For All You Get Out Of Our Club Haters...

TheGuv

Guest malandro

I sit in the East Stand and last night i could hear plenty people singing and trying to join in, obviously people were unaware of some of the new songs but they will catch after a couple of games.

Its a shame some people who sit in L7 seem to have the were better than everyone else attitude

But we are when it comes to making an atmosphere.

A lot of the supporters in the east stand have been supporting the club longer than most the people in the LC have been alive. They’ve seen it all before and grew out of the ‘shoes off’ stage years ago, just because they haven’t got their heads stuck up their arse doesn’t make them lesser supporters. It may take a lot to get them excited but don’t confuse that with a lack of passion.

The LC is a singing section, it’s hardly any surprise then if they sing more than the rest of the ground. It would be sad reflection on their commitment if they didn’t sing, especially as the rules the rest of the ground is subjected to have been significantly relaxed in the LC. Try standing up for more than 30 seconds in the east stand and there’ll be a steward feeling your collar in no time.  All in all the amount of noise generated by the LC is on a par with what you would expect from a singing section and  all this we’re better than everybody else stuff is infantile; creating the impression those in LC are more interested in bragging about how brilliant they are than anything else. It’s comes across like it’s all about them and not actually about supporting the club... hey, look at me, aren’t I great.

LC makes more noise than other parts of the ground and deserves some credit for this, but it’s also largely populated by kids and has an immature attitude that is starting to grate on the rest of the ground, with the overuse of the ‘your support if fucking shite’ chant being a good example. At the end of the day the demand for a singing section stemmed from a decline in the atmosphere across SJP. The question that has to be asked now is if the LC has helped improve the atmosphere in SJP, or just created a clique of kids who stand in the corner with an overblown sense of their own importance. If it’s the latter it would be in the interest of NUFC to get rid of it.

At the end of the day few of us like to sing in isolation and the influx of ‘family orientated’ fans resulted in the more vocal supporters being divided into little groups spread across the ground. So when the singing section was created it was understandable that some chose to move up to LC and the safety in numbers it offers, while others decided to stay put and support the team in parts of the ground where supporters who want to sing are outnumbered by more bashful supporters. Unfortunately, the exodus of ‘singers’ to the LC has made the problem across the ground worse. Not all of those in the LC moved up there of course, the ultras had been knocking around L7 long before Mr Ashley saw an opportunity to shift tickets for the crap seats/reduce policing costs. Perhaps if improving the atmosphere had been his motivation we’d have ended up with a singing section that invigorated the whole ground instead of the divisive influence the LC seems to be becoming.

This post may seem like a criticism of the lads and lasses in the LC but it’s not. I go up there sometimes and by and large they’re a good bunch who support the team well. It is though a heads up to those who are quick to slag off the loyal supporters who have filled the other 35,000 seats this season. What would the atmosphere be like if there were only a few thousand home fans in the far corner of the ground? How would the team respond to playing at a virtually empty stadium?

I sit in the East Stand and last night i could hear plenty people singing and trying to join in, obviously people were unaware of some of the new songs but they will catch after a couple of games.

Its a shame some people who sit in L7 seem to have the were better than everyone else attitude

A lot of the supporters in the east stand have been supporting the club longer than most the people in the LC have been alive. They’ve seen it all before and grew out of the ‘shoes off’ stage years ago, just because they haven’t got their heads stuck up their arse doesn’t make them lesser supporters. It may take a lot to get them excited but don’t confuse that with a lack of passion.

The LC is a singing section, it’s hardly any surprise then if they sing more than the rest of the ground. It would be sad reflection on their commitment if they didn’t sing, especially as the rules the rest of the ground is subjected to have been significantly relaxed in the LC. Try standing up for more than 30 seconds in the east stand and there’ll be a steward feeling your collar in no time.  All in all the amount of noise generated by the LC is on a par with what you would expect from a singing section and  all this we’re better than everybody else stuff is infantile; creating the impression those in LC are more interested in bragging about how brilliant they are than anything else. It’s comes across like it’s all about them and not actually about supporting the club... hey, look at me, aren’t I great.

LC makes more noise than other parts of the ground and deserves some credit for this, but it’s also largely populated by kids and has an immature attitude that is starting to grate on the rest of the ground, with the overuse of the ‘your support if fucking shite’ chant being a good example. At the end of the day the demand for a singing section stemmed from a decline in the atmosphere across SJP. The question that has to be asked now is if the LC has helped improve the atmosphere in SJP, or just created a clique of kids who stand in the corner with an overblown sense of their own importance. If it’s the latter it would be in the interest of NUFC to get rid of it.

