For All You Get Out Of Our Club Haters...

TheGuv

Yes this is what we need looking forward not backwards.

Go along with that sentiment.

A bit wise and intelligent for this forum though ? ;)

The lack of atmosphere makes me really depressed sometimes, but at least there are always the better ones to remember. Here are some over the last 5 seasons that stick in my mind:

1-4 Vs Portsmouth (07/08)

Better, i dont remember it being partcularly good atmosphere like? Thoroughly depressing game, plenty of booing and the one the media like to highlight when slagging us off ???

Hang on. Thought that doesn't happen ? At least according to a few on here anyway

Nah. Musn't happen despite how often I read it in the football pages (and not just there either) over the years

Guest Roger Kint

The lack of atmosphere makes me really depressed sometimes, but at least there are always the better ones to remember. Here are some over the last 5 seasons that stick in my mind:

Better, i dont remember it being partcularly good atmosphere like? Thoroughly depressing game, plenty of booing and the one the media like to highlight when slagging us off ???

Hang on. Thought that doesn't happen ? At least according to a few on here anyway

Nah. Musn't happen despite how often I read it in the football pages (and not just there either) over the years

Remember that photo the red tops love to show of a fan abusing BSA? Am sure that was from that game.

I sit in the East Stand and last night i could hear plenty people singing and trying to join in, obviously people were unaware of some of the new songs but they will catch after a couple of games.

Its a shame some people who sit in L7 seem to have the were better than everyone else attitude

I would say on the contrary. I would consider The East Stand to have the attitude problem. (my evidence is based on the majority)

Why do they feel they need not to join in with the rest of the Ground when we "stand up if we love the Toon"? loads of people stand up when singing stand up if you love the toon

Why do they feel they need not to wave their free Black and white flags as a sign of defiance, commanded to by none other than Sir Alan of Shearer, live on TV as the teams emerge into the arena of a relegation 6 pointer? yes we did, alot of the east stand were waving flags, i was there waving my flag too

Why do patrons feel they need to tell you to "sit down" if you happen to still be on your feet more than 4 seconds after KO? no idea what you mean here

Why does the place still smell of piss after nearly 40 years  :lol: childish dig or due to neither current or previous chairman have invested in redecorating inside as it is desperatly outdated.

Why do patrons take a novel to read at half time? majority go inside at h/t its a small stand and usually difficult to move around

Why is there little animation towards a player/referee from patrons close to a controversial touchline incident? People get chucked out of the Gallowgate for such protests? people who get annoyed, stand up, swear & shout towards players & referees, maybe the stewards are more lenient in the East Stand due to there never being much bother cause its not full of chav kids

And most importantly of all...why is there very little atmosphere at all in a compact stand with 6000 people in it? ive sat there since i was 5, im now 22 & id say there is an atmosphere in the East Stand but due to it being the smallest stand its normally deafened by the rest of the ground

Now, it cant be down to the fact that members of the East Stand dont love the toon as much as the other stands! So logically it can only be down to...

A...the East Stand has an attitude, not wanting to join in with everyone else.    

or

B. Laziness/boring b****** disease.

Another childish dig which serves no purpose to your arguement

I bet I could find atleast 25,000 people who will disagree with you.

The rest of it was mainly  :fishing: tbh. I used to sit in the East Stand...hence I know about the being tapped on the shoulder and being told to sit down 2 seconds after K.O.

The Shearer flag thing against Boro last year was embarrasing. You may have been waving your flag but there were thousands who simply didnt!

As Malandro said

A lot of the supporters in the east stand have been supporting the club longer than most the people in the LC have been alive. They’ve seen it all before and grew out of the ‘shoes off’ stage years ago, just because they haven’t got their heads stuck up their arse doesn’t make them lesser supporters. It may take a lot to get them excited but don’t confuse that with a lack of passion.

I dont care how old and decrepit they are? I dont care how much it takes to get excited? 5-0 obviously does nowt???  But if your manager tells you to wave a flag on the brink of relegation in a 6 point local Derby and it is too much trouble...then they should think about handing over their tickets to the youth and let them get behind the team. Then East Standians  can "support" the team just as "passionately" sitting at home with their Tartan Blankets, Cherry Bakewells, Slippers and Pipes listening to the Wireless!

Guest Roger Kint

Thought it was the Liverpool defeat

May have been, was the same week iirc. Just checked nufc.com and this was the review of our fans v Pompey:

Whoever was enlisted to turn back the clocks last week at St.James' Park looked to have been a little too enthusiastic, with the result that we were transported back to a time of defensive dithering and a home crowd who were anything but supportive of their own side.

The SJP crowd's collective failure to interact or show genuine empathy in the form of support throughout the game today was as depressing as it was expected. Short memories, lads.

