If Martin o Neill

Guest Hibbits left foot

O'NEILL is no doubt a good manager but i lost a lot of respect for him when he took the Villa job, he was blatently offered not only the toon job but prob the boro job however he turned it down to join villa, IMO he bottled it, he has took a job where even if he was to finish 12th he would have pleased his supporters not forgetting the fact that he would have known all about the take over and the large sums of cash that would be available to spend, he bottled it simple as that, wont come to a club with expectations !!!!

Bottled it?  Hardly.  I personally think he fancied a challenge, and there are good reasons why a manager would not want to come here.  I also think O'Neill's the type of guy that would admire a club like Villa and their history.

O'NEILL is no doubt a good manager but i lost a lot of respect for him when he took the Villa job, he was blatently offered not only the toon job but prob the boro job however he turned it down to join villa, IMO he bottled it, he has took a job where even if he was to finish 12th he would have pleased his supporters not forgetting the fact that he would have known all about the take over and the large sums of cash that would be available to spend, he bottled it simple as that, wont come to a club with expectations !!!!

I doubt he was offered the job here.

Fancied a challenge.....a team that aint won out for how many years??? is that not a challenge.  If newcastle united are not offering the likes of o'neill a job then what does that say about us, i imagine and hope that we would have !

Guest geordieracer

the villa fans i know, have high ambitions just like us, i know quite a lot of villa fans and i don't know any who would be happy with 12th tbh they all want to be playing in europe etc like us, but tbf they've done something in europe we've done f**k all

i don't blame him what so ever for going to villa, i mean the newcastle job is almost as hard as the england job, and if i was a nuetral manager i would have probably gone to villa with everything they having going for them at the moment,

the villa fans i know, have high ambitions just like us, i know quite a lot of villa fans and i don't know any who would be happy with 12th tbh they all want to be playing in europe etc like us, but tbf they've done something in europe we've done f**k all

i don't blame him what so ever for going to villa, i mean the newcastle job is almost as hard as the england job, and if i was a nuetral manager i would have probably gone to villa with everything they having going for them at the moment,

I'm not sure that I agree that the Newcastle job is harder than any other job, how many clubs generate the cash that comes with 52,000 people turning up for league games.

Newcastle are just as capable of winning something as most other clubs, at least we would be if we were run more professionally.  The club should be easier to manage than many of the clubs above us in the league, smaller clubs with less income.   

Saying the job is harder is just an excuse for failure.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

I'm convinced the reason O'Neill didn't become the Toon boss in the summer is because he didn't want to work for Fat Fred. Unfortunately Fat Fred's reputation goes before him and no manager worth his salt would even consider working for him. That's why we end up with shite like Souness and Roeder.

I'm convinced the reason O'Neill didn't become the Toon boss in the summer is because he didn't want to work for Fat Fred. Unfortunately Fat Fred's reputation goes before him and no manager worth his salt would even consider working for him. That's why we end up with shite like Souness and Roeder.

Shepherd wanted a yes man so he could continue to meddle in team affairs

We wouldn't be happy with 12th normally, but given the fact that MON was appointed less than 2 weeks before the start of the season, had no money to spend as the takeover didnt go through in time, and had to work with what we *thought* was a shit squad under O'Leary, we'd have taken a top half finish for this season.

For what its worth, I think a lot of the reasons MON came to us is that he is a Midlands football man. He won the European Cup twice with Forest then shortly after we won the league and the European Cup. This was a time when Midlands football was on a high. He knows about our history, he knows we've only won worthless cack like League Cups since then, he knows we've got higher expectations than that.

One thing we could see straight away was that he understood the club, understood the frustrations of the fans, and understood what we were looking for.

I also think the argument that he wouldnt want to work for FS has a certain amount of truth. He took the Villa job when Ellis was still in charge, but everyone knew Lerner's takeover was on the way. There were three other consortia in the running at the time, and they'd all said that whatever happened, they supported the appointment of MON. Interesting that before he was appointed, MON actually met several times with Lerner.

He knew what sort of regime was coming to the club, what sort of money would be involved, and that the board would devolve everything on the football side to him. Could you ever see FS being happy with that?

