The Militant Ideology Atlas

Rehhagel

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/atlas/default.asp

From the Combating Terrorism Centre at the U.S Military Academy at Westpoint.

CTC Releases Study of Jihadi Movement

The Combating Terrorism Center at West Point is pleased to announce the release of The Militant Ideology Atlas, an in-depth study of the Jihadi Movement's top thinkers and their most popular writings. This is the first systematic mapping of the ideology inspiring al-Qaeda.

The CTC’s researchers spent one year mining the most popular books and articles in al-Qaeda’s online library, profiling hundreds of figures in the Jihadi Movement, and cataloging over 11,000 citations. The empirically supported findings of the project are surprising:

- The most influential Jihadi intellectuals are clerics from Jordan and Saudi Arabia, two of  the US’s closest allies in the Middle East.

- Among them, the Jordanian cleric Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi has had the most impact on other Jihadi thinkers and has been the most consequential in shaping the worldview of the Jihadi Movement.

- In contrast, the study finds that Usama Bin Ladin and Ayman al-Zawahiri have had little influence on other Jihadi theorists and strategists.

The Executive Report summarizes the main conclusions of this comprehensive effort and provides policy-relevant recommendations informed by these findings. The Research Compendium contains summaries of all the texts used in the study as well as biographies of the texts' authors and the figures they cite most. A link to the entire database will be available soon.

I suppose they had to figure it out sometime. Better late than never. Remember Ho Chi Minh, Paris dishwasher. They were late on that one, particularly after the French screwed up too.

ahh but did he BECOME a terrorist because he'd been a dishwasher?

and was Hitler influenced by his visit to Liverpool to see his uncle in 1912?

We KNOW Osama is an Arsenal fan - which explains the lot IMHO

One of the earliest Israeli presidents was from BelFAAAAST

J V Stalin trained as a meteorologist

Geronimo was a peace loving rural herdsman

and of course Dr Duvalier was a GP

have you ever seen the interview he gave Alan WHicker back when?

Whicker has balls that's all I'd say - and the good Doctor was REALLY scarey.................

"Ahh - Mr Whicker, I am so disapointed with you!  I hoped a man like you, an international traveller, well educated would not be taken in by these...fairy stories.  I love my people but they are not well educated and have a lovely unsophisticated view of the world... "Ton-Ton Macoute" - "bogeymen" they say Mr Whicker......  I ask you? How anyone could believe such........  simple tales" 

"How anyone could believe such........ simple tales" Papa Doc

Guantanamo in years to come I'm afraid. History will efface it.

"I am  a country doctor Mr Whicker.... I didn't ask for this job - I dream of going back to my practise........."

I suspect JV Stalin would have sounded much the same

John Wayne Gacey was a kid's clown. Not strictly relevant but it is a Friday afternoon.

on thes oz already Alex????

I wish. I'll be in the departure lounge in an hour and a half though Berb.

I know Stalin was a failed priest, didn't know he could predict the weather. Still, Russia in summer 25C+ winter -25Cmin, whats to predict.

I remember the Whicker interview with Papa Doc, he did it with half an eye on Greene's "our Man in Havana" but what was really scary was his son - Baby Doc. Totally evil little sh-t. But of course both anti communist - so, tacit friends of you know who.

Hitler, scary bugger. But some similarity to Stalin. Both used and were used by others but both killed their enemies then killerd their supporters and died unloved, unwanted, alone, surrounded by frightened fanatics.

We tend to revere Churchill but he had a murky early life. Of course later he followed a clear path right to the point of asking the USA for the atom bomb so Britain could Nuke Russia. At a dinner during the Yalta conference he summed up Stalin who when proposing a toast to Peace had to contend with a Churchill aside to an aide of  "ä piece of Hungary, a piece of Poland, a piece of Germany."

Churchill was sound on Moslem Fanatics and on Boers and on Jormans

Sounds like a real patriot to me

JVS was never a priest - he was an altar boy and sang in the choir - had a really good voice apparently right to the end - never fiddled his expenses either and could be very loyal and helpful to old aquaintances - there is a file in moscow where some Tsarist officer was up in front of a Cheka tribunal and was sentenced to death but JVS wrote a note  "This officer was my jailer in Siberia and, as far as he could, treat me and other prisoners reasonably.  I would not wish him to come to any harm"  - that's what I call A TESTIMONIAL worth having

Hitler never laid a finger on anyone personally after WW1 I believe, nice man, kind to animals and children and respectful of women and the aged

"Hitler never laid a finger on anyone personally after WW1 I believe, nice man, kind to animals and children and respectful of women and the aged"

....and when he was broke in Vienna, he spent all his little monies on going to Wagner...He would always wear the one suit he posessed and carry a silver tipped shooting stick.