At the end of the day few of us like to sing in isolation and the influx of ‘family orientated’ fans resulted in the more vocal supporters being divided into little groups spread across the ground. So when the singing section was created it was understandable that some chose to move up to LC and the safety in numbers it offers, while others decided to stay put and support the team in parts of the ground where supporters who want to sing are outnumbered by more bashful supporters. Unfortunately, the exodus of ‘singers’ to the LC has made the problem across the ground worse. Not all of those in the LC moved up there of course, the ultras had been knocking around L7 long before Mr Ashley saw an opportunity to shift tickets for the crap seats/reduce policing costs. Perhaps if improving the atmosphere had been his motivation we’d have ended up with a singing section that invigorated the whole ground instead of the divisive influence the LC seems to be becoming.

This post may seem like a criticism of the lads and lasses in the LC but it’s not. I go up there sometimes and by and large they’re a good bunch who support the team well. It is though a heads up to those who are quick to slag off the loyal supporters who have filled the other 35,000 seats this season. What would the atmosphere be like if there were only a few thousand home fans in the far corner of the ground? How would the team respond to playing at a virtually empty stadium?

Best "first post" I've ever read. :clap:

Guest toonlass

I take your point Malandro, and some of the toon ultras made the decision to move to the Strawberry Corner to try and get some singing going in that corner too, but it doesn't seem to be working too well so far. I don't think anyone in the LC thinks they are any better than anyone else, but it is annoying to see little effort made by the East Stand when the rest of the ground is joining in. For example when singing "stand up if you love the toon". In the other stands other people stood up, in the East stand hardly anyone stood up.

I take your point Malandro, and some of the toon ultras made the decision to move to the Strawberry Corner to try and get some singing going in that corner too, but it doesn't seem to be working too well so far. I don't think anyone in the LC thinks they are any better than anyone else, but it is annoying to see little effort made by the East Stand when the rest of the ground is joining in. For example when singing "stand up if you love the toon". In the other stands other people stood up, in the East stand hardly anyone stood up.

The east stand is full of ' Boys' from the 80s who are far too cool and hard to get worked up. ;D ;D

Guest toonlass

The east stand is full of ' Boys' from the 80s who are far too cool and hard to get worked up. ;D ;D

Or too old and infirm to stand up  O0

Guest michaelfoster

LC makes more noise than other parts of the ground and deserves some credit for this, but it’s also largely populated by kids and has an immature attitude that is starting to grate on the rest of the ground, with the overuse of the ‘your support if f***ing s****’ chant being a good example. At the end of the day the demand for a singing section stemmed from a decline in the atmosphere across SJP. The question that has to be asked now is if the LC has helped improve the atmosphere in SJP, or just created a clique of kids who stand in the corner with an overblown sense of their own importance. If it’s the latter it would be in the interest of NUFC to get rid of it.

Fantastic post, agree 100%

Although there are kids in the LC, the LC holds 3k and it is probably less than 20% kids.  It is cheap, so obviously charvs are going to choose there.  I am 22, not a kid or anything, and the majority around me (that have s/t's) are about 20-30 average.  I don't particularly enjoy 'Your support is fucking shit' chants, and dont parcipitate, but many of the older lads do.  There is one bloke there, about 50 probably, stands just down from me and he always gives it big licks to the away fans; far from a kid - however I imagine when you judge the area from half a mile away, you will picture him as a kid.  Stereotyping is something everyone does - whether it be LC saying East Stand are old boring farts or East Stand stating LC is all kids.

The thing that's really positive about this is that you're arguing about which songs are embarrassing, rather than the deafening silence that's embarrassed me on a number of occasions.

Nothing worse than when you try and challenge the silence and people look at you like you're committing a crime, or try and take the p*ss. I don't know why most people bother going to be honest. Don't see the appeal if it's silent.

The thing that's really positive about this is that you're arguing about which songs are embarrassing, rather than the deafening silence that's embarrassed me on a number of occasions.

Nothing worse than when you try and challenge the silence and people look at you like you're committing a crime, or try and take the p*ss. I don't know why most people bother going to be honest. Don't see the appeal if it's silent.

you've been in the east stand,

Guest toonlass

I couldn't imagine wanting to go to the match and sitting there, not singing or chanting. Might as well watch the game on the telly tbh.

Guest toonlass

lol. I've always known you as Toonlass though.

I get kids come up to me on the concourse and say "hello toonlass". I think I am old enough to be their mam too, and it just sounds silly.  :lol:

The lack of atmosphere makes me really depressed sometimes, but at least there are always the better ones to remember. Here are some over the last 5 seasons that stick in my mind:

1-5 Vs Liverpool (08/09)

1-1 Vs Sunderland (08/09)

2-2 Vs West Ham (08/09)

2-0 Vs Sunderland (07/08)

0-0 Vs Bolton (07/08)

1-4 Vs Portsmouth (07/08)

3-1 Vs Tottenham (07/08)

1-1 Vs Arsenal (07/08)

1-0 Vs Tottenham (04/05, FA Cup)

1-0 Vs Liverpool (04/05)