Sh*t-stirring papers claimed that hundreds of fans had left at 0-3 and while that's just not true, the ease with which Newcastle supporters can be separated from their seats is becoming bewildering - turning up now seems to be enough of a gesture of support for many.

It's been obvious for some time that people's attention spans have dropped to around 25 minutes per half, but tolerance levels now seem to be roughly akin to the average chocolate fireplace.

Either way it was as i remembered, bloody awful on and off the pitch

I remember a good atmosphere. When Portsmouth's third went in the Leazes went absolutely mental in disgust. Then, Distin was taking a free kick in the north west corner and the whole corner started singing 'there's only one greedy bstrd'. We soon pulled one back and the crowd went mental again, followed by a roar of encouragement as the ball was taken back to the spot. A lot of negativity perhaps, but plenty of atmosphere. Beats just sitting there like a bunch of muppets any day.

Guest malandro

I sit in the East Stand and last night i could hear plenty people singing and trying to join in, obviously people were unaware of some of the new songs but they will catch after a couple of games.

Its a shame some people who sit in L7 seem to have the were better than everyone else attitude

I would say on the contrary. I would consider The East Stand to have the attitude problem. (my evidence is based on the majority)

Why do they feel they need not to join in with the rest of the Ground when we "stand up if we love the Toon"? loads of people stand up when singing stand up if you love the toon

Why do they feel they need not to wave their free Black and white flags as a sign of defiance, commanded to by none other than Sir Alan of Shearer, live on TV as the teams emerge into the arena of a relegation 6 pointer? yes we did, alot of the east stand were waving flags, i was there waving my flag too

Why do patrons feel they need to tell you to "sit down" if you happen to still be on your feet more than 4 seconds after KO? no idea what you mean here

Why does the place still smell of piss after nearly 40 years  :lol: childish dig or due to neither current or previous chairman have invested in redecorating inside as it is desperatly outdated.

Why do patrons take a novel to read at half time? majority go inside at h/t its a small stand and usually difficult to move around

Why is there little animation towards a player/referee from patrons close to a controversial touchline incident? People get chucked out of the Gallowgate for such protests? people who get annoyed, stand up, swear & shout towards players & referees, maybe the stewards are more lenient in the East Stand due to there never being much bother cause its not full of chav kids

And most importantly of all...why is there very little atmosphere at all in a compact stand with 6000 people in it? ive sat there since i was 5, im now 22 & id say there is an atmosphere in the East Stand but due to it being the smallest stand its normally deafened by the rest of the ground

Now, it cant be down to the fact that members of the East Stand dont love the toon as much as the other stands! So logically it can only be down to...

A...the East Stand has an attitude, not wanting to join in with everyone else.    

or

B. Laziness/boring b****** disease.

Another childish dig which serves no purpose to your arguement

I bet I could find atleast 25,000 people who will disagree with you.

The rest of it was mainly  :fishing: tbh. I used to sit in the East Stand...hence I know about the being tapped on the shoulder and being told to sit down 2 seconds after K.O.

The Shearer flag thing against Boro last year was embarrasing. You may have been waving your flag but there were thousands who simply didnt!

As Malandro said

A lot of the supporters in the east stand have been supporting the club longer than most the people in the LC have been alive. They’ve seen it all before and grew out of the ‘shoes off’ stage years ago, just because they haven’t got their heads stuck up their arse doesn’t make them lesser supporters. It may take a lot to get them excited but don’t confuse that with a lack of passion.

I dont care how old and decrepit they are? I dont care how much it takes to get excited? 5-0 obviously does nowt???  But if your manager tells you to wave a flag on the brink of relegation in a 6 point local Derby and it is too much trouble...then they should think about handing over their tickets to the youth and let them get behind the team. Then East Standians  can "support" the team just as "passionately" sitting at home with their Tartan Blankets, Cherry Bakewells, Slippers and Pipes listening to the Wireless!

I was in the Leazes for the Boro game and there were plenty of flags being waved in the ES, and despite bring quieter than other parts of the ground the ES does contribute to the atmosphere. 

The 6000 in the ES also contribute about 4 times as much money to the clubs coffers as the LC does, if they all stayed at home the club would have to quadruple the cost of a ticket in the LC to claw back the lost revenue.... how would you fancy paying £1000+ for a ST in the LC?

I take your point, but generalisations are hard to avoid and the average age in the LC has to be significantly lower than the rest of the ground.  Apart from the ever expanding family section, which is another contributing factor to the decline in the atmosphere as it acts as barrier to the chants emanating from the LC reaching the Gallowgate, and vice versa.

