Broadband speeds - do you get what you pay for?

Dave

Price per month (£) ÷ speed (Mb/s) =  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Price per month (£) ÷ speed (Mb/s) =

• £0 per Mb/s (free broadband)
    • Less than £2 per Mb/s
    • Up to £4 per Mb/s
    • Up to £6 per Mb/s
    • Up to £8 per Mb/s
    • Up to £10 per Mb/s
    • More than £10 per Mb/s

Take the number of quids you pay per month for broadband and divide it by your download speed (do a test here if you're unsure: www.speedtest.net) in Mb/s and vote for the relevant option in the poll above.

Example:

£15 per month ÷ 4Mb/s = £3.75 per Mb/s

If you get broadband for free please select the first option.

Cheers. :)

PS: mine is £36.00 per Mb/s. :lol: :-[

£1.57 per Mb/s here which is quite good compared to my neighbours, I had to go on the TT forum though and they were extremely helpful in finding the right balance in speed and stability.

BT were fucking useless and told me I could only get 4 meg less than what I'm getting now.

Guest firetotheworks

£15 per mb, but that includes phoneline.

£5 per mb then.

Someone told me that the Chinese are one some ridiculous maximum bandwidth now, and that internet usage has dropped massively because they dont have to wait for anything. All speculation like, I couldnt be arsed to look it up.

£15 per month ÷ 2.4Mb/s = £6.25 per Mb/s

Including free weekend and evening land line telephone calls which I barely ever use. 2.4Mb is the fastest I get. Unlimited downloads.

There is no cable available where I live. I can find other deals but all they ever tell you is what I could get 'up to' with them. I'm on 'up to 8Mb' with Virgin. I know it depends on how close you are to the telephone exchange but it also depends on how many other people are on in the same area. How do you know if another provider would be any faster than the one you are already with?

£15 per month ÷ 2.4Mb/s = £6.25 per Mb/s

Including free weekend and evening land line telephone calls which I barely ever use. 2.4Mb is the fastest I get. Unlimited downloads.

There is no cable available where I live. I can find other deals but all they ever tell you is what I could get 'up to' with them. I'm on 'up to 8Mb' with Virgin. I know it depends on how close you are to the telephone exchange but it also depends on how many other people are on in the same area. How do you know if another provider would be any faster than the one you are already with?

If you're on a LLU service the traffic is routed through an ISP's own network so it'll probably be less contended than if you're on a resold BT service (which as far as I know non-cable Virgin is). There's no guarantee it would give much quicker headline speeds though, it could just be less congested and therefore more reliable.

If you're on a LLU service the traffic is routed through an ISP's own network so it'll probably be less contended than if you're on a resold BT service (which as far as I know non-cable Virgin is). There's no guarantee it would give much quicker headline speeds though, it could just be less congested and therefore more reliable.

Looking at my telephone exchange Virgin isn't listed under LLU operator presence: -

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NEB

2.4Mbps isn't bad and I rarely have a problem with my connection (i.e. it doesn't drop) so I'll probably just stick with them.

It's a shame I can't get cable from Virgin. Has any new cable been laid since the days of NTL/Telewest? I've never heard of Virgin laying cable.

Does anyone use those dongle things?

Im looking into completely wireless internet but Ive heard the speeds are shockingly slow and they have a low download limit. Vodafone seem to be the best. Is that right?

Cheers for any advice.

Im looking into completely wireless internet but Ive heard the speeds are shockingly slow and they have a low download limit. Vodafone seem to be the best. Is that right?

Cheers for any advice.

only use mine when out and about, speeds are slow and the download limit is 1gb (for the one i've got). no way would i swap it for my standard broadband.

Cheers for any advice.

only use mine when out and about, speeds are slow and the download limit is 1gb (for the one i've got). no way would i swap it for my standard broadband.

Cheers. Thought so. Just looking to get rid of the BT landline thats all.

Cheers for any advice.

Cheers. Thought so. Just looking to get rid of the BT landline thats all.

infact for what i use it for, now i have a better phone i'll probably be getting rid of the dongle.

I'm with sky the whole bundle tv phone internet so not sure how much the net by its self is, but i think its about £20 so that's £2.5 /mbit as i'm on ~ 8Meg

Being on 8Mb/s and getting 8Mb/s are two entirely different things though. I'm on 'up to 8Mb/s' but the fastest I actually get is 2.4Mb/s. What do you get if you run: - www.speedtest.net

Mobile broadband is what it says it is - for popping on the net using your laptop when out and about (and any decision to buy it should be taken on the value you will get from that). It is not fast or reliable enough and the limits are too low to replace a wired broadband connection.

Anyway, I pay £17.88 for an "up to" 24mb connection from which I get 8.4mb download. Comes out at just over £2/mb. Pretty awful that really.

These figures would be significantly worse if everyone added on the £11 per month they have to pay for line rental (non-Virgin Media people).

If I add it on I'm paying nearly £60 per Mb/s. Scandalous really.