Jeff Vetere (Newcastle's Scouting Network)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I know I should probably know this, (sorry I don't!), but has Jeff Vetere left the club since the Keegan Tribunal? Haven't seen any mention of his name associated with Newcastle for months and with us bringing in a new Scout seems possible he's left after the inquest finished.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

jiminez left but there has been no news about vetere. he is still on fm2010 for us

haha not really a great source of info, since I put/kept him there. That's why I'm asking as I'm updating the Toon file for FM10 now, and I've got a feeling Vetere isn't at the club anymore.

jiminez left but there has been no news about vetere. he is still on fm2010 for us

haha not really a great source of info, since I put/kept him there. That's why I'm asking as I'm updating the Toon file for FM10 now, and I've got a feeling Vetere isn't at the club anymore.

Might be worth a try asking someone like George Caulkin on twatter.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Might be worth a try asking someone like George Caulkin on twatter.

Man, I never thought about that, good shout, Greg.

You know this mackem guy Vic Halom.. he works as a scout for the club, I think he's married and lives in Bulgaria.. I had a little chat with him towards the end of last season. He spoke very kindly of Vetere, claiming he's a hard-working guy, very highly regarded in the game, that he rebuilt the Newcastle scouting setup from scratch.. etc.. I remember asking him about any concrete players, he refused to go into detail but said that the club have a detailed file for EVERY promising young player across Europe..

Anyway, the news of Carr's appointment the other day must mean that Vetere's gone.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah Vetere has always been highly rated, and it would be a shame if he's gone. Interesting you mention Vic Halom living in Bulgaria, is he still there? (Could probably update FM info so he has Bulgarian knowledge).

Yeah Vetere has always been highly rated, and it would be a shame if he's gone. Interesting you mention Vic Halom living in Bulgaria, is he still there? (Could probably update FM info so he has Bulgarian knowledge).

No idea mate..The guy that introduced me to Halom said that his wife is bulgarian and he has lived here for the last couple of years. I had a 5 minute chat with him back then and he didn't really share anything interesting, apart for a few general thoughts on football which left me wondering how somebody who's such a passionate fan of the mackems can work for us..

I know for a fact that he often attended Levski Sofia games and training sessions last season. I guess you can expand his scouting knowledge in Eastern Europe.. I doubt he's been hired to scout only in Bulgaria.. Then again I'm not sure if he still works for the club.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Thanks for the info anyway, Junkhead, scouts are probably the hardest parts to get right in FM as there's no knowledge/talk of them :(

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

According to wiki (i know it's still not concrete) he's still here at the club.

Its usually me or Michael Foster, or some Norwegian guy, who updates the Toon Wiki!

no probs.. Remember Pablo Longoria :lol: .. The "FM scout kid" we had, I don't know if you've updated him but he's supposed to work for Recreativo nowadays.

Actually, I've still got him down for the Toon. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into that.

Guest palnese

Is Lil Fucillo a real person?

Aye.

On 21 March 2008, Lil Fucillo was appointed chief scout for Newcastle United. On 3 September 2009 he left Newcastle United to take up a similar position at Championship rivals Swansea City. wiki

You know this mackem guy Vic Halom.. he works as a scout for the club, I think he's married and lives in Bulgaria.. I had a little chat with him towards the end of last season. He spoke very kindly of Vetere, claiming he's a hard-working guy, very highly regarded in the game, that he rebuilt the Newcastle scouting setup from scratch.. etc.. I remember asking him about any concrete players, he refused to go into detail but said that the club have a detailed file for EVERY promising young player across Europe..

Anyway, the news of Carr's appointment the other day must mean that Vetere's gone.

Was it Vetere who recommended Xisco to sign? because if he's so highly rated he sure fucked up on that one.

Norman Wooster is very very often scouting in Scandinavia and follows Scandinavian teams, his knowledge of Norwaya and Sweden should be higher. I've even seen him watching my second division club here once.

For source confirmation other than my word of him being responsible for Scandinavia, there's mention of it quite a few times in the Chron.

Its usually me or Michael Foster, or some Norwegian guy, who updates the Toon Wiki!

Bad idea trusting Foster, the man is a liability. :razz:

no probs.. Remember Pablo Longoria :lol: .. The "FM scout kid" we had, I don't know if you've updated him but he's supposed to work for Recreativo nowadays.

Actually, I've still got him down for the Toon. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into that.

Was Longoria this lad who was looking up players on YouTube and that?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Was Longoria this lad who was looking up players on YouTube and that?

That was the rumor, not sure if it was true or not.

Since I've lived in North America, for 8 or the last 12 years, I've become more interested in the NFL. Now the super bowl is over the focus shifts to the Draft. The draft is a fasinating process, it's basically like over a weekend your club adds 7 or more of the best young players in the world, the worse you did last year the better your choice. The reason I bring that up here is that it struck me how much better the scouting is for the NFL than for our game. The scouting combine comes up at the end of this month, here the draft hopefuls will be tested and interviewed by the teams. The GMs and scouts of the teams have already been to see the prospects they could be interested in, watched hours of tape on them and started to prepare their draft boards, rating prospects from best to worst. I already know more about the strengths and weaknesses of some of the best prospects that my team (the Dolphins) will be interested, than I'll ever know about a player NUFC might sign in the summer. Another important aspects is that their scouting does not limit itself to talent or size and shape, they also scout the "intangibles" such as character, leadership, off the field issues, something I think we've been guilty in the past of not looking into or just glossing over.

I really think NUFC should take a leaf out of the NFL teams investment in scouting and really invest heavly in it. Ashley and Wise and the rest of the fools in charge, had the right idea here, scouting and finding hidden gems is how you build up a strong club, I hope with the fall out from the last year or so we don't sink back to the old days where scouting was practically non existent. I've been reading Sir Bobby's autobiography, and he was pretty harsh on the state of scouting prior to his arrival, the clud didn't even have a chief scout, he brought in Charlie Woods for that role.

Guest michaelfoster

Bad idea trusting Foster, the man is a liability. :razz:

I never update wiki tbf