Carroll Has Been Charged With Assault

Crumpy Gunt

What could he be facing if he is found guilty?

A severe ticking off?

Don't know the details but sounds like something and nothing TBH. I know footballers should be more careful, but I wonder if they also attract harsher treatment from the police and CPS.

Not prison, a fine and maybe some community service.

I dunno, a judge wouldn't make an example of a footballer like Gerrard, but someone lower down the food chain with less impact and they could feel it's their duty to tear the lad a new one. I'm sure a lot of people out there would love to see him go down just because he's a footballer, there's even a large % of our own fans who want to see it happen.

Not prison, a fine and maybe some community service.

I dunno, a judge wouldn't make an example of a footballer like Gerrard, but someone lower down the food chain with less impact and they could feel it's their duty to tear the lad a new one. I'm sure a lot of people out there would love to see him go down just because he's a footballer, there's even a large % of our own fans who want to see it happen.

It's magistrates not a Judge. (Might be a district Judge mind, but still)...

There is no chance he'll go to prison, no one would, unless they spat in the magistrates' faces, he'll probably just get a fine without the community service and people will say he got off lightly because he is a footballer, when in reality he got the same everyone else does.

no info on there about what level of assualt he has been charged with?  the end result will depend on this.

If it involved a glass though as rported in the press, its likely to be more than a slap on the wrist or a haircut.

also everyone has their first appearance at mags court, it may well be that the case gets heard at crown.

Guest dazzanufc1892

generically labelled as assault but will be battery.

First offence, i'll go for a fine, providing no mitigating factors are involved. Unless he gets a twatty mag who wants to prove a bit of a point and get his name in the press, then he will get some com service for like 10 hours.

Guest toonlass

In England and Wales, a person guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, or on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to a fine not exceeding the prescribed sum, or to both.

In England and Wales, a person guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, or on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to a fine not exceeding the prescribed sum, or to both.

Have you not heard that prisons are quite full? He's not going to prison, it took a string of at least similar offences by Joey Barton for him to go in prison for 6 weeks ffs, no chance.

What were Barton's string of offences?

Barton has found himself at the centre of controversy outside football. In May 2005 he broke a 35-year-old pedestrian's leg while driving his car through Liverpool city centre at 2 am.[111] He was arrested on suspicion of assault and criminal damage after an alleged argument with a taxi driver in Liverpool while going to his hotel after a match on 13 March 2007.[112] He was cleared of this charge in May 2008.[113] On 27 December 2007, Barton was arrested on suspicion of assault in the Church Street area of Liverpool city centre following an incident which took place at 5:30 am.[114] He was remanded in custody on 28 December since the alleged offence was committed whilst he was on bail for two prior offences; the presiding magistrate noted "I also have to consider the safety of the public - you lashed out indiscriminately".[115] He was later charged with common assault and affray, and was sentenced to six months in prison on 20 May 2008.

So he wasn't convicted of anything before being sent to prison then, though he was on bail at the time of that offence which counted against him. Carroll has a very recent caution for assault. He might do time, he might not, may depend on his plea - don't count your chickens though, use of a weapon is a big aggravating factor.