The real problem with the singing section is the location. It doesnt really connect with the rest of the ground and is so far from the pitch that many long time supporters simply wouldnt consider moving there. If youve grown up being able to see the detail of the play upping sticks to L7 is a big sacrifice. So weve ended up with a singing section that doesnt accurately represent the crowd as a whole. It isnt a catalyst for getting chants going, its just its own little world. Again this isnt a criticism of its occupants; its not their fault Ashley decided to stick the singing section in the remotest part of the ground.

The important thing is to remember we all support the club and the reason theres more noise from the LC isnt because its jammed packed with uber supporters. Wed be far better off campaigning for the singing section to be extended into the lower corner of the Leazes (or something like that) than slagging each other off.  In an ideal world this is the kind of stuff NUST would be getting involved in but for whatever reason theyre not.

The Leazes corner became the singing section for two reasons.  The first was that the away fans who were put in the corner made a massive amount of noise and it was thought that the acoustics were better in the corner.  That's probably right as the corner has two walls for the sound to bounce off and it's thrown towards the pitch.  The other reason was to put the away fans at the end of the Leazes which meant that we had less empty seats due to segregation.  That was a good move by the club and it wasn't Ashley who made the decision, it was the Chairman at the time.

It probably was, but I'd take that atmosphere over the deafeningly silent ones. Sometimes, people have such a negative attitude towards people that want to sing and create atmosphere, that I've enjoyed games with lots of negative atmosphere. At least there's passion.

Ironically, one of the most impressive recent atmospheres was the hammering by Liverpool the following season when there was barely any negativity and plenty of positive singing throughout the majority of the game. To be honest, if I'd have been a Liverpool fan, I'd have left that game slightly embarrassed at being outsung.

It probably was, but I'd take that atmosphere over the deafeningly silent ones. Sometimes, people have such a negative attitude towards people that want to sing and create atmosphere, that I've enjoyed games with lots of negative atmosphere. At least there's passion.

Ironically, one of the most impressive recent atmospheres was the hammering by Liverpool the following season when there was barely any negativity and plenty of positive singing throughout the majority of the game. To be honest, if I'd have been a Liverpool fan, I'd have left that game slightly embarrassed at being outsung.

I remember this well, the Leazes End was rocking simply out of defiance, and it made me feel incredibly proud.

I remember this well, the Leazes End was rocking simply out of defiance, and it made me feel incredibly proud.

I agreed with your posts about that game as well. You're posts are good imo Heza. If everyone had your mentality, we would have one of the loudest supports in the world.

I take your point, but generalisations are hard to avoid and the average age in the LC has to be significantly lower than the rest of the ground.  Apart from the ever expanding family section, which is another contributing factor to the decline in the atmosphere as it acts as barrier to the chants emanating from the LC reaching the Gallowgate, and vice versa.

The real problem with the singing section is the location. It doesn’t really connect with the rest of the ground and is so far from the pitch that many long time supporters simply wouldn’t consider moving there. If you’ve grown up being able to see the detail of the play upping sticks to L7 is a big sacrifice. So we’ve ended up with a singing section that doesn’t accurately represent the crowd as a whole. It isn’t a catalyst for getting chants going, it’s just its own little world. Again this isn’t a criticism of its occupants; it’s not their fault Ashley decided to stick the singing section in the remotest part of the ground.

The important thing is to remember we all support the club and the reason there’s more noise from the LC isn’t because it’s jammed packed with uber supporters. We’d be far better off campaigning for the singing section to be extended into the lower corner of the Leazes (or something like that) than slagging each other off.  In an ideal world this is the kind of stuff NUST would be getting involved in but for whatever reason they’re not.

The Leazes corner became the singing section for two reasons.  The first was that the away fans who were put in the corner made a massive amount of noise and it was thought that the acoustics were better in the corner.  That's probably right as the corner has two walls for the sound to bounce off and it's thrown towards the pitch.  The other reason was to put the away fans at the end of the Leazes which meant that we had less empty seats due to segregation.  That was a good move by the club and it wasn't Ashley who made the decision, it was the Chairman at the time.

Without trying to blow 'our' own trumpets the 'Ultras' did their upmost to obtain a singing section. Two blocks, three-quarter full next to the away fans led to us taking a full portfolio or whatever you want to call it to the clubs officials, asking for a singing section - a certain Russell Cushion (?) was who we took it to. A year later the singing section was introduced and the re-jigging of sections of the ground began.

They obviously recognised the need for the atmosphere to change and addressed it. Fair enough, it would be better in the lower parts of the ground - but as many 'East Standians' would put it who would want thousands of Charvas singing cringeworthy shite next to the pitch. (Or to put it my way, why would the club want to charge £5 less than what they could charge people for sitting/standing in that section of the ground.)

The whole ground is fast becoming more positive, and the Leazes Corner is respected by most imo. (Which isn't the Ultras because they just make a tiny minority of it). But those interested in making a vocal backing have fast gone to the heavens and it's been the best decision the board have made in the last 2 or 3 years.

