Last-man foul red card rule to be reviewed

Village Idiot

I think the yellow card and penalty for a clear goalscoring opportunity outside the box is a great idea tbh.

I think giving penalties for infringements outside the box is a ridiculous and stupid idea.

I'd say the last man outside the box denies more clear goal scoring opportunities than 70% of shirt pulls, trips, handballs, etc that happen inside the box. Would have no problem with this being brought in one bit.

I think the yellow card and penalty for a clear goalscoring opportunity outside the box is a great idea tbh.

I think giving penalties for infringements outside the box is a ridiculous and stupid idea.

I'd say the last man outside the box denies more clear goal scoring opportunities than 70% of shirt pulls, trips, handballs, etc that happen inside the box. Would have no problem with this being brought in one bit.

And? Who gives a damn if it is cynical and prevents an opportunity. You get a yellow or red for that, it is not like there is no punishment. If it doesn't occur in the oenalty area, than it is not a penalty. That is really all there is to it, imo.

Guest optimistic nit

imo it should be an automatic yellow card if you deny someone a goal scoring opptunity and another yellow card if the fould was bad enough for it to be a yellow card anywhere else on the pitch so occasions where the player brings down someone as last man in the box but it was not a deliberate foul or a dangerous challenge are yellow cards but if it was a deliberate foul or a dangerous challenge then you get sent off.

still a lot of grey areas like, but it would be fairer overall imo.

And? Who gives a damn if it is cynical and prevents an opportunity. You get a yellow or red for that, it is not like there is no punishment. If it doesn't occur in the oenalty area, than it is not a penalty. That is really all there is to it, imo.

It boils down to what is the best punishment for a foul on someone in a goalscoring position. The present law has been going for over 20 years and it's about time it was looked at again.

If it's a goalscoring position, it shouldn't really matter whether the ball is inside the area or outside. It's a similar offence, and the punishment should be similar.

A red card is usually for violent offences, so never quite feels right for this kind of foul.

I know the principle that penalty kicks are only awarded for fouls in the penalty area has been intact for over 100 years, but it's not sacrosanct.

Just seen the sending-off in the Blackpool v Boro game. 1-0 to Blackpool, Scott McDonald tearing down on goal...hacked down deliberately 25 yards out.

Situations like that I'd have no problem at all with if the rule was changed to award a penalty because that would have been 1-1.

Just seen the sending-off in the Blackpool v Boro game. 1-0 to Blackpool, Scott McDonald tearing down on goal...hacked down deliberately 25 yards out.

Situations like that I'd have no problem at all with if the rule was changed to award a penalty because that would have been 1-1.

How do you know that?

There has been a growing chorus of opinion that the punishment is too harsh - a penalty, a red card for the defender and a subsequent suspension.

Well if you think the punishment is too harsh, don't foul the player?

Seems like the most obvious solution. No need to change anything IMO.

cheers, even more certain it's the right thing now.

Let's see how many attackers dive all over the field knowing they might get a penalty.

Agreed here, can see players breaking past the defence just past the half-way line and slowing to be caught up so they can be challenged from behind and make a meal of it, instant penalty. No thanks.

Let's see how many attackers dive all over the field knowing they might get a penalty.

Agreed here, can see players breaking past the defence just past the half-way line and slowing to be caught up so they can be challenged from behind and make a meal of it, instant penalty. No thanks.

They do that now anyway to get a player sent-off.

Guest neesy111

Fk that if your the last man you should go, fkn hell man they go real tough on stuff that should be relaxed on but this kind of thing has and always should be a red.

all depends, if the person brings the player down deliberately then yes, but if their is a genuine attempt to go for the ball then it shouldn't be

Fk that if your the last man you should go, fkn hell man they go real tough on stuff that should be relaxed on but this kind of thing has and always should be a red.

all depends, if the person brings the player down deliberately then yes, but if their is a genuine attempt to go for the ball then it shouldn't be

thats as it is supposed to be already (providing the attcaker has the ball.......you'll be amazed how mant twats scream "last man...off off off" when the forward hasn't even got the ball).

this kind of thing has and always should be a red.

Ah... some of us can remember when it wasn't necessarily a yellow. The movement for change started in about 1980, when Arsenal's Willie Young tripped a West Ham player in the Cup Final, when in a clear goalscoring position.

As with all rules, they didn't necessarily get it completely right first time, even though it may have been an improvement on what went on before. There hasn't been a serious review of this for 30 years, and it's about time.