Last-man foul red card rule to be reviewed

Village Idiot

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=740695&sec=global&cc=5901

Players may no longer be sent off for fouls which deny an obvious goal-scoring opportunity if the referee gives a penalty as well, under a proposal submitted to the game's rulemaking body.

There has been a growing chorus of opinion that the punishment is too harsh - a penalty, a red card for the defender and a subsequent suspension.

FIFA have submitted the item to the International Football Associations Board (IFAB) meeting on March 6 and the outcome may be that the offence is downgraded to a yellow card if a penalty is awarded.

The IFAB agenda released today says the FIFA submission is "to discuss sending-off offences, particularly the triple punishment (penalty kick, red card, player suspension) that results when a player denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to the opposing team''.

FIFA are also raising the issue of whether players should be allowed to feint at all during the run-up to take a penalty - for some penalty-takers such as Robbie Keane it has become a trademark of their spot-kick routine.

The current law is open to interpretation with feinting being permitted unless the referee considers it "an act of unsporting behaviour''.

The latest developments in goal-line technology and the on-going experiment in the Europa League of having two extra assistant referees behind each goal-line will also be discussed at the meeting in Zurich.

The IFAB is made up of the four home nations, who each have one vote, and FIFA, who have four. Any rule change needs a minimum of six votes in favour.

I'm not too sure about this. On one hand, I think the penalty+sending off is too harsh and kills games pretty often. However, I can see how this can lead to an increase of these fouls inside the box, which is not a desireable outcome.

Guest Heneage

I just think of Old Trafford 1-1 and Rob Lee's running through. For me a sending off wasn't punishment enough for what was clearly cheating, the player made no attempt to get the ball, and it's my gripe with OGS and to a wider degree the cunt Ferguson and all those who clapped him off.

I just think of Old Trafford 1-1 and Rob Lee's running through. For me a sending off wasn't punishment enough for what was clearly cheating, the player made no attempt to get the ball, and it's my gripe with OGS and to a wider degree the cunt Ferguson and all those who clapped him off.

Goddamn, I was having a good night too and now ... goddamn.   :angry:

I can't see this being a good idea. You'd see more defenders hacking down players as last man if they know they'll only get a yellow for it and take a chance with the pen.

Maybe it could be put in place for keepers. If a keeper does bring an attacker down in the box as the final hurdle (not deliberately of course) penalty + red card does seem a bit harsh.

I can't see this being a good idea. You'd see more defenders hacking down players as last man if they know they'll only get a yellow for it and take a chance with the pen.

Maybe it could be put in place for keepers. If a keeper does bring an attacker down in the box as the final hurdle (not deliberately of course) penalty + red card does seem a bit harsh.

this i agree with but defenders should still get a red card for clearly stopping a goal scoring chance, don't like then tough. But I do think there should be no suspension attached, save that for violent conduct or 2 yellows not a perhaps mistimed last ditch tackle

Like a few rules in football, why can't the referee just make his decision based on the actual context of the situation. Rather than just having set laws which blanket any kind of conduct that vaguely relates. For example, Rocha's should have been a booking and Solksjaer's should have been a sending off; similar incidents, but one was blatant cheating and one wasn't.

Though i suppose with the amount of cunts in the game nowadays it'd make it a bit of a nightmare for the refs.

The reason any sensible Toon fan despises Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, did not enhance reputation assauting Aaron Hughes either.

It should definitely be reviewed because many games have effectively ended once this happens and nobody wants that. Should definitely be penalty + booking.

Feinting penalties need to be stopped immediately.

Village Idiot has a good idea about a penalty regardless of where the foul occurs though. Shame it'll never happen....it's too radical for FIFA

Regarding the Rob Lee incident, I'm of the opinion that a foul denying a clear goalscoring opportunity should be always a pen even if it's outside the box.

I agree. That would be a far more sensible proposal than giving a red for outside the box and a yellow for inside.

Overall a pen and a yellow feels like the right punishment for all such fouls, from both teams' point of view. It's good that FIFA are looking at revising the law.