"Hitler never laid a finger on anyone personally after WW1 I believe, nice man, kind to animals and children and respectful of women and the aged"

....and when he was broke in Vienna, he spent all his little monies on going to Wagner...He would always wear the one suit he posessed and carry a silver tipped shooting stick.

.....and when he was Chancellor he would always send coffee and donuts to the little blind beggar on the corner in the wintertime.

Actually no, he had him arrested and liquidated for being imperfect.  Still he wasn't all bad, eh?

It was his failure to become an 'artist' and then an architect is where the trouble started.

........when raising money for the new Nazi party he used to frequent rich Vienesse parties and talk them out of their money....Ocassionally he pretended to drink some wine with them (although he hated the stuff)...For this purpose he used to carry a little bag of sugar with him to add to glass when no one was looking..... :lol:

It was his failure to become an 'artist' and then an architect is where the trouble started.

........when raising money for the new Nazi party he used to frequent rich Vienesse parties and talk them out of their money....Ocassionally he pretended to drink some wine with them (although he hated the stuff)...For this purpose he used to carry a little bag of sugar with him to add to glass when no one was looking..... :lol:

If you've ever seen any of his "art", you'll know why he failed.  Don't know what his architecture was like though, but I'm guessing it would have been big and overstated.

Wasn't he a vegetarian as well as being largely teetotal, and therefore rather un-Germanic in his eating/drinking habits?

Schnikelgruber was from a very very poor background, he grew up with the stigma of poverty and poor education, something he spent his whole life trying to correct. He had an inate and instinctive dislike of the frivolous upper middle classes of Berlin and Vienna and after his experiences in the WWI he realised that the army was his one true friend. Whichever way you look at it, weighed down by all his madness and delusion, he showed one helluva lot of willpower.

"After the second refusal from the Academy of Arts, Hitler gradually ran out of money. By 1909, he sought refuge in a homeless shelter, and by the beginning of 1910 had settled permanently into a house for poor working men." Wiki

Schnikelgruber was from a very very poor background, he grew up with the stigma of poverty and poor education, something he spent his whole life trying to correct. He had an inate and instinctive dislike of the frivolous upper middle classes of Berlin and Vienna and after his experiences in the WWI he realised that the army was his one true friend. Whichever way you look at it, weighed down by all his madness and delusion, he showed one helluva lot of willpower.

Maybe if he hadn't been discharged from the army through ill health (he was gassed IIRC), he would have made it all the way to sergeant major instead of murdering millions of innocent people.  I find it difficult to admire any aspect of the man tbh

"I find it difficult to admire any aspect of the man tbh..." Kitty

As a political being he was repulsive and flawed and fair to say merciless. But if you read about his early life: him the person, there are things there that are genuinely intriguing.

"I find it difficult to admire any aspect of the man tbh..." Kitty

As a political being he was repulsive and flawed and fair to say merciless. But if you read about his early life: him the person, there are things there that are genuinely intriguing.

Well, possibly, you have me there.  Maybe the good people of Linz should have paid more attention to his talents.....

His belief in the occult and his Jewish advisor...

"Nazi coffers had been drained dry by the campaign. Hitler had endured significant defections from his movement and threatened suicide. Some Nazis began to wonder if he had the right stuff to be their Führer.

It was at this point that Hitler, falling back on his belief in the occult, called the most renowned clairvoyant in the land to his headquarters at the Hotel Kaiserhof in Berlin for a private session. The man Hitler met with that day is the subject of a recent biography (the first in the English language), "Erik Jan Hanussen: Hitler's Jewish Clairvoyant," by Mel Gordon.

Hanussen, 43 at the time of the Hotel Kaiserhof session, was a man whose name was synonymous with psychic phenomena in Central Europe. The Vienna-born con man/celebrity seer was known for predicting the future, casting prescient horoscopes and astounding audiences with his feats of hypnotism and mind reading. In Berlin, Hanussen was a rock star before there were rock stars, with a vast business enterprise trading on the voracious German hunger for all things paranormal."

http://dir.salon.com/story/people/feature/2002/02/27/hanussen/index.html

Strange thing fate. blueyes.gif