I must admit, I get pissed off with the attitude of Level 7 being full of kiddy charvas with little sense or wit, simply because a lot of people who say that have probably never experienced it before. Then again, I would be pissed off thinking I paid £1,000 for a season ticket and told I was a shit fan because I barely sang. In reality, that is football these days and we should all learn to get along. We all support the same team, whether it be financially or vocally.

Two final things to consider though, those who sit in the East Stand have probably been there, done that and done all the vocal shite, relegations and promotions. BUT - those in Level 7 might be there one day - you can't exactly hold our fucking age against us, because believe me when I say that at least 90% of that lot up there will be there in 30years time, just like the elder lot in the East Stand, so years of support is irrelevant. Also, those in Level 7, I would say are the vast majority of our away contingency, so while a lot of us sit back saying our fans are great they took 6,000 to Barnsley and basically made it their own, please remember where these are likely to be sat at home games.

All an opinion like...but I'm trying to balance things out here.

I have to say i don't really  see many young charvers in leazes corner where i sit. Main age group is probably 18-30. And there is plenty of 35+ up there. Good mix of young and old.

YOUR FROM FENHAM YOU ARE THE CHARVERS MAN!!!!!

:thup:

Guest toonlass

I have to say i don't really  see many young charvers in leazes corner where i sit. Main age group is probably 18-30. And there is plenty of 35+ up there. Good mix of young and old.

This tbh. All around me there are older people (well older than the charvers that are stereotyped). People in their 20's-40's in the main and apart from the two young lads who sit right next to me (they look about 11 if I had to guess) and my 11 year old lass I can't think of any young uns around me.

charvers = anyone aged 10-40 that turns up at the football with the intention of enjoying themselves / consuming alcohol / making noise / dressing in branded clothing

That's a weird definition, but whatever.

The real problem with the singing section is the location. It doesn’t really connect with the rest of the ground and is so far from the pitch that many long time supporters simply wouldn’t consider moving there. If you’ve grown up being able to see the detail of the play upping sticks to L7 is a big sacrifice. So we’ve ended up with a singing section that doesn’t accurately represent the crowd as a whole. It isn’t a catalyst for getting chants going, it’s just its own little world. Again this isn’t a criticism of its occupants; it’s not their fault Ashley decided to stick the singing section in the remotest part of the ground.

The important thing is to remember we all support the club and the reason there’s more noise from the LC isn’t because it’s jammed packed with uber supporters. We’d be far better off campaigning for the singing section to be extended into the lower corner of the Leazes (or something like that) than slagging each other off.  In an ideal world this is the kind of stuff NUST would be getting involved in but for whatever reason they’re not.

Without trying to blow 'our' own trumpets the 'Ultras' did their upmost to obtain a singing section. Two blocks, three-quarter full next to the away fans led to us taking a full portfolio or whatever you want to call it to the clubs officials, asking for a singing section - a certain Russell Cushion (?) was who we took it to. A year later the singing section was introduced and the re-jigging of sections of the ground began.

They obviously recognised the need for the atmosphere to change and addressed it. Fair enough, it would be better in the lower parts of the ground - but as many 'East Standians' would put it who would want thousands of Charvas singing cringeworthy s**** next to the pitch. (Or to put it my way, why would the club want to charge £5 less than what they could charge people for sitting/standing in that section of the ground.)

The whole ground is fast becoming more positive, and the Leazes Corner is respected by most imo. (Which isn't the Ultras because they just make a tiny minority of it). But those interested in making a vocal backing have fast gone to the heavens and it's been the best decision the board have made in the last 2 or 3 years.

I must admit, I get pissed off with the attitude of Level 7 being full of kiddy charvas with little sense or wit, simply because a lot of people who say that have probably never experienced it before. Then again, I would be pissed off thinking I paid £1,000 for a season ticket and told I was a s*** fan because I barely sang. In reality, that is football these days and we should all learn to get along. We all support the same team, whether it be financially or vocally.

Two final things to consider though, those who sit in the East Stand have probably been there, done that and done all the vocal s****, relegations and promotions. BUT - those in Level 7 might be there one day - you can't exactly hold our f***ing age against us, because believe me when I say that at least 90% of that lot up there will be there in 30years time, just like the elder lot in the East Stand, so years of support is irrelevant. Also, those in Level 7, I would say are the vast majority of our away contingency, so while a lot of us sit back saying our fans are great they took 6,000 to Barnsley and basically made it their own, please remember where these are likely to be sat at home games.

All an opinion like...but I'm trying to balance things out here.

Good post, very fair :clap:

charvers = anyone aged 10-40 that turns up at the football with the intention of enjoying themselves / consuming alcohol / making noise / dressing in branded clothing

Blatant charva tbh.