He's an astute judge of character, O'Neill, and he seems to have judged this board right. They've made all the right noises, simple stuff like open training sessions at VP, free travel to Chelsea, recognising the EC winning side around Villa Park rather than pretending it never happened like Ellis did. We even get board members posting on the three main Villa message boards. That's how quickly the atmosphere around the club has changed, and goes a long way towards explaining why MON took the job.

he bottled it simple as that, wont come to a club with expectations !!!!

I don't want to sound aggressive, but what arrogant nonsense. You think expectations at a club like Villa are any lower than they are at Newcastle?

There's a second tranche of clubs in England with similar expectation levels, and that includes both Villa and Newcastle.

But with our Premiership history of being a top 5 club time most of the time and higher some years,our expectations surely are higher than Villas who are rarely in the top 5.Of course our expectations at the moment are way down whereas the Villa are way above where they are usually in the League.Even Oleary had a season of over performing when they finished 6 th,just one place below our 5th,in a season when we think we under performed.

That is why our expectations aren't arrogant but something that we have become used to,ie European football,which now looks a million miles away,and makes them appear arrogant.

But with our Premiership history of being a top 5 club time most of the time and higher some years,our expectations surely are higher than Villas who are rarely in the top 5.Of course our expectations at the moment are way down whereas the Villa are way above where they are usually in the League.Even Oleary had a season of over performing when they finished 6 th,just one place below our 5th,in a season when we think we under performed.

That is why our expectations aren't arrogant but something that we have become used to,ie European football,which now looks a million miles away,and makes them appear arrogant.

As often quoted here, we've finished above Newcastle 5 out of the last 9 seasons, and that's without spending any real money and with the worst chairman in the world.  Since the Prem started you are the 5th best team, we are the 6th (yes, I know you had one season less there, but there's still not a very big gap).

As far as European football goes, as someone pointed out in this very thread, not only are we used to it, we've actually won something there too, although you have had more of it recently, of course.

Just to illustrate this point, here are the records for the last 10 years.

2006 - NU 7th AV 16th      newcastle highest

2005 - NU 14th AV 10th    villa highest

2004 - NU 6th AV 7th         newcastle highest

2003 - NU 3rd AV 16th     newcastle highest

2002 - NU 4th AV 8th        newcastle highest

2001 - NU 11th AV 8th      villa highest

2000 - NU 11th AV 6th        villa highest

1999 - NU 13th AV 6th      villa highest

1998 - NU 13th AV 7th      villa highest

1997 - NU 2nd AV 5th       newcastle highest

5 times you finished higher, 5 times we did.

I'd say that's a pretty evenly balanced record of mediocrity on both sides, don't make out comparing you to Villa is like comparing you to Boro, it is a totally different comparison.

As often quoted here, we've finished above Newcastle 5 out of the last 9 seasons, and that's without spending any real money and with the worst chairman in the world.  Since the Prem started you are the 5th best team, we are the 6th (yes, I know you had one season less there, but there's still not a very big gap).

As far as European football goes, as someone pointed out in this very thread, not only are we used to it, we've actually won something there too, although you have had more of it recently, of course.

Just to illustrate this point, here are the records for the last 10 years.

2006 - NU 7th AV 16th      newcastle highest

2005 - NU 14th AV 10th    villa highest

2004 - NU 6th AV 7th         newcastle highest

2003 - NU 3rd AV 16th     newcastle highest

2002 - NU 4th AV 8th        newcastle highest

2001 - NU 11th AV 8th      villa highest

2000 - NU 11th AV 6th        villa highest

1999 - NU 13th AV 6th      villa highest

1998 - NU 13th AV 7th      villa highest

1997 - NU 2nd AV 5th       newcastle highest

5 times you finished higher, 5 times we did.

I'd say that's a pretty evenly balanced record of mediocrity on both sides, don't make out comparing you to Villa is like comparing you to Boro, it is a totally different comparison.

Difference is, when we've been higher, we've been a lot higher. When you've been higher, more often than not we've both been mid-table.

Do you seriously think that if O'neill had of been offered the job at SJP he would have accepted.What  with the fat controller and the Halls at his back and Shearer ready to step in when everything looked rosey.Give the man some credit for intelligence.