Guest Roger Kint

Regarding the Rob Lee incident, I'm of the opinion that a foul denying a clear goalscoring opportunity should be always a pen even if it's outside the box.

I agree. That would be a far more sensible proposal than giving a red for outside the box and a yellow for inside.

Overall a pen and a yellow feels like the right punishment for all such fouls, from both teams' point of view. It's good that FIFA are looking at revising the law.

I remember when penatly tires were intrduced to egg chasing and i thought that could be a possibility for football.

I can see the idea of not sending off the last man in some instances naturally, there is often a harsh red card issued however can we expect the current refs to use more common sense these days when they struggle with the basics? :undecided:

May be better left alone im afraid

Leave it to the referees discretion. If it is deliberate, stick with the red as is clearly unsporting behaviour, and the player chose to commit the foul and give away the penalty. He could have shown some intelligence and not made the foul.

However, if the ref thinks the defender made a genuine attempt to play the ball, or in the case of a non-intentional hand ball incident blocking a shot a yellow should be sufficient.

I remember when penatly tires were intrduced to egg chasing and i thought that could be a possibility for football.

I can see the idea of not sending off the last man in some instances naturally, there is often a harsh red card issued however can we expect the current refs to use more common sense these days when they struggle with the basics? :undecided:

May be better left alone im afraid

The thing is, you're already asking refs to distinguish between the foul in the goal-scoring position and other fouls. All you're changing is the punishment. In practice, you're not burdening them with any more authority or pressure.

Broadly agree with James ( :kasper:) and Yorkie about leaving it up to the ref to use his discretion and hand out whatever card he sees fit for each incident. The only problem with that would be that it would lead to inconsistency from game to game. Managers, fans and players would complain about every decision and compare it to a similar incident the previous week/month which led to a different punishment.

This is the crux of it though. Do you want consistency or common sense? You can't have both. Say what you like about the rule as it stands, at least everyone knows what the punishment for a 'professional foul' is. There's consistency. Scrap the rule and you get sensible, measured punishments but the consistency will go out of the window.

Tricky one.

Re the Ole Gunnar Solskjaer incident I think it was clearly 'bringing the game into disrepute' and as per obvious cases of diving and shirt pulling should be reviewed after the game with clubs going on an esculated fine of money then points for misbehaviour of its players. The clubs would soon reign in poor behaviour.

Guest firetotheworks

I dont think it's a good idea. It gives defenders an extra cheating option if someone's undoubtedly going to score. I agree with Yorkie's post.

Village Idiot's idea of giving a penalty for a foul that denys a clear opportunity is good on the surface, do you want to turn the whole pitch into a penalty area when you have professional divers on the pitch. They'd start throwing themselves around even more than they do now. Plus, the incident when Howard 'The Cunt' Webb sent off Bassong vs Fulham last year. An incident close to the touchline half way into your half with the ball running away from goal resulting in a penalty? The current rule (as well as the new offside rule) seem beyond the mental capabilities of many of the referees and linesmen at times, giving penalties from anywhere on the pitch would cause nothing but bother, on and off the field.

EDIT:- Also, I meant to say that if they want to make any major moves to change football then the big change they have to make is bring in the use of television replays in some manner.

Guest HGB1892

Re the Ole Gunnar Solskjaer incident I think it was clearly 'bringing the game into disrepute' and as per obvious cases of diving and shirt pulling should be reviewed after the game with clubs going on an esculated fine of money then points for misbehaviour of its players. The clubs would soon reign in poor behaviour.

Thing is with solskjaer though, look at how many medals he won. I wish our teams had the winning mentality that fergusons have had. He might be a cunt but he's a cunt who wins things.

Like a few rules in football, why can't the referee just make his decision based on the actual context of the situation. Rather than just having set laws which blanket any kind of conduct that vaguely relates. For example, Rocha's should have been a booking and Solksjaer's should have been a sending off; similar incidents, but one was blatant cheating and one wasn't.

Though i suppose with the amount of cunts in the game nowadays it'd make it a bit of a nightmare for the refs.

Spot on,the ref's should be able to use their discretion as and when red cards are issued.