1-0 Vs Sporting Lisbon (04/05, Uefa Cup)

1-0 Vs Chelsea (04/05, FA Cup)

4-3 Vs Man. City (04/5)

Guest malandro

Although there are kids in the LC, the LC holds 3k and it is probably less than 20% kids.  It is cheap, so obviously charvs are going to choose there.  I am 22, not a kid or anything, and the majority around me (that have s/t's) are about 20-30 average.  I don't particularly enjoy 'Your support is f***ing s***' chants, and dont parcipitate, but many of the older lads do.  There is one bloke there, about 50 probably, stands just down from me and he always gives it big licks to the away fans; far from a kid - however I imagine when you judge the area from half a mile away, you will picture him as a kid.  Stereotyping is something everyone does - whether it be LC saying East Stand are old boring farts or East Stand stating LC is all kids.

I take your point, but generalisations are hard to avoid and the average age in the LC has to be significantly lower than the rest of the ground.  Apart from the ever expanding family section, which is another contributing factor to the decline in the atmosphere as it acts as barrier to the chants emanating from the LC reaching the Gallowgate, and vice versa.

The real problem with the singing section is the location. It doesn’t really connect with the rest of the ground and is so far from the pitch that many long time supporters simply wouldn’t consider moving there. If you’ve grown up being able to see the detail of the play upping sticks to L7 is a big sacrifice. So we’ve ended up with a singing section that doesn’t accurately represent the crowd as a whole. It isn’t a catalyst for getting chants going, it’s just its own little world. Again this isn’t a criticism of its occupants; it’s not their fault Ashley decided to stick the singing section in the remotest part of the ground.

The important thing is to remember we all support the club and the reason there’s more noise from the LC isn’t because it’s jammed packed with uber supporters. We’d be far better off campaigning for the singing section to be extended into the lower corner of the Leazes (or something like that) than slagging each other off.  In an ideal world this is the kind of stuff NUST would be getting involved in but for whatever reason they’re not.

Guest Roger Kint

The lack of atmosphere makes me really depressed sometimes, but at least there are always the better ones to remember. Here are some over the last 5 seasons that stick in my mind:

1-4 Vs Portsmouth (07/08)

Better, i dont remember it being partcularly good atmosphere like? Thoroughly depressing game, plenty of booing and the one the media like to highlight when slagging us off ???

A lot of the supporters in the east stand have been supporting the club longer than most the people in the LC have been alive. Theyve seen it all before and grew out of the shoes off stage years ago, just because they havent got their heads stuck up their arse doesnt make them lesser supporters. It may take a lot to get them excited but dont confuse that with a lack of passion.

The LC is a singing section, its hardly any surprise then if they sing more than the rest of the ground. It would be sad reflection on their commitment if they didnt sing, especially as the rules the rest of the ground is subjected to have been significantly relaxed in the LC. Try standing up for more than 30 seconds in the east stand and therell be a steward feeling your collar in no time.  All in all the amount of noise generated by the LC is on a par with what you would expect from a singing section and  all this were better than everybody else stuff is infantile; creating the impression those in LC are more interested in bragging about how brilliant they are than anything else. Its comes across like its all about them and not actually about supporting the club... hey, look at me, arent I great.

LC makes more noise than other parts of the ground and deserves some credit for this, but its also largely populated by kids and has an immature attitude that is starting to grate on the rest of the ground, with the overuse of the your support if f***ing s**** chant being a good example. At the end of the day the demand for a singing section stemmed from a decline in the atmosphere across SJP. The question that has to be asked now is if the LC has helped improve the atmosphere in SJP, or just created a clique of kids who stand in the corner with an overblown sense of their own importance. If its the latter it would be in the interest of NUFC to get rid of it.

At the end of the day few of us like to sing in isolation and the influx of family orientated fans resulted in the more vocal supporters being divided into little groups spread across the ground. So when the singing section was created it was understandable that some chose to move up to LC and the safety in numbers it offers, while others decided to stay put and support the team in parts of the ground where supporters who want to sing are outnumbered by more bashful supporters. Unfortunately, the exodus of singers to the LC has made the problem across the ground worse. Not all of those in the LC moved up there of course, the ultras had been knocking around L7 long before Mr Ashley saw an opportunity to shift tickets for the crap seats/reduce policing costs. Perhaps if improving the atmosphere had been his motivation wed have ended up with a singing section that invigorated the whole ground instead of the divisive influence the LC seems to be becoming.

This post may seem like a criticism of the lads and lasses in the LC but its not. I go up there sometimes and by and large theyre a good bunch who support the team well. It is though a heads up to those who are quick to slag off the loyal supporters who have filled the other 35,000 seats this season. What would the atmosphere be like if there were only a few thousand home fans in the far corner of the ground? How would the team respond to playing at a virtually empty stadium?

Top post, sums up this strange situation perfectly.