Foreign NUFCs

Ketsbaia

This is one mostly for the non-English.

NUFC is synonymous with being a big club with a great history and passionate fans. However, with the constant managerial changes, high profile failures and off the pitch scandals, we're one big soap opera! We tend to be the laughing stock of the country.....but the potential is there for something big.

Every country must have one. For example, Atletico Madrid are undoubtedly the ‘Spanish NUFC’

So which other clubs are the so called ‘foreign NUFCs’?

Lillestrøm in Norway.

Well, i always consider Brann to be more of the NUFC type of clubs tbh.

They've won the league just a few seasons ago, man :lol:

That said, if they hadn't I'd have said them over Lillestrøm.

I would have to say The Cubs are the closest to being the Newcastle of America (as far as baseball goes).

Maybe as far as winning anything, but the've never even been close (so no tragic failure... just failure) - also the Cubs are the affluent and very white northern-suburban demographic of Chicago which is also a two team town... the demographics kill the compason for me.

That said I can't think of any other baseball team that would be a better fit... but I've never been a fan.

I would have to say The Cubs are the closest to being the Newcastle of America (as far as baseball goes).

Maybe as far as winning anything, but the've never even been close (so no tragic failure... just failure) - also the Cubs are the affluent and very white northern-suburban demographic of Chicago which is also a two team town... the demographics kill the compason for me.

That said I can't think of any other baseball team that would be a better fit... but I've never been a fan.

My other two would be the Cards or the Red Sox but both have been pretty good about actually winning stuff.

how about the pittsburgh pirates, based on the demographic and attitude of the pittsburgh teams ?

Schalke?

Great home attendances etc, unlucky in cup finals (though they won the waffa cup in 97).....they also threw away a fairly big lead and lost the title a good few years back to Bayern Munich :(

Isn't Newcastle twinned with them?

Marseille in France definitely.

In very recent years are. Historically, they are canny massive compared to us.

Yeh. I'd say Paris St Germain are more similar (despite their Cup Winners Cup win).

And in Germany, Schalke is probably closest. What about Italy?? I can't immediately think of one.

how about the pittsburgh pirates, based on the demographic and attitude of the pittsburgh teams ?

Like I said I've never been a fan, but I think the Pirates have won the title recently... which would make them a bad comparison. I know less about Pittsburgh demographically then Chicago (I've never been to P-town) but I know this little factoid about the Pirates:

Fidel Castro was a prospect and the scouts argued about offering him a contract after he did some practices.

Imagine what things would be like if he played professional Baseball in the US?

Lillestrøm in Norway.

Well, i always consider Brann to be more of the NUFC type of clubs tbh.

They've won the league just a few seasons ago, man :lol:

That said, if they hadn't I'd have said them over Lillestrøm.

For the first time since 1963. LSK have won it four times since then, and won the cup in 2007. They're hardly starved for success. Despite that, they only draw half as big crowds as Brann do, and their fans aren't nearly as fickle.

No tragic failure? How about the 2003 NLCS when they were 5 outs away from going to the World Series before Steve Bartman's infamous run-in with Moises Alou? Or the regular season collapse in '69? Or the NLCS heartbreak against the Padres in '84? They haven't won the World Series since 1908 (the longest drought in North American sports) and haven't been in it since '45.

Like I said I've never been a fan, but I think the Pirates have won the title recently... which would make them a bad comparison. I know less about Pittsburgh demographically then Chicago (I've never been to P-town).

The Pirates last won the World Series in 1979. They also won it in 1960 on a dramatic Game 7 walk-off HR against the Yankees. They had some heartbreak in the early 90's and have been absolutely dreadful since then. I think the city is a decent comparison, but not the team.

The Red Sox were definitely the best comparison until 2004. Maybe we'll win two titles in 4 years (yeah right). Another possible comparison is the Cleveland Indians. A team people like to make fun of, most notably when they were the subject of the movie "Major League." A team that hasn't won the World Series since 1948, lost in the WS in '95, and were two outs away from winning it in '97. To add to that, the city of Cleveland hasn't had a championship in any sport since some time in the 60's when the Browns won (pre-Super Bowl). The Cavs (NBA) have never won the title.