to crash, though. No way I get in that first one.

The only cool thing about the shit airship idea is the way it looks, I'd imagine the phones in NY would go off the hook with calls to the police as they'd would confuse it with a spaceship not having heard about it.

No, it would take far too long to get anywhere and by the amount of fuel it would have to use to keep it in the air for so long it would cost about the same if not more then a flight.

It'd never be the fast way to get somewhere, but if they could pull off a decent "Hotel in the sky" sort of thing, it might be nice.

Of course, you say airship and everyone thinks Hindenburg.

The idea of spending several days in some hydrogen filled balloon that could randomly ignite and disintegrate at any second is not appealling in any way. I hardly enjoy the 7 hours plane journey.

You could get terminal cancer, have a heart attack while home alone, get hit by a bus or your MD-90 could crash on take off out of Newark on a rainy day while you sit in coach class on a business trip to somewhere horrible and boring.

Or your palatial zeppelin bursts into flames on live television, sheets of fire raining down on the city below, while you desperately cling to the mooring rope hundreds of feet from the ground in a James Bond tuxedo before the conflagration devours you.  It is an epic way to die.  The humanity!

Every 5-7 years someone comes up with htis idea and it never works

they are slow, they are unreliable, they are dangerous and they can't carry very much for their size

WTH would you use one?

You could get terminal cancer, have a heart attack while home alone, get hit by a bus or your MD-90 could crash on take off out of Newark on a rainy day while you sit in coach class on a business trip to somewhere horrible and boring.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT YOU'RE RIGHT  :frantic:

Surely they would use Helium which is non-flammable, so there'd be no chance of fire.

I'm sure a massive hole in the side wouldn't suit it too well regardless of what they fill it with. I guess they'd have it cut off in sections, though i wouldn't want to be inside it to find out if the sectioning works.

The idea of spending several days in some hydrogen filled balloon that could randomly ignite and disintegrate at any second is not appealling in any way. I hardly enjoy the 7 hours plane journey.

they don't use hydrogen any more.

actually it's a day and a half in my universe............  and having spent 26 hours getting to New Zealand (one stop) in October  there are some pretty long flights out there right now

But as you say - when you can go BA to the states in 7-8 hours.................  and airships will not be cheap - you can't get 550 people on them for a start